Forum > Content > Sport > FA Cup 2018/2019
Old 2018-02-27 , 09:43
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Default FA Cup 2018/2019

As mentioned elsewhere I believe that "droptheballsport" also sometimes known as Supersport have lost yet another important footballing competition to some or other opposing operator. I am absolutely appalled at this and cannot understand what is going on at MC and Supersport.

Yet another prime offering which we have come to expect from Supersport has been lost. Add this IMPORTANT event to those that were already lost, Serie A, Bundesliga, European preliminary games, English Championship League to mention a few, and someone is seriously in need of firing!!!! That's just football tournaments. Won't mention anything about darts, snooker, motor sport that have all disappeared from our screens over the past year or two.

If the powers that be think that ice cricket, computer games, football from north of our borders in Africa make up for these losses then they are even further from reality than one would think they are.

Although costs of bringing these sporting events are expensive where has all the money that has been saved on the aforesaid events gone to?

I am sorry but whoever is in charge of Supersport needs to be dismissed as a matter of urgency and replaced, along with those negotiating deals with sports providers, with immediate effect.

Losing of one of the premier footballing events is just unforgivable. Irrespective of the cost.

Before I get told that there's more interest in the Zambian, Nigerian Football Leagues I would like to ask those in charge of the "coffers" how many people in South Africa do you see wearing shirts representing ANY of those sides? Then compare that with the number of people you see wearing manchester united, Liverpool, Arsenal etc shirts.

Although this thread is placed under the sporting headline I think Multichoice needs to take a serious look at what's happening on their Supersport packages. I'm being serious when I say that a number of my friends, and myself, are only staying with DStv because of the sports packages. These are becoming less and less and starting to reach the stage where what is being offered isn't worth the outlay.

I would really like a reply from Supersport to this complaint.

Please would anyone reading this, and is in agreement with me, or perhaps even those who aren't, kindly just leave a short message regarding this and not just move on after reading it. Can simply be one of two words, either "agree" or "disagree" or whatever it is you want to say. But PLEASE if you are interested in football then don't just read and move on. Thanks.

Last edited by beetle bailey; 2018-02-27 at 09:49. .
Old 2018-02-27 , 10:00
Knows how to use a remote

Agree 100%
Old 2018-02-27 , 10:07
Changes remote batteries hourly

I'll also take up the offer to comment, of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
Before I get told that there's more interest in the Zambian, Nigerian Football Leagues I would like to ask those in charge of the "coffers" how many people in South Africa do you see wearing shirts representing ANY of those sides? Then compare that with the number of people you see wearing manchester united, Liverpool, Arsenal etc shirts.
Are you sure about that BB? Consider what limited areas you frequent, I have to wonder what different groupings in other areas would think of this comment. We can't know what is popular in the vast unknown beyond our limited environment.

The other point I want to make - I don't know if or how much it applies in this instance, but much of the rights problems have been based in Nigeria. Their DStv service is actually not the main competitor there surprisingly, and there's a lot of hot contesting which goes on that has an affect across the whole continent.
Details of this would need to be understood in a much better light than I'm touching on, but I do believe this isn't just some carelessness or unprofessionalism but rather a very complex and difficult puzzle which is far from being in balance right now, IMO largely due to the still weaker economy here.

But your annoyance at how this is affecting you, whatever the actual facts are, is more than justifiable.
Hopefully SS will have some real depth of understanding to offer here.
Old 2018-02-27 , 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
I'll also take up the offer to comment, of course

Are you sure about that BB? Consider what limited areas you frequent, I have to wonder what different groupings in other areas would think of this comment. We can't know what is popular in the vast unknown beyond our limited environment.

The other point I want to make - I don't know if or how much it applies in this instance, but much of the rights problems have been based in Nigeria. Their DStv service is actually not the main competitor there surprisingly, and there's a lot of hot contesting which goes on that has an affect across the whole continent.
Details of this would need to be understood in a much better light than I'm touching on, but I do believe this isn't just some carelessness or unprofessionalism but rather a very complex and difficult puzzle which is far from being in balance right now, IMO largely due to the still weaker economy here.

But your annoyance at how this is affecting you, whatever the actual facts are, is more than justifiable.
Hopefully SS will have some real depth of understanding to offer here.
Well, whatever the reason Supersport need to up their game because there are a number of people, just in my circle of friends, who have DStv for the sports packages. Over the past few years there's been a steady decline in what is being offered. Especially when it comes to the football packages. Whether this is due to the competition elsewhere on the continent or not I cannot say but those other competitions I mentioned in my first post disappeared from our screens with nothing similar replacing them. Where has that money gone to? If Supersport are not prepared to spend the necessary money to obtain PRIME sports content then the whole DStv Multichoice service better be placed on high alert. Read Facebook and Twitter comments about subscribers apparently leaving, or downgrading, in what appears to be droves. Only MC will have the figures for us. Be curious to know not the total number of local subscribers that they have but rather how many left in the past six months.

I will stick to my theory that there is a huge following of the English Premier League and it's Cup competitions across the whole of Africa. When taking the totals into account I'm certain that a team like Arsenal, for an example, will be found to have a greater following than say any one team in any of the other African leagues.
Old 2018-02-27 , 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Agreed I perhaps do only frequent limited areas but when walking in shopping malls, watching sports matches on the tv etc, I've seen people of all persuasions wearing EPL team shirts. Cannot recall anyone wearing a shirt representing a Nigerian or one of the other African countries teams. Suppose there must be a couple around but not that I've seen. Lots of Barcelona shirts as well.
Old 2018-02-27 , 11:03
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
Agreed I perhaps do only frequent limited areas but when walking in shopping malls, watching sports matches on the tv etc, I've seen people of all persuasions wearing EPL team shirts. Cannot recall anyone wearing a shirt representing a Nigerian or one of the other African countries teams. Suppose there must be a couple around but not that I've seen. Lots of Barcelona shirts as well.
When MC launched Exploras and Showmax with Internet connection I knew that days of enjoying sport on SS are numbered. Now their main concern is selling decoders and Showmax, they no longer care about other stuff

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk
*AV MultiBox for viewing TV1 on TV2 and TV2 on TV1
*Idling: 1 x 1131 (re-packaged) waiting for XV+
Old 2018-02-27 , 11:10
Changes remote batteries hourly

That's a bit of a thin argument IMO Puggy - just for S.A. we currently have 16 SS channels, that's hardly them thinking that sport is unimportant. They've regularly stated that it's one of their prime attractions.
Old 2018-02-27 , 11:16

I don't think it's appropriate to question the increased coverage of other African leagues on the platform.

Multichoice has been covering those African leagues in the rest of the continent for years already on Supersport 9 (and the former channel that had the name "Supersport 10," which was a purely Nigerian sports channel and not the Supersport 10 we know today) and just added Suspersport 9 to South Africa a few years ago without having to pay more than what they were already paying the African leagues (as they basically have been funding those leagues since the early 2000s).

In fact, instead of this perceived increase in African football, there was actually a decrease a year or two ago due to Multichoice dropping the league of a country (I can't recall which) due to differences with the FA of that country.
Old 2018-02-27 , 11:32
4K, baby!

As I mentioned in another thread, soccer is not my forte but, if indeed this turns out to be true (I'm not sure this has been confirmed as a fact yet?), MC can expect a very big revolt - followed by a large number of people downgrading from Premium or cancelling their subs. The FA Cup is among the most watched tournaments worldwide - even I know that.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2018-02-27 , 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, soccer is not my forte but, if indeed this turns out to be true (I'm not sure this has been confirmed as a fact yet?), MC can expect a very big revolt - followed by a large number of people downgrading from Premium or cancelling their subs. The FA Cup is among the most watched tournaments worldwide - even I know that.
Obvious Krugie I'll downgrade to accommodate the other suppliers. I don't watch series on DStv. My channels on DStv are all SS channels, ID, CI, CBS Reality, RAI, Boomerang and Discovery Family. That's the only channels I watch

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk
*AV MultiBox for viewing TV1 on TV2 and TV2 on TV1
*Idling: 1 x 1131 (re-packaged) waiting for XV+