View Poll Results: Do you miss the Forum King?
Yes! My heart feels incomplete when the Forum King is not on the forum 1 8.33%
Yes! I think he should make more effort to be here - I don't care if he's busy 5 41.67%
No! Who is the Forum King anyway? 8 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll
Old 2017-11-20 , 15:32
Technical Myriad

Go to Vumatel direct and try and find out what ISPs they support.

On a different note. Vumatel do plenty of damage to driveways and paving when they do their underground work. So watch them and do not let things be, complain if they fail to restore things after the trenching.

You will end up with a connection point terminating 2 fibre cores on the outside of the house. try and influence where this is placed if the location they choose does not suit you.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-11-21 , 10:36
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
You will end up with a connection point terminating 2 fibre cores on the outside of the house. try and influence where this is placed if the location they choose does not suit you.
In a neighbourhood such as Beetle's (which is an older neighbourhood), wherever they put the connection is going to be an issue. Getting that connection into the house is also going to be interesting (I'm thinking if ever he goes this route, a day's leave and a lot of popcorn may be in order ), given that the current (overhead) Telkom line comes in from the rear of the premises, while the fibre will be from the front. Unlike in my much newer area, there is no existing channeling into the house from the street (made the installation of my fibre connection a piece of cake).

From what you're saying about Vuma, it seems like a generalised thing amongst all of them. Corline seem to simply go ahead and dig their trench, and if that happens to destroy your electrical connection, and water supply, well, that's your problem...

I went the fibre route because I didn't have anything else, and I know my area has had issues with getting an ADSL line installed (I gave up on even getting a phone line about 9 months after applying and paying for one...did get my money back in the end). So not having to deal with the monster that is Helkom worked for me. So far (about a year down the line), I've no real complaints about the service I've received from MWeb, having now gone from a 2Mbps line originally to a 4Mbps line when the pricing changed, to a 10Mbps line now. It is a bit pricey, but it is uncapped, and works like a charm now. You don't really get a dip in performance, and the upload speed is considerably faster than ADSL would've been.

In fact, that's the one major benefit to fibre over standard ADSL packages: the upload speed. Not a biggie if you're only using your internet for downloading and streaming, but a big plus if you want to use VOIP (or video call New Zealand, as we do occasionally).
Old 2017-11-21 , 10:48
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeII View Post
In fact, that's the one major benefit to fibre over standard ADSL packages: the upload speed. Not a biggie if you're only using your internet for downloading and streaming, but a big plus if you want to use VOIP (or video call New Zealand, as we do occasionally).
I have to agree - that is one of the biggest advantages of fibre - my upload speed is probably 10 times what it used to be on an ADSL of the same speed. This is very usefull when uploading large files or sending large attachments via e-mail and, as mentioned, with video calling.

Another advantage of fibre is the ease of upgrading to a faster speed once pricing allows or you wish to do so. With an ADSL line there will most likely not be much development/improvement/investment forthcoming so whatever the max speed currently available is, that is probably going to remain the max speed available.

I am now paying less for a 100Mbps fibre line with a 400GB cap at M-Web (more than enough) than what I used to pay for my 40Mbps ADSL line (uncapped) - mainly due to cancelling my Telkom line - and I am VERY happy.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old Yesterday , 07:57
Changes remote batteries hourly

Here's a gift for someone who has everything this Xmas... a new type of egg-separator

egg-separator.jpg
Old Yesterday , 10:15
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Here's a gift for someone who has everything this Xmas... a new type of egg-separator
Hahahaha! I would SO buy that!!!
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.