Forum > Content > General > MNET Analogue decoders being replaced
Old 2017-12-08 , 09:53
Changes remote batteries hourly

With so few of you left, and very few ever on this forum I doubt you'll find someone in your area here.
I'm not sure how much MC can comment either. At best guess I would think their plans for DTT, whether M-Net GO or GOtv related, are quite different from past terrestrial coverage due to less demand, and quite possibly not finalised or at least subject to on-going adjustments.

The good news is that your analogue signal should likely survive for another 2 years, but even that isn't a certainty.
The digital signals from more distant transmitters will do more than analogue did, although sounds too far for you.

In your case perhaps taking up the satellite feed offer (presume it's that) is best. It would mean no further adjustments needed, and the only negative is the very occasional short weather etc. signal outages. Based on your weakening signals, to go on with terrestrial could mean a needed service to your installation, and then the uncertainty about what the DTT future is for your area.

I'm sure MC will add comment shortly if needed.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-12-08 at 10:02. . Reason: My info needed updating
Old 2017-12-08 , 10:26
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannerman View Post
I'm one of the 'guilty ones' - still on the old M-Net analogue package.
Saw the announcements about the migration to DTT on GOtv around Feb last year, but things have been dead quiet since then.
Got a call from someone at MNet a few weeks ago outlining the migration offer, and a call from a local installer a few days ago. On asking some questions about whether this is terrestrial- or satelite-based, the installer is still insisting that what they install is 'a dish'. Sounds like the installer hasn't seen the stuff yet ?!
Not sure as yet if I'll go for it. To date I've been receiving M-Net from the transmitter on the Menlo Park hill, with which I have reasonably good line of sight (Faerie Glen), but over the last few years the signal quality seems to have deteriorated a lot. I see that the nearest GOtv transmitter site seems to be the one at Gelukskroon(?), up on the Magaliesberg ridge out near Hartbeespoort dam, which is waaaaaaay far from me. Even though digital is better with weak signals, not sure how well that is going to work out.

Anyone in Pretoria been through the process ?
I would like to seriously recommend that you take up the offer and do the migration. If you are in a GOtv reception area, they will migrate you to GOtv - a special M-Net package. If you are not, you will go to DStv on a special M-Net package.

These signals will be switched off next year - and considering everything is being done for you at no cost to you, not sure why you are still not sure?
Old 2017-12-08 , 10:34
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannerman View Post
I'm one of the 'guilty ones' - still on the old M-Net analogue package.
Saw the announcements about the migration to DTT on GOtv around Feb last year, but things have been dead quiet since then.
Got a call from someone at MNet a few weeks ago outlining the migration offer, and a call from a local installer a few days ago. On asking some questions about whether this is terrestrial- or satelite-based, the installer is still insisting that what they install is 'a dish'. Sounds like the installer hasn't seen the stuff yet ?!
Not sure as yet if I'll go for it. To date I've been receiving M-Net from the transmitter on the Menlo Park hill, with which I have reasonably good line of sight (Faerie Glen), but over the last few years the signal quality seems to have deteriorated a lot. I see that the nearest GOtv transmitter site seems to be the one at Gelukskroon(?), up on the Magaliesberg ridge out near Hartbeespoort dam, which is waaaaaaay far from me. Even though digital is better with weak signals, not sure how well that is going to work out.

Anyone in Pretoria been through the process ?
There do seem to be two options being offered to those with terrestrial MNET services. the one is as per MC Marietjie's post on GOTV terrestrial, and the other is by installing a satellite antenna and HD decoder. The satellite used is IS 20/10 68.5 degree East.

What I don't know is what channels are available, as the reports from persons affected are vague. MNet is on channel 902 and CSN is on channel 490, that I have had confirmed from more than one person. The decoder being used is very confusing. Some are saying the decoder used is an Explora, Others say it is an Explora HD, and others are saying the decoder used is the HD single view decoder. Unfortunately, the model number of the decoder used is not provided.

There is no charge at all, so you should take the offer up as there is plenty to be gained from the move.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-12-08 at 10:38. .
Old 2017-12-08 , 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
If you are in a GOtv reception area, they will migrate you to GOtv - a special M-Net package. If you are not, you will go to DStv on a special M-Net package.
Thanks for confirming this Marietjie. Just to clarify - by saying "going to DStv" you're of course not saying it's DStv itself but referring to the additional feeds on one of the same satellites that are also covering these subscribers' terrestrial M-Net package needs.

Also, if it's known when exactly the analogue terrestrial service will be shut off a date would be appreciated, now or later. Thanks.
Old 2017-12-08 , 11:05

@Geoff - do you know if Sentech is still offering comprehensive (and up to date) coverage area details when it comes to DTT? Couldn't find anything last time I checked.
Old 2017-12-08 , 11:59

Sorry for the multiple posts, a bit more info is needed...

Firstly, something the installers may not explain - those directly using the satellite feed of this special package need to know that the defaults for your AR (Aspect Ratio) settings are different from others using MC's satellite services.
Your panel widescreen TV's should still be kept on the widescreen setting. (Some manufacturers incorrectly call it 16:9 which is similar but not the same.) Do not use an automatic setting choice.
The decoder supplied itself should be set to Letterbox (NOT Pillarbox that other services use).
It is possible that these settings will need to be changed to the standard Pillarbox in the future.

I can't comment on MC's dedicated DTT decoders, have no experience with that.

------------------------------------

Another question for MC;

What will be happening to people with the Premium package on DStv who have their M-Net separate, currently received on analogue terrestrial?

It seems their choice will be to keep it separate using a new DTT decoder, or go with using the same special feeds on the IS20 satellite on another newly supplied satellite decoder, depending on their reception area.

Or will one lot of these people or even both now instead be required to replace the old arrangement with the normal channel 101 usually found on Premium? If so would they still be able to keep it separate on another newly supplied satellite decoder?

My one neighbour has this older arrangement, so would like to know what his choices are going to be.

EDIT: If no answer is added I think we can presume that this part is correct;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
It seems their choice will be to keep it separate using a new DTT decoder, or go with using the same special feeds on the IS20 satellite on another newly supplied satellite decoder, depending on their reception area.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-12-08 at 12:34. .
Old 2017-12-08 , 12:56
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
@Geoff - do you know if Sentech is still offering comprehensive (and up to date) coverage area details when it comes to DTT? Couldn't find anything last time I checked.
No. I also tried recently to find coverage maps but s far not successful. I know the main transmitter in JHB is live, as well as the one West of PTA and the transmitters around CT are all working.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2017-12-08 , 16:37
MultiChoice

Default MNET Analogue decoders being replaced

Going DStv means a full DStv set up but instead of going on one of the DStv packages, they get their current M-Net and CSN channels at the same price. They also get whatever free to air channels are available. There is nothing complex here, they get it delivered via satellite with a dish and a DStv decoder. It is played out like any other DStv package.

For customers who used to have Premium minus M-Net - this was changed 2 years ago. We added M-Net back into their Premium and have been offering the stand alone M-Net to them free with the understanding that we’ll switch it off when the time comes. They will not be migrated at our cost and will have to make their own arrangements to get a second viewing environment.

Last edited by MC Marietjie; 2017-12-08 at 16:47. .
Old 2017-12-08 , 16:38
MultiChoice

We’ve been communicating regularly to all our M-Net analogue customers. So we encourage you to ensure your details with us are up to date - email and cellphone number. Then you will be kept in the loop directly
Old 2017-12-08 , 16:50
MultiChoice

There are coverage maps on our GOtv site - link posted earlier in this thread