Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > HD PVR > Annoying time differences when watching recordings
Old 2010-01-26 , 09:44
Knows how to use a remote

Unhappy Annoying time differences when watching recordings

I've noticed that on a couple of my recordings the time recorded displayed in the playlist menu is wrong?

For instance the movie Body of Lies is 137min long, yet the display in the playlist showed only 50min was recorded, and showing the yellow triangle with the exclamation next to it indicating a problem. Yet when I started the recording, the i-Plate again showed 50min with the yellow triangle, but the time indicator in the top right corner displayed there was 02:14:00min available viewing time, and the progress bar had the correct time and markers displayed. I watched the whole movie beginning to end, no picture or audio breakups at any stage, but the playlist and i-plate tells me only 50min was recorded?

This problem has caused me to delete quite a few of my recordings previously as it showed incomplete recordings, only now after some investigation it seems that these shows was recorded correct to begin with, but showing wrong recording times with yellow triangle errors in the playlist menu. I've missed quite a lot of shows because of this

What's going on here MC? Has anybody else also noticed this error?
Old 2010-01-26 , 10:10
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic54 View Post
I've noticed that on a couple of my recordings the time recorded displayed in the playlist menu is wrong?

For instance the movie Body of Lies is 137min long, yet the display in the playlist showed only 50min was recorded, and showing the yellow triangle with the exclamation next to it indicating a problem. Yet when I started the recording, the i-Plate again showed 50min with the yellow triangle, but the time indicator in the top right corner displayed there was 02:14:00min available viewing time, and the progress bar had the correct time and markers displayed. I watched the whole movie beginning to end, no picture or audio breakups at any stage, but the playlist and i-plate tells me only 50min was recorded?

This problem has caused me to delete quite a few of my recordings previously as it showed incomplete recordings, only now after some investigation it seems that these shows was recorded correct to begin with, but showing wrong recording times with yellow triangle errors in the playlist menu. I've missed quite a lot of shows because of this

What's going on here MC? Has anybody else also noticed this error?
Yes we all have the same issue.

Rule 1 - Do not panic when noticing anything strange about the info displayed including warning triangles that are not really very useful because the info conveyed is confusing and wrong very often!

Rule 2 - ALWAYS INVESTIGATE first before doing anything such deleting entries because of the info displayed.

Rule 3 - IF you still want to dump the decoder in the pool - take a deep breath and go back to rule 1

The times indicated are dependent on the buffer sizes, the accuracy of the EPG info at the time when you set up the EBR or the TBR, AND the EPG info WHEN the recording is made. Also the system markers play a role in this as well, and very often these are missing or wrongly placed anyway.

The next thing is and I am sure you have noticed this, that instead of the info about your recording being displayed, the info about the current live channel is displayed. That too cause problems!

Basically there is very little about the displayed information that can be consistently relied on for reflecting what is going on, on the decoder. You need to always case the jointg before doing anything which includes a panic reset and reboot of the decoder.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2010-01-26 at 10:14. .