Old 2017-09-13 , 10:36
Still gets up to change channels

Wink showmax casting??

I hope someone can help as I am really dim when it comes to tech, but I want to cast showmax and catch-up to my samsung TV using something like chromecast.
My questions are as follows:

1) what would be the best wifi to connect my samsung tablet to chromecast, keeping in mind I don't want to stream?
2) Is chromecast the best option?
3) If I have downloaded a video to my tablet and I cast it to my tv via Wifi does use data, there is no point doing it if I am doubling up on data costs?
4) Keep in mind that my network is too slow and patchy to stream live.
Thanks guys
Old 2017-09-14 , 08:45
Changes remote batteries hourly

The Mods can usually answer these things best, but here's a few basics;

ShowMax like DStv is under the Naspers group, but for most ShowMax queries at this stage we've been told that you need to contact them directly.
It's believed they may offer casting, but unconfirmed.
WiFi does not ever involve a charge for usage, I doubt there are any exceptions to this.

If you have an Explora it could be the easiest option, but not right now as ShowMax can only be streamed on Exploras at this stage.
Keep an eye on the forum for Explora ShowMax downloads being introduced sometime.

I can't help further.
Old 2017-09-14 , 09:26
MultiChoice

Hi there.

1. Up to you to determine which provider you want to use.
2. For Samsung yes. Check you might need an additional device to be able to Chromecast - pls check with a place like Incredible Connection
3. Nope once downloaded, you are not using data, you're just replaying it

We really are not experts in casting, so pls do some research and reading.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 2017-09-14 , 09:57
Changes remote batteries daily

With a smart tv you don't need Chromecast. Smart tv's have their own casting application built in. You just need a casting app. Seeing that it's a Samsung smart tv. Google Samsung smart tv casting app. That should give you options

Explora
Old 2017-09-14 , 15:25
Still gets up to change channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanP View Post
With a smart tv you don't need Chromecast. Smart tv's have their own casting application built in. You just need a casting app. Seeing that it's a Samsung smart tv. Google Samsung smart tv casting app. That should give you options
LOL Lucky for me I have the stupid Samsung TV
Old 2017-09-14 , 17:06
4K, baby!

Can't speak for Samsung, but AFAIK all current model LG TVs have the Show Max app which works very well and has a decent UI. Mine has given zero problems.

If you don't have a smart TV then you will need a spare HDMI port in your dumb TV to accommodate a Chromecast dongle. I picked up 2 of these in the UK recently for 19 quid each; a bargain. So I can confirm that the UK specification Chromecast works fine in South Africa.

I am casting from a Galaxy S7 Edge running Nougat. I cannot vouch for non-Android smartphone platforms.

Still struggling to initiate a Showmax cast from my Google Home to the Chromecast; though YouTube, Spotify and Netflix are all casting fine from my "Home" in SA; She also picks up local weather and landmarks in the Sandton area when questioned.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2017-09-14 at 17:15. .
Old 2017-09-14 , 20:45
Changes remote batteries daily

You Can get a local chromecast in takealot.

19 that's a steal for a chromecast

Explora
Old 2017-09-15 , 17:57
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanP View Post
1) You Can get a local chromecast in takealot.

2) 19 that's a steal for a chromecast
1) Yip, JP; it's the UK firmware on the Device
2) Yip, over the bank holiay weekend the Chromecast was 19 quid and the Home 99 quid
Cheers, K
Old 2017-10-30 , 13:20
4K, baby!

Default Help! advice on Chromecast please

OK, this is ever so slightly off-topic but I think any other readers of this thread, who are not uncapped, will be keen to know the answer.

I'm running two Chromecast dongles at our apartment
I'm using the supplied 5V power supplies, so the devices are permanently powered on.

When not being used to stream content, I've set them both up to display a mix of my own previously uploaded photos and Googles featured and Space photos. These are HD images.

I'd assumed that the dongles would handshake to the Google server to only be active (downloading images) when the TV is on and the HDMI port with the Chromecast selected? Now I'm very unsure about that assumption!

Why? well we were away in Cape Town for a week earlier this month.
I turned off all the PCs. The 3 MC connected Explorae were running as was my Google Home and smart lamps and switches. Of course the 2 Chromecast devices were active too.

The attached chart (bandwidth period) shows that I burned a steady 500-600 MB each full day we were absent from the apartment.

The detailed usage example (Wednesday) showed that almost no data (30MB) was uploaded and almost all the data (598 MB) was downloaded.

This one-way traffic (downloads) would certainly rule out one or more of the on-line devices using me as an unsuspected hopping point for some nefarious activity.

If I do a rough calculation thus:-

Photo on Chromecast changes every 2 minutes (measured)
2 Chromecast devices on (fact)
Average 4Mb per displayed HD image (estimate)
1440 minutes per day (fact)

Daily Image Download = 5,760Mb That's pretty much what I'm seeing.

So, does anyone know whether the Chromecast downloads photos all the time; irrespective of whether the TV is on and tuned to the Chromecast HDMI port. I'm almost prepared to bet that this is what's happening!

Does not really matter to me as I'm uncapped. But other Chromecast users may be less happy about burning 15 or so GB per month on unviewed images!

Any answers/suggestions? I'm not really knowledgeable on how to check the detail of this stuff.
I guess I could call MWEB and ask them to tell me the detailed activity on one of the days? I don't have any router logs set.

Cheers, K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bandwidth period.jpg (62.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Wednesday 19.jpg (39.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2017-10-30 at 13:25. .
Old 2017-10-30 , 13:30
Changes remote batteries hourly

Keith, I think the bottom line to this question must be what the individual dongle is capable of, and what it is doing which may or may not be the same thing.
I would contact the manufacturer, or at least the retail supplier.

Certainly, one has to assume that any HDMI related equipment can use normal signals involved to determine if a TV is off and if it should therefore stop its activity.
The two questions then remaining must be - did they think to include this in their design, and if so is there a setting to control it that's not easily understood?

Hope this helps, but maybe someone knows more. Perhaps add the details of your dongle?