Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > HD PVR > Scranbled picture condition when exiting from Catchup TV
Old 2010-10-10 , 11:29
4K, baby!

Default Scrambled picture condition when exiting from Catchup TV

Was unsure whether to note this problem in the Catchup TV threads, or here in the HDPVR section where it was evident, It relates to both topics. Brenda feel free to move it as you see fit.

I was Watching catch-up content on the UEC and experienced this issue.

1) Apparent content problem: This week's Carte Blanche consumer, episide 7 shows the following issue.

Whenever the shot conains any 'pans' at all, there is very extensive jerkiness; this is repeatable and extremely distracting.

2) UEC HD PVR issue, possibly related to 1) above: When exiting from this particular programme, back to live TV, the picture was totally scrambeld per the attached screen shot. You can see that the banner is fine, so it's not the TV getting confused it's the transmitted content only that gets scrambled.

Channel up down does not fix it and it's evident on all channels. Menus are not affected.

Reentering catch-up and playing the same programme, showed a normal picture (albeit with the same extensive jerkiness on pans) however exiting again to live also TV left me with a normal picture. No need to reboot.

Odd one, not seen it before but then again I rarely use catch up. Cheers, K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crazy picture.jpg (70.7 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2010-10-10 at 14:49. . Reason: spelling, detail
Old 2010-10-10 , 14:01
It was a dark and stormy night.
(But because his installation was sound, his DStv reception was perfect.)

I often get a totally scrambled picture when using trick mode on the UEC. Similar to your picture but I don't get the I-plate. The TV flashes "Receiver 720p" as it tries to acquire a signal from the decoder. This lasts for 1 or 2 seconds and then everything reverts to normal. Because this is happening during trick mode it isn't a major issue because usually I'm FFding through ad breaks anyway.
Old 2010-10-10 , 14:28
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethM View Post
I often get a totally scrambled picture when using trick mode on the UEC. Similar to your picture but I don't get the I-plate. The TV flashes "Receiver 720p" as it tries to acquire a signal from the decoder. This lasts for 1 or 2 seconds and then everything reverts to normal. Because this is happening during trick mode it isn't a major issue because usually I'm FFding through ad breaks anyway.
It sounds (from your description, Ken) that the TV is unable to synch from whatever signal it's getting. In my case the TV synched OK, hence the menus & iplate were fine. What firmware version are you running? I have 18/2 and have no such issues in trick mode, but have the PVR set to 'original' sounds like you are using 720P. cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2010-10-10 at 14:53. . Reason: DETAIL.
Old 2010-10-10 , 16:17
It was a dark and stormy night.
(But because his installation was sound, his DStv reception was perfect.)

3.6.21 UEC var 18/2. Yes, I have mine set to 720p.
Old 2010-10-26 , 08:36
Has to hide the DStv remote from the little one.

i saw this with a movie yesterday morning ( i think it was) on mhd1
Old 2010-10-26 , 14:23
MultiChoice

I think we need to delineate the issues here:

1. QC ingest issue on Carte Blanche DoD (amongst other DoD events on both SD and HD).Result is jerky movement, some screen-tearing effects, most likely the result of improper ingest and incorrect de-interlacing settings, coupled with high-compression on ingest to digital.This has been escalated to head honchos at M-Net and DSTV Online.

2. The scrambled picture is actually a separate issue which we are investigating, and which the OP has given us plenty of information to find the root cause. It seems it is a UEC issue for now.My suspicion is an HDMI/HDCP issue, or symptom thereof.

I will feedback once I know more...
Old 2010-10-26 , 15:22
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc riaan View Post
i think we need to delineate the issues here:
agreed, riaan.
2. The scrambled picture is actually a separate issue which we are investigating,........it seems it is a uec issue for now.my suspicion is an hdmi/hdcp issue,.........
look at the picture in post 1 of this thread., only the content is scrambled, not the iplate. Unsure how this could the case with an hdmi issue, surely the whole screen would be scrambled with an hdmi issue???
Cheers, k
. ..

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2010-10-26 at 16:35. .
Old 2010-10-26 , 15:27
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
. ..
agree for an HDMI issue.

The scrambing says to me that it is a decoding issue, that only surfaces under some very specific conditions, that may be related to HDMI authentication ........... ?
Tags
catch-up, exit, picture, scrambled