Old 2009-09-25 , 10:45
Knows how to use a remote

Question Installation advice needed

Good day people. Thanks for having me on your forum.

I was hoping to get some direction with regards to installation on my upcoming DSTV subscription.

I currently have an HDTV.

My initial approach to setting up my DSTV will be as such:

Planning on getting a SD decoder to start off. In the coming months i intend to get the Extra-view option as well. And further down the line i plan on getting a HD-PVR decoder on the extra-view option.

What i would like to know is: What is the best way to go about the installation with regards to buying the equipment required? I would like to future-proof the installation so that i will only have to purchase additional cabling as and when required to upgrade my system; and not have to worry about buying another LNB/multi-switch, etc. when the time comes to upgrade.

Please can you guys tell me what parts and equipment i would need to buy, so that i can tell the DSTV installer exactly what i need; and he can price the installation accordingly.

Thanks in advance
Old 2009-09-25 , 11:18
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

You have 3 options if you are refering to the 1110 decoder as the "SD decoder".

1. You can get a twin LNB and 2 x 6 satellite multiswitch. Run 2 cables from the dish to the multiswitch. Connect 5 cables to the decoders from the multiswitch.

2. You can get a SatCr LNB. (this has 2 ports, 1 legacy port for 1110 decoder and a SatCr port for the HD PVR. Also need to run 2 cables from the dish to the decoders.

3. You can get a octo LNB and run 5 cables from the dish to the decoders.

I would personally go for option 2 if i was in your situation as there is less cables and clutter. But there is a drawback, you won't be able to connect a SD PVR to this. (but these haven't been on sale for a while)
Old 2009-09-25 , 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit View Post
You have 3 options if you are refering to the 1110 decoder as the "SD decoder".

1. You can get a twin LNB and 2 x 6 satellite multiswitch. Run 2 cables from the dish to the multiswitch. Connect 5 cables to the decoders from the multiswitch.

2. You can get a SatCr LNB. (this has 2 ports, 1 legacy port for 1110 decoder and a SatCr port for the HD PVR. Also need to run 2 cables from the dish to the decoders.

3. You can get a octo LNB and run 5 cables from the dish to the decoders.

I would personally go for option 2 if i was in your situation as there is less cables and clutter. But there is a drawback, you won't be able to connect a SD PVR to this. (but these haven't been on sale for a while)
Thanks for the reply Gambit.

With option 2, will i be able to connect two 1110 decoders? Also, with option 2, will i need a multi switch as well, or will it just be those two cables straight from the dish to the decoders?
Old 2009-09-25 , 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Thanks for the reply Gambit.

With option 2, will i be able to connect two 1110 decoders?
No, you can only connect 1x 1110 decoder to a Satcr LNB legacy port(and 2x hd pvr to the Sarcr port using a splitter for more than 1 hdpvr). Only the hdpvr currently support SatCr. Also you can not have 2x 1110 decoders and a hdpvr altogether on one subscription using xtraview so not sure why you would want 2 x 1110 decoders unless you going to pay for another subscription $$$, in that case you should look at option 1.

Quote:
Also, with option 2, will i need a multi switch as well, or will it just be those two cables straight from the dish to the decoders?
No Multiswitch. 1 cable (from legacy port) will run from the lnb to the 1110 decoder and another cable will run from the satcr port on the lnb to the hd pvr.

Check out the xtraview technical manual it has a lot of info and diagrams on the different install options:

http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=3919

see page 28 for option 2 i have described.
Old 2009-09-25 , 15:49

Quote:
No, you can only connect 1x 1110 decoder to a Satcr LNB legacy port(and 2x hd pvr to the Sarcr port using a splitter for more than 1 hdpvr). Only the hdpvr currently support SatCr. Also you can not have 2x 1110 decoders and a hdpvr altogether on one subscription using xtraview so not sure why you would want 2 x 1110 decoders unless you going to pay for another subscription $$$, in that case you should look at option 1.

No Multiswitch. 1 cable (from legacy port) will run from the lnb to the 1110 decoder and another cable will run from the satcr port on the lnb to the hd pvr.

Check out the xtraview technical manual it has a lot of info and diagrams on the different install options:

http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=3919

see page 28 for option 2 i have described.
Initially, i will be getting two 1110 decoders (the second one a little later than the first)...later on i will upgrade one of those decoders for a HD one.

But now that you mentioned it, i think i'll just stick to a single 1110 decoder and do the HD add-on later on.

Is the price of the SatCr cable more expensive per meter than the other cable?

EDIT: Can i use the satcr LNB for only the 1110 decoder, and at a later stage add-on a HD-PVR?

Last edited by curly; 2009-09-25 at 16:03. . Reason: Added another question
Old 2009-09-25 , 16:43

Quote:
Is the price of the SatCr cable more expensive per meter than the other cable?
You don't need special cable.You just use the same cable as a normal single lnb installation ie. RG6

Quote:
EDIT: Can i use the satcr LNB for only the 1110 decoder, and at a later stage add-on a HD-PVR?
Yes.
Old 2009-09-25 , 16:54

Quote:
You don't need special cable.You just use the same cable as a normal single lnb installation ie. RG6

Yes.
Ok cool Gambit. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Old 2009-09-28 , 15:34

Hows it Gambit. I need to pick your brain again

I've just bought my 1110 decoder, and i also have a free-to-air satellite receiver as well. I've been told that it uses the same direction as DSTV.

What would be the best way to go about my installation in this instance?

Recap: Have a 1110 decoder, and a Free-to-air satellite receiver. I want to use the same dish for both receivers. What LNB/setup should i go for if i intend to upgrade my 1110 decoder to HD-PVR in the near future while still utilizing the free-to-air receiver as well?

Thanks in advance mate.
Old 2009-09-28 , 16:07

Quote:

I've just bought my 1110 decoder, and i also have a free-to-air satellite receiver as well. I've been told that it uses the same direction as DSTV.

Recap: Have a 1110 decoder, and a Free-to-air satellite receiver. I want to use the same dish for both receivers. What LNB/setup should i go for if i intend to upgrade my 1110 decoder to HD-PVR in the near future while still utilizing the free-to-air receiver as well?

Thanks in advance mate.
If you want to run all 3 decoders at the same time off one dish then here are your options:

If your FTA decoder supports SatCr LNB (this is probably unlikely) then you can use this (option 2) and use a splitter to split the SatCr port between the FTA decoder and the HDPVR . (1110 decoder on legacy port)

Probably the best is option 3 (octo lnb with 6 cables running from dish to decoders. 4 cables for hdpvr, 1 cable for 1110 decoder and 1 cable for the FTA decoder provided the FTA decoder only has 1 tuner). This option requires a lot of cabling

Option 1 (twin lnb and 2x 6 multiswitch) is probably a bad idea when using a FTA decoder because some FTA channels use the high frequency band modes of the LNB which Dstv does not use. Dstv only uses the 2 low band modes in Southern Africa so that is why you can get away with only a twin lnb when only viewing dstv channels.

Another option is if you can find a multiswitch with 4 inputs and 6 or more outputs (ie. 4x8) then you could probably get away with less cabling by installing a quad lnb and only running 4 cables to the multiswitch. Just be careful if you go this route that you get a multiswitch that is for quad lnb and not a quattro lnb. This is probably going to be a lot more expensive route than the octo lnb.

Last edited by gambit; 2009-09-28 at 16:25. .
Old 2009-09-28 , 16:10
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:

Thanks in advance mate.
A SATCR LNB will work if you intend to sell the 1110 when you upgrade to a HD-PVR. That will mean 2 wires.
But with the SATCR you will not be able to use the 1110 with the free to air Sattelite.
Sothen the other option is a dual LNB with a 2x6 Multiswitch when you upgrade to a HD-PVR.