Forum > Decoders > Installation > Xplora + SD PVR XtraView
Old 2015-05-19 , 10:18
Still listens to the wireless

Default Xplora + SD PVR XtraView

It’s been 3 months, many calls and contradictory messages received from various call centre agents and my DSTV Xtraview is still a problem that never was before I was given the Xplora!!!
I previously had a HD PVR (PACE) as the primary decoder linked to my SD PVR as the secondary decoder. All worked like a charm where the HD PVR gave 1 HD Channel to the 1st TV, and the SDPVR gave 2 separate channels to the 2nd and 3rd TV through its dual view capability. I also had the ability to watch the channel from the HDPVR on the 2nd TV when it was needed.
I received the Xplora from DSTV after they reported my HDPVR as Faulty and not having any stock to replace my HDPVR through their insurance –
After many times of trying various options, settings and cable changes instructed by the CC Agents – I don’t get close to the setup I had.
I was however quite excited last night when 1 of the call centre agents actually got me very close to the setup I had but it only lasted for an hour until the “Waiting for Communication…” appeared on my 2nd TV.
Whilst I’m hoping some success from this forum - I’m tired of running up my phone bill, explaining the same storey to different customer care agents, waiting for the “Critical centre” to call me promptly and being asked to bring all my decoders to Randburg…
Old 2015-05-19 , 10:41
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBoy View Post
It’s been 3 months, many calls and contradictory messages received from various call centre agents and my DSTV Xtraview is still a problem that never was before I was given the Xplora!!!
I previously had a HD PVR (PACE) as the primary decoder linked to my SD PVR as the secondary decoder. All worked like a charm where the HD PVR gave 1 HD Channel to the 1st TV, and the SDPVR gave 2 separate channels to the 2nd and 3rd TV through its dual view capability. I also had the ability to watch the channel from the HDPVR on the 2nd TV when it was needed.
I received the Xplora from DSTV after they reported my HDPVR as Faulty and not having any stock to replace my HDPVR through their insurance –
After many times of trying various options, settings and cable changes instructed by the CC Agents – I don’t get close to the setup I had.
I was however quite excited last night when 1 of the call centre agents actually got me very close to the setup I had but it only lasted for an hour until the “Waiting for Communication…” appeared on my 2nd TV.
Whilst I’m hoping some success from this forum - I’m tired of running up my phone bill, explaining the same storey to different customer care agents, waiting for the “Critical centre” to call me promptly and being asked to bring all my decoders to Randburg…
I can certainly help you with anything related to thew SD PVR setup and get you back to where you were before the change of the HD PVR to an Explora!. All that should have been required would have been to change some settings on the Explora to accommodate the SD PVR. and maybe some changes to the remotes.

So to make sure that we are on the same page, please provide me with the following information.

1. What does you is install look like?
  2. Type of LNB you are using, TWIN, Quad, etc.
  3. Do you have an Explora switch installed and if so is it the 5-2 version.
  4. How is the SD PVR connected to the switch? Which ports have been used.
  5. The HB cable: to which ports is it connected on both decoders?
  6. Are you using tvLINKs in your setup?
  7. Do you have an SLX splitter installed?
If you want you are free to send me a PM message and I will respond with a telephone number and I can talk you through the connections as well.

Once we have the all the connections sorted out, we will be able to make sure the configs are correct and then maybe another call to MC will be required.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2015-05-19 , 11:21
MultiChoice

@AndyBoy - MC Natasha has asked for you to please PM details so we can assist you directly.
Old 2015-05-19 , 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I can certainly help you with anything related to thew SD PVR setup and get you back to where you were before the change of the HD PVR to an Explora!. All that should have been required would have been to change some settings on the Explora to accommodate the SD PVR. and maybe some changes to the remotes.

So to make sure that we are on the same page, please provide me with the following information.

1. What does you is install look like?
  2. Type of LNB you are using, TWIN, Quad, etc.
  3. Do you have an Explora switch installed and if so is it the 5-2 version.
  4. How is the SD PVR connected to the switch? Which ports have been used.
  5. The HB cable: to which ports is it connected on both decoders?
  6. Are you using tvLINKs in your setup?
  7. Do you have an SLX splitter installed?
If you want you are free to send me a PM message and I will respond with a telephone number and I can talk you through the connections as well.

Once we have the all the connections sorted out, we will be able to make sure the configs are correct and then maybe another call to MC will be required.
Thanks Geoff.
  1. What does you is install look like? See Pic Attached - Hope you can follow
  2. Type of LNB you are using, TWIN, Quad, etc. Im using a SatCR
  3. Do you have an Explora switch installed and if so is it the 5-2 version. No Switch
  4. How is the SD PVR connected to the switch? Which ports have been used. No Switch
  5. The HB cable: to which ports is it connected on both decoders? Not Sure whats this?
  6. Are you using tvLINKs in your setup? Yes, TVLINK enabled in settings on SDPVR
Also the remote "RF" setting on the Explora is set to RFIN..
  1. Do you have an SLX splitter installed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSTV Setup.JPG (69.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 2015-05-19 , 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
@AndyBoy - MC Natasha has asked for you to please PM details so we can assist you directly.
I've sent through the details - please confirm if you recieved it. Sent a while back so not sure based on your message.
Old 2015-05-19 , 12:03
MultiChoice

As you've sent it to Natasha - she will be in touch, I can't confirm if she received a PM. Posted on here as you created the same thread in two separate places.
Old 2015-05-19 , 12:30
Technical Myriad

Okay Andy,

Here goes.

(1) You are using a universal Unicable (SATCR) LNB with two legacy ports, so the Explora switch is not required.
(2) The Explora is connected to the SATCR cable direct, and the settings on the Explora for the home network should be the standard settings of:

Tuner Index Frequency
0 1210
1 1420
2 1680

(3) Next, the RF connections are running as follows:

RF OUT to Remote TV2: This means this TV if equipped with a tvLINK, should be able to control the Explora direct, provided the Explora is set to accept commands via a tvLINK on the RF OUT port. The Explora remote settings should be set to respond to Explora remotes only and to your choice of mode ( TV1, TV2 or TV3). Make sure that tvLINK is enabled on the Explora otherwise the tvLINK will not receive power from the decoder. Also make sure legacy remote settings are all "Ignore". Also the Remote port setting on the Explora should be set to RF OUT not RF IN.
Note with this setup the tvLINK will not be able to "control" the SD PVR at all as there is no way for remote commands to reach the SD PVR.
If you want this functionality on that TV, then a complete re-arrangement of the RF feeds is required.

(4) The Heartbeat cable is the one from the Explora RF IN port to the RF IN port on the SD PVR. This should work, provided, the cable run is short and the SD PVR command receiver is still in good condition.
The SD PVR comms port cannot be changed, it is locked to RF OUT so if this is a reason for your problem, then the RF cabling will have to be re-arranged.. Next make sure tvLINK is enabled on the SD PVR. If not the SD PVR will not receive the HB signals from the Explora.

(5) Remote TV3: This TV will be able to " Control" ONLY the SD PVR - the SD PVR will NOT allow control of the Explora as it cannot relay remote commands to the Explora.

(6) Make sure the decoders are set to use different UHF channel numbers. and that different channels are set on each TV for Explora TV1, SD PVR TV 1 and TV2, and that the standard is PAL I

Remote TV2 may not be able to view the SD PVR via RF. Remote TV3 may get a very poor signal from the Explora.

If you want to be able to fully control both decoders from any of the viewing points and view all decoders at all points via RF THEN a complete re-arrangement of the RF distribution is required. Let me know if this is what you would like to do and I will assist.

Lastly,

Make sure that the SD PVR is linked to the correct Primary decoder SC. This could also be the reason for your difficulty in getting XV to work, and no amount of MC resets will fix this. MC MUST confirm they have broken the link between the SDPVR and the old decoder, and correctly linked the SD PVR to the Explora SC. Only MC is able to do this. It is quite possible that the only way to sort out this problem if it is not correct is a trip to MC with both decoders ..... Sorry!

To check if this is a likely source of your problem: on the SD PVR, press:

Menu, advanced options (6), information (3), CA Status,
HGPC Status(6), Smart card role must say secondary and the primary SC number must be the number of the SC in the Explora decoder. If not then the SD PVR has not been correctly coupled to the Explora, and as the decoders have been disconnected already, a trip to MC is now the best way to get this sorted out.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2015-05-19 at 12:40. .
Old 2015-05-22 , 08:55

Hi Geoff D
Firstly -I must thank you for your efforts in assisting me, I did initially think that you were responding as a MC Representative but later figure out that you're not with MC...so thanks again for your assistance.
I must admit that i did not try any of what you're suggesting as for some reason MC has managed to resolve this from their side without me having to change any of the last setup.

What is worrying is that MC is suggesting that I trade in (under insurance) my fully functional and working SD PVR for another Explora whilst I have to carry an extra cost for the installation of the Smart LNB. I’ll lose out on my 3rd channel and will be financially impacted if I’d go this route – Only a 1 sided win here and that will be to MC –

It seems a no brainer but do you think I’m I missing something from they offer?
Old 2015-05-22 , 09:02
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

I'll jump in so long. Your thoughts are spot on. You will not gain anything by getting another explora and only loose the 3rd viewing environment.

WHile the SDPVR is working.. keep it. That's what I'm doing. When mine eventually dies I'll go swop it out under DCC for another explora.. but that will be a sad day indeed.
Old 2015-05-22 , 09:12

Thought so...! I had my sad day when I had to leave my HDPVR (pace) behind…