Old 2017-11-10 , 10:40
MultiChoice

Folks sincerest apologies, I thought we posted about the new DStv HD Decoder here - the 4137 model. That is it for single view decoders for quite a while now, so no imminent further developments on that front.

My computer is just not on the network at the moment - will pull out our notification and post it here so you can see features, etc.
Old 2017-11-10 , 11:12
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
Folks sincerest apologies, I thought we posted about the new DStv HD Decoder here - the 4137 model. That is it for single view decoders for quite a while now, so no imminent further developments on that front.

My computer is just not on the network at the moment - will pull out our notification and post it here so you can see features, etc.
Thanks for the response appreciated. No the first inkling we got was when the OK advertised the decoders for sale. Since then a few other sources have started showing some detail but very superficial. Last I looked, there is nothing on the new decoders on the DStv website either.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-11-10 , 12:14
MultiChoice

Here is the press release we issued....

NEW VERSION OF DStv’s HD SINGLE VIEW DECODER

MultiChoice has just released a new version of its DStv HD single view decoder. It’s similar to the existing HD decoder, with some tweaks to offer customers an even more streamlined and reliable viewing experience.

This decoder is aesthetically designed to resemble the award-winning Explora, and is smaller and more compact. It’s also the first DStv decoder that has the smartcard technology integrated into the decoder.

It comes with a new remote control, model B6, which allows customers to programme up to five buttons to control their TV and home theatre from a single remote.

“We’re proud that this decoder and its software, is made here in South Africa. Our Explora is made in a dedicated factory in East London, and the DStv HD Decoder 5-series will be made in Durban and Randburg. This represents a vital contribution to the manufacturing sector in South Africa,” said Gerdus van Eeden, Chief Technology Officer for MultiChoice.

The DStv HD Decoder 5-series will be available from leading retailers, DStv Service Centres and Agencies from 1 November 2017.

Some technical notes:

Customers with newer installations who have an Explora 2 and smart LNB, will be able to set up XtraView without having to update their installation or needing to run a dedicated cable between the two decoders, as they will communicate via the installation cables

For those customers who don’t currently use a smart LNB in their installation, we recommend you check with your DStv accredited installer for alternate solutions
Old 2017-11-10 , 12:28
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
Some technical notes:

Customers with newer installations who have an Explora 2 and smart LNB, will be able to set up XtraView without having to update their installation or needing to run a dedicated cable between the two decoders, as they will communicate via the installation cables...
I presume that it will work just as well with the Explora 1 involved instead, except that then an external diplexer is required.

This statement also implies that the 4137 also has a built in diplexer now.

----------

Just one more question from me - why 2 tuners??
I'm presuming there are 2 from what Geoff posted in the other thread, but can't for the life of me think why...

TIA.
Old 2017-11-10 , 13:27
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
This statement also implies that the 4137 also has a built in diplexer now.
Correction - there's no internal diplexer involved as there's no RF ports, for use with an Explora 2A it instead receives "Uniview" HB (heartbeat) directly via LNB cabling.

EDIT: Have since altered the above line again, but it's a bit more complex than that - see the other thread Dstv 4137 5s Inatallation for details of this new "Uniview" and the older HB option with older decoders where an external diplexer would be needed. Please ask any questions there.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-11-11 at 07:42. . Reason: Final update