View Poll Results: Do you miss the Forum King?
Yes! My heart feels incomplete when the Forum King is not on the forum 1 8.33%
Yes! I think he should make more effort to be here - I don't care if he's busy 5 41.67%
No! Who is the Forum King anyway? 8 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll
Old 2018-01-01 , 10:28
4K, baby!

It's actually surprising how much water one can save if one really tries. The wife and myself admittedly share the bath water with one bathing after another but using the same bath water. Washing of clothes gets done twice a week. All bath and washing machine water gets used to flush toilets and water the few plants that I still worry about. We use a total of approximately 100 liters a day on average. Our total water consumption for a month has been around 3kl per month.

Another way of saving water is when running the water for washing of dishes catch the first bit into a container, this from the hot water tap, and use for boiling for tea at a later time. Wait for the hot water to come and only run this hot water into the basin and perhaps top up with a bit of the cold water?

For washing of hands have a basin with some water in it. Unless hands are very dirty then simply reuse the water in the basin.

Admittedly there's no filling of the swimming pool, for this I have a pipe leading from one of my downpipes to the pool. However this still requires some rain to fill the pool, and my grass is beginning to look like a scene from Lawrence of Arabia. Sand!!!!!

Getting so used to the current "system" that I think we'll continue with it once water restrictions are lifted.

Last edited by beetle bailey; 2018-01-01 at 10:32. .
Old 2018-01-01 , 11:04
Changes remote batteries hourly

I wonder if a bathing solution may be to use the ocean?
Not with soap of course!

If one is just a bit tarnished with cleanish sweat, a few minutes in the ocean may be sufficient (and also sanitary enough for others nearby), followed by a quick rinsing shower.
Except maybe for what's beneath the costume
And hair needs to be washed properly a few times.

Hasn't someone invented sci-fi's ultrasound bathing cubicle yet??
Old 2018-01-02 , 09:32
Changes remote batteries daily

We have over the years as members of a caravan club attended a few Bundu rallies were there were no ablutions and you make do with the water you bring with you. Although our caravan has an 80l onboard water tank and a full bathroom we found that that using a little water in the hand basin, a face cloth and some soap goes a long way to clean what ever need cleaning and a few seconds under the shower to rinse off afterwards goes a long way to save water. The bucket under the shower drain pipe showed that we used less than 10 l of water for the 2 of us to get clean.
The problem here is that each flush of the toilet uses between 6 and 9 l of water and that can add up to quite a few liters a day.
Old 2018-01-02 , 10:28
Changes remote batteries hourly

For years we've usually only flushed for "number 1" needs once or twice a day.
I suppose that could be quite a bit less comfortable in a more cramped space like a caravan though

As for our clothes, somehow we've learnt to manage with only once every week / 10 days, but it's largely working from home here.
Old 2018-01-02 , 11:03

The Chemical toilets fitted to the modern luxury Caravan is quite odorless if you use the imported chemical and use a minimal amount of water to flush. The local manufactured chemical we found "less" efficient. In any case ours has never been used for number 2 although the chemical is supposedly designed to dissolve the solids.
Back to our water savings down here in the Cape we sofar only used recycled shower water for flushing the toilets.
We will be traveling back tomorrow and we are happy that we did our best not to aggravate their water problem.
Old 2018-01-02 , 11:26
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Horn View Post
We will be traveling back tomorrow and we are happy that we did our best not to aggravate their water problem.
Thanks for doing your bit and not using all our water. Possibly you should have stayed home as it's become a case of "every little bit helps". In your case staying at home would have contributed a "little bit". Only joking and hope you had a very enjoyable visit to my neck of the woods.

Safe and pleasant return home trip.
Old 2018-01-02 , 11:52

With the family split up over the 2 extremities we had to come down this year but next year we will be staying home, sort off it will be Johannesburg's turn. Thanks BB we will be taking it easy tomorrow night we will be sleeping over at Gariep at the Forever resort and the n home on Thursday.
Old 2018-01-02 , 14:13
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Horn View Post
With the family split up over the 2 extremities we had to come down this year but next year we will be staying home, sort off it will be Johannesburg's turn. Thanks BB we will be taking it easy tomorrow night we will be sleeping over at Gariep at the Forever resort and the n home on Thursday.
Let us/me know what Gariep is like. Stayed there a couple of times when going to visit family in Natal. Unfortunately, when last we visited, about five years ago, the place was in need of some maintenance. Cannot recall just what it was that needed to be seen to but can just remember our saying that the resort wasn't as "nice" as it had been. Putt putt course I can remember needed new "carpeting". But still, scenery wise a good stopover point.

Drive safely. At least you score on the petrol price coming down. Lucky you.
Old 2018-01-02 , 15:10

BB we stayed there on our way down. The Rondawels are clean and the and the bathrooms recently renovated. The kids, our two grand children that came with us, used the pool as it was a very hot day when we came down and we planed to stop quite early but I cant say anything about the Putt Putt facilities. Will have a look around this time.
Old 2018-01-12 , 12:39

This is great fun.

Cambridge Consultants has launched a new website which it said can detect accents.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/softw...r-british.html

Explora