Forum > Content > General > MNET Analogue decoders being replaced
Old 2017-11-16 , 21:23
Technical Myriad

Default MNET Analogue decoders being replaced

I see plenty of reports about MC replacing working MNET analogue decoders with a new one for free.
An installation charge of R100 is payable.

No details are forthcoming of what the antenna or the LNB or the type and model of decoder?
Yet some are claiming it is a terr decoder setup with a decoder similar to the one used for GOTV?

The latter makes far more sense somehow
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-11-16 at 21:38. .
Old 2017-11-16 , 23:26
Changes remote batteries daily

I'm guessing this is only for active decoders. I have an old Delta 9000 in the garage but it hasn't been used in about 7 years.
Look what they made, they made it for me, happy technology.
Old 2017-11-17 , 09:48
MultiChoice

Hi there Geoff, this is part of the digital migration process that is happening across South Africa. We are gradually moving through each province and replacing the old M-Net analogue decoders with GOtv decoders. We also help customers with the installation, using a selected group of our DStv accredited installers. This is actually at no charge, as we've scrapped the R100. These customers then stay on the same package they've had before that has only M-Net and CSN in it at R389 per month, it's called M-Net GO and sits on the GOtv terrestrial network.

There are only a very limited amount of customers still active on M-Net analogue. And the swap is a requirement as part of the digital migration process.

We have posted about this on the Forum before during the course of the year, and there is information available on our website.
Old 2017-11-17 , 10:30
Technical Myriad

Thanks for the information most appreciated. Will set the record straight with those asking questions.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2017-11-17 , 10:57
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
We are gradually moving through each province and replacing the old M-Net analogue decoders with GOtv decoders.
Hi Marietjie, something isn't clear to me;

Are these GO TV decoders also capable of working with analogue, with the services planned to be switched to digital later?

I would think not, but then it means that you are already supplying digital terrestrial services (DTT) even though AFAIK this technical platform hasn't officially launched yet
Great if MC are, let's just hope that there's no major last minute change to the DTT structure.

TIA
Old 2017-11-17 , 10:59
MultiChoice

The technical platform for DTT has launched - it kicked off last year already. So these services are not on analogue at all but on the terrestrial platform.
Old 2017-11-17 , 11:06

Ok, I must have got confused - thought the hold-ups with the decoders design rulings would be holding up the transmission launches as well. Thanks
Old 2017-11-17 , 13:00
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Ok, I must have got confused - thought the hold-ups with the decoders design rulings would be holding up the transmission launches as well. Thanks

I speak under correction but I think the hold-up only mainly really relates (or related) to whether encryption should be included in the free-to-air options as this adds substantial costs but also makes piracy more difficult.

There were some issues at one stage about the standard to be used as well though (I think between US oandUK/Asian) - but I seem to recall that was resolved.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-11-17 , 13:17

Yes, agreed that it sounds like just that re the FTA issue Krugie, but there were concerns from other than FTA providers as well about the deciding.

As for when it was finalised if it was, it could only then have been this year.

The adopted standard was decided earlier.
Old 2017-12-07 , 20:58
Still listens to the wireless

I'm one of the 'guilty ones' - still on the old M-Net analogue package.
Saw the announcements about the migration to DTT on GOtv around Feb last year, but things have been dead quiet since then.
Got a call from someone at MNet a few weeks ago outlining the migration offer, and a call from a local installer a few days ago. On asking some questions about whether this is terrestrial- or satelite-based, the installer is still insisting that what they install is 'a dish'. Sounds like the installer hasn't seen the stuff yet ?!
Not sure as yet if I'll go for it. To date I've been receiving M-Net from the transmitter on the Menlo Park hill, with which I have reasonably good line of sight (Faerie Glen), but over the last few years the signal quality seems to have deteriorated a lot. I see that the nearest GOtv transmitter site seems to be the one at Gelukskroon(?), up on the Magaliesberg ridge out near Hartbeespoort dam, which is waaaaaaay far from me. Even though digital is better with weak signals, not sure how well that is going to work out.

Anyone in Pretoria been through the process ?

Last edited by Bannerman; 2017-12-07 at 21:00. .