Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Faulty cable or faulty decoder
Old 2018-01-20 , 18:19
Still listens to the wireless

Default Faulty cable or faulty decoder

When viewing My Channels, the column on the left shows the channels but the columns on the right that should show the times and programs per channel are blank. I also cannot record any programs. In the Menu section, there is a message that states that the recording function is not operational. I phoned Multichoice who requested that I check the signal strength - Tuner 1 showed 100% strength but Tuner 2 showed 0%. I was requested to swap the cables and the result was that Tuner 1 showed 0% and Tuner 2 showed 100%. Does this mean that one cable is faulty? If so, how do I diagnose where the problem is to fix it?

I also took my decoder to Multichoice - they said the decoder is faulty and because it is insured they will replace the decoder; but will this solve the problem? Replacing the decoder will result in losing all my recorded programs which I would want to avoid.

Thanking you for assisting
Old 2018-01-20 , 18:44
Changes remote batteries hourly

Welcome. You've not given us enough info, but I'll do my best to assist for now. Please note that there's less people assisting outside weekly office hours.

Firstly, it sounds like a 2 Tuner HD PVR - please confirm, and if so is it the Pace (2P)?
The fault and the result of your test reinforces that belief.

I presume you're in a house with your own dish.
You would need to examine the cable for any loose connection or shorts by one or more strands of cable, check the whole cab;e length for damage or wear, and check the connection at the LNB on the dish's arm as well (take care not to shift the dish or LNB at all).

Best to keep the decoder powered off throughout.

Please post if any other decoder, or equipment like cable joiners, splitters or MultiSwitches (MS) may be involved.

For this decoder you cannot get content transferred, that's only possible with Exploras and at main MC service centres.
Nothing posted suggests a decoder fault, but that's still possible - you'll have to see how things turn out after your further tests and repairs.

All connections should only ever be hand-tightened.

When ready to power up again, once completed it may be a good idea to first do a rescan.

The EPG that's blank may take a few minutes to populate. check other sections such as All Channels as well.
Old 2018-01-20 , 19:20

Thank you for your reply
The decoder is a (2 Tuner) DSTV HD PVR 4828 - is this of any assistance?
I am in my own house with my own dish. I have a second TV in my room but no additional decoder.
I will check the cable as suggested by yourself
Thank you
Old 2018-01-20 , 19:27
Changes remote batteries hourly

Glad to assist :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACW54 View Post
The decoder is a (2 Tuner) DSTV HD PVR 4828 - is this of any assistance?
I am in my own house with my own dish. I have a second TV in my room but no additional decoder.
Yes, it confirms what I've posted is accurate.
This is the similar UEC 2 Tuner model, known on the forum as the 2U.

Any other questions?

Last edited by Optimist; 2018-01-20 at 19:32. .
Old 2018-01-20 , 19:38

No further questions for now thank you - will need to check the cable.
Old 2018-01-21 , 10:42
Technical Myriad

The fact that you swopped over the cable connections suggests that there is nothing wrong with the decoder.

Swop out centres will just about always want to replace the decoder, even if it is not necessary. So first check the cable connections.

If you fin nothing wrong there then it is possible that the LNB has developed a fault. To prove that requires a cable swop on the LNB itself.

Any severe lightning in your area lately?

If so, and you find that the LNB is damaged,then it is more than possible that some damage has been done to the decoder as well.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2018-01-22 , 13:15

Thank you for your reply.
I will start with checking the cable - probably need to get professional assistance.