Forum > Content > General > MNET Analogue decoders being replaced
Old 2017-12-08 , 16:53
Changes remote batteries hourly

Great, thanks for all the info MoM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
They also get whatever free to air channels are available.
I presume that will be the basic SABC & eTV channels.

Have a good weekend.
Old 2017-12-08 , 21:32
Still listens to the wireless

Quote:
I would like to seriously recommend that you take up the offer and do the migration.
Recommendation noted

Quote:
If you are in a GOtv reception area, they will migrate you to GOtv - a special M-Net package ...
My area does shows GOtv coverage, albeit from the Gelukskroon transmitter (34km away), which is what leads to my misgivings about DTT signal strength as previously explained. Speaking only from a signal strength point of view, the satellite option would seem to make more sense.

Quote:
... If you are not, you will go to DStv on a special M-Net package.
Ah, so that's the nature of the two offerings : M-Net via GOtv using digital terrestrial TV; or M-Net via IS20 satellite for areas where there's inadequate (or zero) terrestrial coverage.

Quote:
These [analogue] signals will be switched off next year ...
Interesting!

Quote:
- and considering everything is being done for you at no cost to you, not sure why you are still not sure?
If cost - or the apparent lack thereof - were the only consideration, I would agree.
However I'm one of those strange people who likes to know a bit more about the nature of the offering, possible options, and what some installer plans to tack onto my wall for R100 or even for free. There's still no such thing as a free lunch

Last edited by Bannerman; 2017-12-08 at 22:12. .
Old 2017-12-08 , 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
There do seem to be two options being offered to those with terrestrial MNET services. the one is as per MC Marietjie's post on GOTV terrestrial, and the other is by installing a satellite antenna and HD decoder. The satellite used is IS 20/10 68.5 degree East.
Quote:
If you are in a GOtv reception area, they [Multichoice/the installers] will migrate you to GOtv - a special M-Net package. If you are not, you will go to DStv on a special M-Net package.
For the sake of convenience in one post, and for those who will land up here in future, the page describing the M-Net offering delivered via terrestrial GOtv (DTT) is here, and the GOtv terrestrial coverage map is here.

Quote:
What I don't know is what channels are available, as the reports from persons affected are vague. MNet is on channel 902 and CSN is on channel 490, that I have had confirmed from more than one person.
Quote:
Going DStv means a full DStv set up but instead of going on one of the DStv packages, [subscribers] get their current M-Net and CSN channels at the same price [as analogue M-Net/CSN]. They also get whatever free to air channels are available. There is nothing complex here, they get it delivered via satellite with a dish and a DStv decoder. It is played out like any other DStv package.
Thanks, Geoff D and Marietjie, that's all helpful info.

Quote:
The decoder being used is very confusing. Some are saying the decoder used is an Explora, Others say it is an Explora HD, and others are saying the decoder used is the HD single view decoder. Unfortunately, the model number of the decoder used is not provided.
Yes, I'm not sure why this info is so hard to come by, especially for existing analogue M-Net subscribers!
As an existing subscriber, Multichoice has all my details, but the last formal communication I had on this issue was a letter delivered by email on 3 Feb 2016. That was before the calls from Multichoice and the installer a few days ago.
Why not put the full story on a Multichoice web page somewhere where subscribers and Google can see it ?
Old 2017-12-10 , 11:51
Technical Myriad

Outstanding questions:

(1) GOtv does not include access to the FTA SABC and e-tv channels?
(2) The Mnet and CSN channel replacement service via DTT therefore also excludes SABC and e-TV FTA channels?
(3) The satellite replacement excludes SABC and e-tv?

The coverage map suggest I have two options for DTT coverage -- From the Hartebeespoort dam to the West and the Middleburg transmitter to the East.

Both coverages in my area are extremely poor and patchy.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-12-10 at 11:54. .
Old 2017-12-11 , 11:03
MultiChoice

Quote:
(1) GOtv does not include access to the FTA SABC and e-tv channels?
M-Net analogue cusotmers are not moved to a GOtv package but a special package called M-Net Go.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
(2) The Mnet and CSN channel replacement service via DTT therefore also excludes SABC and e-TV FTA channels?
No it does not - remember as part of the condition of our license, we have to offer the Free to Air channels

Quote:
(3) The satellite replacement excludes SABC and e-tv?
No, it includes the Free to Air channels

Quote:
The coverage map suggest I have two options for DTT coverage -- From the Hartebeespoort dam to the West and the Middleburg transmitter to the East.

Both coverages in my area are extremely poor and patchy.
When the installer comes to your house, he will check the signal strenght and make a decision on which one to install based on that.

This is only for currently active M-Net analogue customers.
Old 2017-12-11 , 11:08
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannerman View Post
Why not put the full story on a Multichoice web page somewhere where subscribers and Google can see it ?
https://www.dstv.com/topic/mnet-****...RoCvIIQAvD_BwE

If you go to DStv.com and search under digital migration or M-Net analogue, you will get this info.
Old 2017-12-11 , 14:34
Technical Myriad

Thanks for the info. Query was on behalf of a neighbour.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2017-12-12 , 22:08

Quote:
If you go to DStv.com and search under digital migration or M-Net analogue, you will get this info.
Yes, I will, and I did, way in the distant past.
But that info is close to 2 years old and only marginally relevant now in light of the migration options Multichoice is offering. For instance, it still says, and I quote : ".. we are NOT migrating our existing M-Net analogue customers now." Hello ?!
It doesn't say anything about the two options now available, ie DTT/MNet-Go/MNet+FTA versus DStv MNet+CSN+FTA, depending on DTT coverage.

Apart from covering the basic facts that have been unravelled in this forum, here are a few questions I think at least a few of the average analogue MNet analogue subscribers are going to want answers to, ideally in a subscriber communication or on an open web page somewhere :
  1. If I am offered the DTT/MNet-Go/M-Net package, is this setup capable of HD reception ? Is MNet available in HD with this setup ?
    How about the other FTA channels like eTV ?
  2. If my area has DTT/MNet-Go/M-Net coverage, would I have the option of going to a satellite dish+decoder setup with a DStv MNet+CSN+FTA package instead ? Perhaps with a pay-in ?
  3. If I am offered the DStv MNet+CSN+FTA package, what type of decoder will I get ? SD ? HD ? Explora (HD with HDD) ? Will the setup be HD-capable ? Will I see MNet in HD ?
  4. If I want to upgrade to a higher DStv decoder model right from the word go - possibly with a later move to DStv Premium in mind - what are my options ?
  5. If I am offered the satellite option, and since I assume MNet is funding the equipment for the install, what diameter dish will be installed - the "bare minimum" 60cm, or a "proper" 90cm ? Would I be able to upgrade from the outset (thinking HD and better bad weather tolerance) ?

Last edited by Bannerman; 2017-12-12 at 22:21. .
Old 2017-12-12 , 22:47
Changes remote batteries hourly

Probably a work in progress, this whole change is only just starting to see the light of day.

I used to install terrestrial M-Net, long ago.
What I can help with;

The two terrestrial channels via the DStv platform - I've only seen them being available in SD, and what I'll describe as a special version of the widescreen format, but that doesn't mean a HD plan isn't available or being developed. We all (DStv Premium S.A. subscribers) used to have access to the terrestrial M-Net channel until it started causing interference of sorts, and some of us believe these are the main feeds that subsequently also deliver their feed to all or most of the terrestrial transmitters for the various DTT service options, but don't know for certain so some feedback from MC is likely to go further into all of this at some stage.

Another recent thread covered and then confirmed the fact that your service when via the DStv satellite platform is normally delivered via one of the modern non-PVR HD Decoders. (SD decoders aren't manufactured anymore.)

The standard supply of dishes when MC is involved is always for 80 or 90 cm these days. 80 cm is considered as good as 90 cm.

(Removed last paragraph as answers did end up coming quicker than expected.)

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-12-13 at 08:17. . Reason: Tidy up
Old 2017-12-13 , 05:54
MultiChoice

If I am offered the DTT/MNet-Go/M-Net package, is this setup capable of HD reception ? Is MNet available in HD with this setup ?
How about the other FTA channels like eTV ?

The terrestrial television is not in HD at the moment, neither is any free to air channels.

If my area has DTT/MNet-Go/M-Net coverage, would I have the option of going to a satellite dish+decoder setup with a DStv MNet+CSN+FTA package instead ? Perhaps with a pay-in ?

This is a discussion you can have with the accredited installer. Most of the installation that are being done are DStv ones due to availability of GOtv decoders.

If I am offered the DStv MNet+CSN+FTA package, what type of decoder will I get ? SD ? HD ? Explora (HD with HDD) ? Will the setup be HD-capable ? Will I see MNet in HD ?

You get a DStv HD Decoder - 4 or 5 series. So you won’t get HD now but if you move to another DStv package, you will.

If I want to upgrade to a higher DStv decoder model right from the word go - possibly with a later move to DStv Premium in mind - what are my options?

This will be at your own expense for the decoder. The installation will be capable to handle a PVR but we will only pay for the single view HD decoder

If I am offered the satellite option, and since I assume MNet is funding the equipment for the install, what diameter dish will be installed - the "bare minimum" 60cm, or a "proper" 90cm ? Would I be able to upgrade from the outset (thinking HD and better bad weather tolerance) ?

It is a proper install with a smart LNB and an 80cm dish

Last edited by MC Marietjie; 2017-12-13 at 09:38. .