Forum > Broadcast Errors > Broadcast Errors > Frustrating Record Function
Old 2017-07-25 , 15:24
Still gets up to change channels

Thanks Mpho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 2017-07-27 , 09:51
Technical Myriad

What is worrying me about this is that if we are not careful, the entire idea behind ensuring that a repeat is scheduled for a partial recording will be compromised.

That is and remains the prime purpose of the facility.

What is going wrong here is two-fold.

(1) A user problem. When you schedule recordings, especially a once off of a series, you have to make absolutely sure that you select the once off option and NOT the series option.

(2) A EPG problem. One of many. If the persons loading the EPG information fail to do things properly, a highlight package will be scheduled as part of a series instead of as a stand alone event, which will then trigger the above issue. Secondly, if a highlight package is scheduled as part of a series, it MUST be scheduled as if it is a new episode and not as if it is just part of the last item broadcast.

(3) Another way would be to NOT replace partial recordings ever, but leave it to the user to clean up afterwards.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-07-27 at 10:10. .
Old 2017-07-27 , 10:07
Knows how to use a remote

The "(1)User problem" certainly doesn't apply to the issue I raised, as I was recording an individual program not a series. I very rarely record a whole series and that seems a very easy mistake to avoid.

Most sports events aren't even listed as series (try to record an EPL game and you won't have the option to record all the EPL games in the season, from what I recall) so this doesn't seem to apply to the issues raised so far in this thread.

When I record a series it is a deliberate action ("I want the whole of Westworld as I don't trust CU") and I don't really have an issue with replace in that case, assuming it works and doesn't replace a copy with a tiny problem with one with a bigger problem. But the examples we've raised here of recording the end of something and wanting to return to it later (to find it's been overwritten) are a different issue. I agree that the EPG problems are a factor though, if the TDF stage highlights I referred to had been properly labeled this situation would have been avoided.

When I recorded the end of Stage 21 of the TDF it wouldn't have mattered whether I recorded the individual program or the whole series (which I don't think there was an option for), the decoder would have still replaced it as "incomplete", in this case with an incorrectly labeled highlights package. So this "user error" is not relevant to the problem I had.

Last edited by RyanDavid; 2017-07-27 at 10:17. .
Old 2017-07-27 , 10:12

Hi GeoffD,

Thanks for your input in this matter. I will forward it to the Explora product team.
Herewith a response they have provided, I hope it helps:
The issue of the live rugby match being replaced by highlights is a scheduling/metadata issue and should never happen. This has been raised with the scheduling team.

The partial recording being replaced by a full recording has been a feature since launch. This is the first complaint we have received on it. The more likely use case is that customers would want the full recording rather than the partial one. If possible, bookmark from the original recording could be inserted.

Regards,
Mpho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2017-07-27 , 10:16
Knows how to use a remote

I just want to turn this function off, for all the reasons I have explained. Will we ever get to a point where we don't have "scheduling/metadata issues which should never happen"? Just look at the other threads around the forums. Please consider giving us the option to disable this.
Old 2017-07-27 , 10:17
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mpho View Post
Hi GeoffD,

Thanks for your input in this matter. I will forward it to the Explora product team.
Herewith a response they have provided, I hope it helps:
The issue of the live rugby match being replaced by highlights is a scheduling/metadata issue and should never happen. This has been raised with the scheduling team.

The partial recording being replaced by a full recording has been a feature since launch. This is the first complaint we have received on it. The more likely use case is that customers would want the full recording rather than the partial one. If possible, bookmark from the original recording could be inserted.

Regards,
Mpho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback. I would hate to see the idea of partial recording replacements being compromised because of an issue with how the EPG info (metadata/scheduling issue) is loaded. THAT IS the problem and not the functionality of the decoder recording software and how it works.

It just adds to the never ending list of issues we have with the EPG information, how it is loaded into the system for the various decoder models, and how it is checked before it is streamed out.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-07-27 , 16:58
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

I fully support and agree with Geoff's point of view on this matter. I find this feature very handy when during channel hopping I happen to come across a program or movie which I like to see from the beginning. Recording it partially save me the trouble to search for a repeat, the decoder will find and record a repeat if it become available within the next few days.

Rather sort out the cause of the problem than fiddling with something that is working as intended.
Old 2017-07-29 , 12:55
Still gets up to change channels

Instead of replacing the partial recording, why not create a new recording in the playlist for the re-scheduled program? The user can then choose to either watch the partial or the full recording and delete whichever one he doesn't want?