Forum > Decoders > Installation > Bad picture quality on certain channels
Old 2017-05-31 , 07:48
Still gets up to change channels

Default Bad picture quality on certain channels

Hi guys, have been experiencing a problem for the last few days.
Certain channels quality is very poor. Like when there is bad weather, the signal struggles and you get a pixelated effect with the audio jumping as well. Channel 101 is perfect, others like 901, vuzu, movie channels, comedy, all are loosing quality.

Setup: 2 explora's - one in lounge, other in bedroom. (it happens on both explora's)

Please assist
Thanks

Last edited by badboy4life; 2017-05-31 at 07:54. .
Old 2017-05-31 , 08:22
Changes remote batteries hourly

Hi,

From what you've detailed it sounds like it could at the least be a problem with your dish's LNB skew angle, although there's likely more to it as the suspected problem with vertically polarised channels doesn't explain why Comedy Central is a problem and only 1 of the 3 main movie channels is vertical.

I would suggest more detail first, but not here.
Broadcast Errors is for detailing faults with MC and the channel's broadcasts, please start a new thread in the Installation forum section (unless a Mod has already moved your thread there).

You need to check and post both the signal strength and the signal quality for tuner 1, on both Exploras - please first do so with channel 262, then with 405. Also post what tuner 3 is doing (that shouldn't vary).
So, Explora no. 1 strength & quality for tuner 3, then ch. 262 on tuner 1, then ch. 405 on tuner 1. Then repeat for Explora no. 2.

Also detail how everything is connected, which TVs receive what and what is controlled by remote from where.

I'm not sure when further help would be available to you here.
If you prefer contact a reliable installer for assistance, it is recommended by MC.
Old 2017-06-01 , 11:18

Ok...so I checked

Both readings on the xplora's are the same

Channel 262
Tuner 1 status..............Vertical
Signal strength...........87%
Signal Quality............100%

Tuner 2 status..............Horizontal
Signal strength...........85%

Tuner 3 status..............Horizontal
Signal strength...........65%

Channel 405
Tuner 1 status..............Horizontal
Signal strength...........84%

Tuner 2 status..............Horizontal
Signal strength...........84%

Tuner 3 status..............Horizontal
Signal strength...........66%
Old 2017-06-01 , 11:28

Ok, those are mostly fine so something else is wrong. the oddest thing is that tuner 3 signal strength is quite a bit too low.

Have you noticed if the problem is time of day specific? Also check how windy or cold it may be when the problem occurs (and have a look at the signal values again then).

I'll leave any more to others / maybe until later feedback.

Please can a Mod move this thread, thanks.
Old 2017-06-01 , 11:37
Changes remote batteries daily

I've just checked my tuners and they are almost identical to those of badboy4life - including tuner 3. Strengths vary by maybe 1 or 2%.

I have on occasion noticed a small picture freeze or break-up for a second or so on channels from overseas but it was negligible and probably related to incoming signals from overseas if I have to guess.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.

Last edited by Krugie; 2017-06-01 at 11:41. .
Old 2017-06-01 , 11:39

Thank you...............now we getting somewhere
It happens mostly towards the later evening (8ish or so)
Seems very strange...i also contacted an accredited installer, his guess is that the smart LNB needs to be replaced.

I only hope that this doesnt become a trial and error case at my pockets expense. If you only knew the drama that I have experienced since installing my first xplora....took MC about 3 months to rectify.
They made me change my whole setup (from dish to cabling) and still problems. Eventually i had to buy another xplora....
Old 2017-06-01 , 11:45

Seems very similar to this post

http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php...084#post343084
Old 2017-06-01 , 11:50

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences, I would suggest taking that further as you shouldn't end up being the one laying out for others' mistakes if that's what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy4life View Post
i also contacted an accredited installer, his guess is that the smart LNB needs to be replaced.
Agreed, my main guess as well but didn't want to say it yet. This has been a known problem with a few SLNBs (Smart LNB). I suggest following that route first, especially since it now appears to be a consistent time fault.
All the best with it.

@Krugie, looks like you're not out of the woods yet with your earlier situation... my tuner 3 strength is still quite a bit higher.
Old 2017-06-01 , 11:52

Thanks Optimist!
Old 2017-06-01 , 11:53

Sure thing :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy4life View Post
Seems very similar to this post
I disagree. Quite different IMO.