Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > XtraView > what is needed for watching two different channels at the same time on two tvs

Old 2008-12-01 , 11:29
Still listens to the wireless

Unhappy what is needed for watching two different channels at the same time on two tvs

Hi,

I dont have an existing DSTV connection.
I bought a standard DSTV Decoder (D-1110), my requirement is to watch two separate channels in two rooms (ie: in on one room I need a Soccer channel and on the second I need a movie channel). How can I setup this, what else is needed for it. If I buy one more D-1110 Decoder will it solve my problem..

Please provide more info.

-Thanks & Regards,
Kishor
Old 2008-12-02 , 21:56
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Simplest solution is to purchase another D-1110 Decoder and activate Xtraview. It will operate as one DSTV subscription and give you 2 x completely independent viewing environments.
Old 2008-12-02 , 22:58
MultiChoice

Just note that you will need a twin LNB (thingy that goes on the front of the dish) as well as a cable from it to your second decoder.
Old 2008-12-02 , 23:32
Changes remote batteries daily

And also remember the additional R55 for XTRAVIEW. Still worthwhile seeing that you get 2 independent working environments for the price of one.
Old 2008-12-03 , 00:12
Still gets up to change channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by : ) C4 View Post
Just note that you will need a twin LNB (thingy that goes on the front of the dish) as well as a cable from it to your second decoder.
That's where Dualview was so nice, but not anymore...

More and more channels is going over to the vertical reception. With dual view only one LNB was needed, but there were certain limits.
Old 2008-12-03 , 14:24
Technical Myriad

The other way around actually, more and more HOR polarised transponders are being used now than in the past.

IF you have any plans to upgrade to a HD PVR in the near future, seriously consider putting in a quad LNB now iso a twin, as this will save you another LNB upgrade in the future!
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2008-12-03 , 15:48
MultiChoice

I fully agree with Geoff - I would go for a quad even if I just needed a twin - I would even consider running the other two cables already.
Old 2008-12-03 , 18:14
Knows how to use a remote

Vertical reception?
and C4 , Geoff D kindly pls explain why you recommending this installation?
Old 2008-12-03 , 21:30
MultiChoice

The satellite services for MCA in SA comes in two of a possible four flavours.
So for simplicity sake - we can refer to our services as being divided between horizontal and vertically polarized signals.

These require different settings (effected through a voltage change) to switch the LNB (thingy on the nose of your dish) to give through the right polarity channels.

If your decoder has only one tuner(capability to access one channel) , this switching can happen without issues - but if you have two (or more) tuners, or if you have two decoders, there can be conflict as the different tuners may try to access services that are not on the same polarization. (I.e. the two tuners try to send different voltages to the LNB at the same time)

SO - long story short - as long as everyone watches channels that are on the same polarity, everything is hunky-dory - if not, you have chaos.

As long as the decoder(s) can access both horizontal and vertical signals as they wish, you can view any combination of channels without conflict. This is the reason you can split a twin LNB to 4, 6 or 8 outputs. (both polarities can be accessed by any one of the outputs)

Final word - install at least a twin LNB, even if you only need a single. A quad is even better as it would mean less splitting of the signal (if further splitting is required) should you ever move to a HD PVR, or an XV network. (Splitting weakens the signal and causes quicker picture break-up if it starts raining)
Old 2008-12-05 , 21:14
4K, baby!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but can someone please help me?

I presently have an old DSTV Decoder Model 990 and have a cable running from my tv to my bedroom where I have a video recorder and tv. I am therefore able to record on my video recorder any channel that I am watching in the bedroom. Unfortunately, if I want to change the DSTV channel then I must go to the lounge and change the channel there. I do not have a PVR.

I am now THINKING of getting the HD Decoder and the 1110 Decoder. The HD Decoder I know will record the various channels as selected but what I would like to know is whether my video recorder in the bedroom would be able to also record a different channel or anything at all? (Obviously not in High Definition)

Thanks