Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Catch Up > Subtitles on CatchUp and BoxOffice
Old 2014-10-24 , 08:29
Knows how to use a remote

Default Subtitles on CatchUp and BoxOffice

Hi,

After years (since 2007) of requesting the ability to record subtitles, we purchased the Explora in Dec 2013.

Since then we have been enjoying many hours of viewing pleasure!

But now it is time for the next BIG step!

When can we expect subtitles to be available on CatchUp and BoxOffice?
This is truly the final step in releasing the full potential of the Explora and DSTV services!

Not only does it benefit the deaf and hard-of-hearing community, but also elder people like my mom who are more and more relying on subtitles.

Come on DSTV, I know you won't disappoint. This is a great business opportunity and revenue stream for you!

Kind regards,

H
Old 2014-10-25 , 11:12
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermo View Post
Hi,

After years (since 2007) of requesting the ability to record subtitles, we purchased the Explora in Dec 2013.

Since then we have been enjoying many hours of viewing pleasure!

But now it is time for the next BIG step!

When can we expect subtitles to be available on CatchUp and BoxOffice?
This is truly the final step in releasing the full potential of the Explora and DSTV services!

Not only does it benefit the deaf and hard-of-hearing community, but also elder people like my mom who are more and more relying on subtitles.

Come on DSTV, I know you won't disappoint. This is a great business opportunity and revenue stream for you!

Kind regards,

H
Strange enough i have found a few programs that had subtitles on CU

Explora
Old 2014-10-25 , 12:05

You refer to programs that have embedded / burnt-in subtitles.
These are programs like soapies like Binnelanders / Isibaya etc. or foreign programs.

You won't find them on any of the mainstream shows or movies. That is where my demand / request is.
Old 2014-10-25 , 15:20
Forum Queen (gets her subjects to change her remote batteries daily.)
[Dear Twitter: Forum Queen is not a MultiChoice employee.]

That show about the doctors (think it was called Night Shift or something) had subtitles on CU. I got very exited for a bit but so far it was the only one I could find. I've always been an advocate for subtitles on CU. Started watching with headphones cause with my little hearing problem watching without subtitles or headphones is just not an option.
Old 2014-10-25 , 16:13

Ok, now that a specific show was mentioned I could verify it...and indeed you are right!
Apologies JeanP!

So how come some have and others not? If one has it, surely it can't be too dificult to put it on for the rest?
Old 2014-10-25 , 17:02
Technical Myriad

The shows have to be produced to include embedded / burnt-in subtitles, otherwise a separate process is required.

HI subtitles also requires a separate process.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2016-08-12 , 15:44
Changes remote batteries daily

Surely there must be software available that can convert voice to subtitles , or will the results be too inconsistent ? I would let the software do all the work first and then just watch for any errors
100/50 Fibre (OpenServe/AH Capped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2016-08-12 , 15:45
MultiChoice

The team tell me they have quite a few Catch Up titles in August that will have hearing impaired subtitles. And that they are also working on ensuring all the movies on Catch Up have this (this will take a while as they start with new titles only). Express from the US titles won't ever have HI subtitles due to the short turnaround time - for these they recommend you record the live broadcast airing later in the week (not the early morning timeslot).

Here is the list for August:

Title
Platform
The Fosters
Premium,Extra,Compact
12 Monkeys
Premium Explora PUSH
Containment
Premium Explora PUSH
Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders
Premium Explora PUSH
Devious Maids
Premium Explora PUSH
Elementary
Premium Explora PUSH
Hawaii Five-0
Premium Explora PUSH
Madam Secretary
Premium Explora PUSH
Major Crimes
Premium Explora PUSH
Mike and Molly
Premium Explora PUSH
Mistresses
Premium Explora PUSH
Mysteries Of Laura
Premium Explora PUSH
Nashville
Premium Explora PUSH
NCIS: New Orleans
Premium Explora PUSH
Orange is the New Black
Premium Explora PUSH
Reign
Premium Explora PUSH
Scorpion
Premium Explora PUSH
Supernatural
Premium Explora PUSH
The Catch
Premium Explora PUSH
The Originals
Premium Explora PUSH
The Vampire Diaries
Premium Explora PUSH
Zoo
Premium Explora PUSH
Beauty And The Beast
Extra,Compact
Gotham
Extra,Compact
House of Cards
Extra,Compact
iZombie
Extra,Compact
Quantico
Extra,Compact
Teen Wolf
Extra,Compact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2016-08-12 , 18:33

Thank you Marietjie,

Well that is some great news!!

Will definitely check it out this month!

Something else regarding the Express from the US not having subtitles: I can understand why and I respect that, but what I do have issues with is when I record a season, I have no control over when the next episode is recorded. Often I have found that it records the Express from US version, and then there is no subtitles. I cannot force it to record the later episode that will always have subtitles.

This has often lead to frustration and depending on how far behind I was when I discovered the error, I had to find the missing episodes elsewhere through other medium.

Is there a way users can control the recording of a season and force specific timeslots?

Last edited by hermo; 2016-08-12 at 18:41. .
Old 2016-08-13 , 07:43
Changes remote batteries hourly

Hi, as it's the weekend MC Marietjie may not be able to answer before Monday so here's some ideas;

Depends on which PVR you've got - if one of the older HD PVRs then I'm not sure (can't recall) how or if a SBR (Series Based Recording) can be rescheduled for a later slot, so then setting a recurring TBR (Time Based Recording) is the answer.
With the Explora, it's "easier" - you press OK on the Schedules List entry, then select "Other Airings" and make a later selection. (Careful though of setting series on channel 101 to the immediately following slot on channel 901 instead, they are not going to have subtitles yet either.)
A bit of a pain, but there's no easier way as "automating" any such need would probably be more complex to do than it's worth.

In my case (for other needs) I find it necessary to "babysit" my scheduled recordings on a daily basis, but the results are great as it does exactly what I require from it
Tags
boxoffice, catchup, deaf, explora, subtitles