Forum > Content > Sport > Barclays English Premier League 2017-2018
Old 2018-04-06 , 18:05
Changes remote batteries hourly.

manchester united must be going through a low period in their history? Even if they are currently sitting in second position on the log. Huge derby for them coming up tomorrow yet there's been no comments about how they are going to "smash" City. Couple of years ago the united supporters here would have been all over this thread with their confident predictions of a high scoring win. These days we never hear from them anymore. Cannot be the pressure of work because there have been public holidays and weekends in which they could have posted ... something?

Suppose that IF united manage a win over the weekend then we'll be seeing something otherwise it will be more of the same. Silence. hee hee Come on City!!!!!

Arsenal doing a united this season? Giving up on the league to focus on the Europa League Cup? At this stage of the season, and taking their position on the log into consideration, this seems to be a wise choice. IF that's what Wenger is doing.

Top four almost decided with the teams looking most likely to make it being City, united, Spurs and Liverpool. However, Chelsea not yet totally out of the running but will require those above them to lose at least two of their remaining games. Or is that three?

Relegation zone is still the area of most concern for a good few clubs. West Brom are as good as gone but it's the other two that are going to be joining them that's of interest. My guess will be Stoke and Huddersfield to be joining them.
Old 2018-04-08 , 11:22

Good response by united yesterday to come back from 2-0 down against Manchester City and run out 3-2 winners. Sterling had the opportunities to really kill the game off in the first half and City, even with a slightly weakened team, should have been 4 or 5 up by halftime. The way the first half went I never thought united would come back as they did. Did jose change tactics for the second half? Forget about defending and rather taking the game to City? At 2-0 down with nothing to lose I think he didn't have any choice. However, I also do think that City weren't too concerned about this result as the league is already theirs and it's just a matter of when they accomplish this. They, like Liverpool, were more concerned about the upcoming Champions League second leg match.

Liverpool, too, never started with a full strength side and had some of them on the bench. When they did come on as substitutes it was to replace other first choice players. Injury to Moreno in the warm up also didn't help our chances and he was replaced by a centre half who'd never played left back before. Then only Mane of the main strike force played up front. Alongside him we had Solanke and Ings who between them, for whatever reason, haven't had much first team football. Also first full game back from injury for Clyne. So, really, if Everton were ever going to beat us I'd have thought this was the game they'd be doing so. In the end a 0-0 draw wasn't the end of the world for Liverpool. Does slightly increase the pressure of a top four finish but not by much.

Newcastle doing well at the moment and seem to be getting themselves out of trouble at the bottom of the league.
Old 2018-04-18 , 14:08

Nobody else seems to be bothering with this thread anymore but should there be any Manchester City supporters following it may I take this opportunity of congratulating you, and your team, on winning this season's EPL. Worthy winners and hopefully the BLUE banners will be displayed throughout the City of Manchester?
Old 2018-04-18 , 16:06
Changes remote batteries daily

Hi Beetle, let me join you in congratulating Man City for an outstanding performance all season long. Worthy winners and hopefully will raise the bar for the other big teams in the league.

Strangely prophetic, in August last year I posted a comment in this thread about worrying about Stoke's lack of fire-power this season and that I wasn't sure if Mark Hughes was the right man for the job. 34 games into the season and we've still only scored 31 times (exactly 1/3 of MC's tally) and Hughes has finally gone, although probably 6 games too late, he should have been given the sack at the beginning of December. Even more shocking, our top scorer, Crouch, normally only comes on for the last 15 minutes or so.

With a home game against rampant surprise package Burnley this weekend and then a trip to Anfield after that, I'd say life in the Championship is going to be un-avoidable next season.
Old 2018-04-18 , 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hanson View Post
Hi Beetle, let me join you in congratulating Man City for an outstanding performance all season long. Worthy winners and hopefully will raise the bar for the other big teams in the league.

Strangely prophetic, in August last year I posted a comment in this thread about worrying about Stoke's lack of fire-power this season and that I wasn't sure if Mark Hughes was the right man for the job. 34 games into the season and we've still only scored 31 times (exactly 1/3 of MC's tally) and Hughes has finally gone, although probably 6 games too late, he should have been given the sack at the beginning of December. Even more shocking, our top scorer, Crouch, normally only comes on for the last 15 minutes or so.

With a home game against rampant surprise package Burnley this weekend and then a trip to Anfield after that, I'd say life in the Championship is going to be un-avoidable next season.
Don't rate Hughes as a manager not one bit. Perhaps I'm being a bit too harsh on him as he's never, I don't think, been in charge of a club that has much money to spend so has to make do with, lets call them, average players? But he, along with managers like Pardew, Allardyce and a couple of others seem to move around from club to club trying to avoid relegation. Often without success. Hughes left Stoke and has gone to Southampton who, on paper, don't appear to have too bad a side. Yet they are going down. Cannot see them surviving. West Bromwich seem doomed and it's now only a matter of who the third side to be relegated is going to be. Not sure of the points differences down there but must admit it's not looking good for your Stoke side. Hope you can manage to survive.

Will NEVER happen but I'd really love it if managers like mourinho, Klopp and the other top managers had to manage these "weaker" sides while the managers of those sides got to manage the "stronger" sides. With the current budgets allocated to these sides. Perhaps then we could get to see just how good a manager some of these managers really are. But won't happen. Sigh!!!