Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > XtraView > Advice needed - adding a 3rd TV to my environment

Old 2013-05-09 , 13:21
Still listens to the wireless

Default Advice needed - adding a 3rd TV to my environment

I'd appreciate some guidance on this one.

I currently have an HD PVR + 1110 decoder extraview setup with dual LNB's coming from the dish. Both decoders are in the same room.

I have built a 2nd lounge and want to put a TV in there.

1. Can I simply add another cable to the splitter box that currently feeds the signal to the 2nd viewing environment so that it splits the signal to 2 TV's instead of one? If so I'd imagine seeing a loss of picture quality across both TV's, and obviously no independent viewing.

2. If I want independent viewing in all environments I assume I'd have to add another 1110 or HD PVR into the mix. Would I then pay a double subscription or would something like this be covered under the provisions for xtraview?
Old 2013-05-09 , 13:30
MultiChoice

Hi J-Man

1. Correct
2. You could have the option of changing your set-up where you have an HDPVR and an SDPVR - This allows for 3 independent viewing environments. However to get your hands on an SDPVR might be an issue.
The other alternative is a separate subscription for the 3rd viewing environment.
Regards
Old 2013-05-09 , 14:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Ashraf View Post
Hi J-Man

1. Correct
2. You could have the option of changing your set-up where you have an HDPVR and an SDPVR - This allows for 3 independent viewing environments. However to get your hands on an SDPVR might be an issue.
The other alternative is a separate subscription for the 3rd viewing environment.
Regards
Thanks Ashraf,

3. So going with option 1, would I be able to install a 2nd TV eye in the third environment and, even though it won't be independent viewing, still use a remote control from there?

4. If I replaced the 1110 with an second HDPVR and changed the setup to PVR's in separate rooms (remember I'm on a dual LNB), would I be able to feed the signal from one HD PVR to a 3rd environment and control it with a TV Eye?
Old 2013-05-09 , 14:27
MultiChoice

3. If I am understanding you correctly - If you go with your option 1 where I assume that the DSD1110 is your secondary decoder, you have your splitter which feeds two separate TV's with a 1 TV eye...This solution will work however please ensure that you purchase the correct splitter.

4. I am making the assumption that your PVR is the 2 tuner (PACE 2P or UEC 2 U) - Yes you would be able to get same result as per above however you need to ensure that you have the correct splitter as well as multiswitch.

Regards
Ashraf
Old 2013-05-09 , 14:34

Quote:
3. If I am understanding you correctly - If you go with your option 1 where I assume that the DSD1110 is your secondary decoder, you have your splitter which feeds two separate TV's with a 1 TV eye...This solution will work however please ensure that you purchase the correct splitter.

4. I am making the assumption that your PVR is the 2 tuner (PACE 2P or UEC 2 U) - Yes you would be able to get same result as per above however you need to ensure that you have the correct splitter as well as multiswitch.

Regards
Ashraf
Just on your first point - the splitter would feed two TV's - could I have a TV eye connected to each TV (in other words, be able to use the remote in either room?)

Secondly, my current HD PVR is one of the old ones - the 4 tuner. Currently the cables from the LNB on the dish go to a multiswitch and then from there go into the HD PVR with 4x cables.

Apart from ensuring I have the right multiswitch, would there be an issue with this if I bought a new HDPVR (which I assume would now be a 2 tuner)?
Old 2013-05-09 , 14:58
MultiChoice

J-Man - I will need to verify whether we could have two TV eyes on two separate TV's for 1 decoders - I will get back to you on this.

Regarding your second point, there should be no issues however please ensure that you either have the 2 X 6 or 2 X 8 multiswitch. 2 points will be for the LNB and then 4 points will be for the 4 Tuner HDPVR and 2 points will be for the new 2 Tuner HDPVR (2 X 6 multiswitch will suffice0
Old 2013-05-09 , 15:02

Quote:
J-Man - I will need to verify whether we could have two TV eyes on two separate TV's for 1 decoders - I will get back to you on this.

Regarding your second point, there should be no issues however please ensure that you either have the 2 X 6 or 2 X 8 multiswitch. 2 points will be for the LNB and then 4 points will be for the 4 Tuner HDPVR and 2 points will be for the new 2 Tuner HDPVR (2 X 6 multiswitch will suffice0
Thanks Ahraf - I'll doublecheck but I think I have the 2x6.

Will wait to hear from you about the eye.
Old 2013-05-09 , 15:23
MultiChoice

Just confirmed that the 2 eyes for the 2 separate TV's will work however you need to ensure that you have the correct splitter with DC power.

Goodluck and happy viewing.....

Ashraf
Old 2013-05-09 , 15:31

thanks ashraf.
Old 2013-05-09 , 16:44
Technical Myriad

Just to add,

(1) a Direct replacement of the 1110 with a HD PVR2 requires at least a 2X6 MS. The benefit is you will have 2 live viewing environments plus the ability to record 3 simulatneous shows

(2) Either way, adding a second TV eye to your RF distribution is better done as follows, because this method allows the decoder to "recalibrate" properly.

(a) Disable TV LINK on the decoder/s
(b) switch off the decoders
(c) install extra splitter ( assuming it is a simple splitter with DC pass on both legs)
(d) install the new TVLINK eye at the distant TV.
(e) switch on the decoders and enable TVLINK on one or both. You have not explained how you are feeding RF between the decoders.

All TV link eyes installed should now light up and a remote can be used at any of the sites.

There should be no changes to the configs on the decoders.

If this simple solution does not work ( and the only reason maybe the length of the RF cable to the new room is too much), then we would have to look at alternative ways to distribute RF to the TVs.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2013-05-10 at 13:26. .