Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Safety Net issue
Old 2016-10-15 , 12:28
Still gets up to change channels

Default Safety Net issue

I had to buy a new Explora yesterday (the hard drive on my old one crashed). I setup my scheduled recordings and changed the settings for the recording Safety Net to 3 mins before & 10 mins after.

After some shows were recorded last night I noticed that the before/after safety net was 1 min for both. I checked the system Settings and the safety net was as it should be - 3 mins & 10 mins.

I then checked each of the scheduled recordings (clicked Edit for each) - most of them had a safety net of 3/10 mins but some had 1/1 min. For the 1/1 min I deleted the season recording and then re-did the season recording but it still showed the safety net as 1/1 min. In the meantime, I have edited the safety net to 3/10 mins for those with the problem.

Is this a known bug, or am I missing something?
Old 2016-10-15 , 14:19
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Scheduled recordings carry on with the safety net settings applicable at the time they were setup. Delete all of them and redo.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Old 2016-10-15 , 14:28

I did that. As I said above, "For the 1/1 min I deleted the season recording and then re-did the season recording but it still showed the safety net as 1/1 min."
Old 2016-10-16 , 18:54
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

If there is a recording just before the recording you are talking about, or straight after, there cannot be any safety net on the recording. Is that not what is going on?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Old 2016-10-17 , 10:46
Technical Myriad

You have to appreciate a few things:

(1) The Explora decoders are only able to record ONE programme at a time.
(2) Two back-to-back recordings WILL cause the in between safety nets settings to be eliminated. (Because, unlike with the 4 tuners HD PVRs, only ONE setting can be active at any one time).
(3) Three back-to-back recordings one after the other WILL eliminate the safety net between each of the recordings, which means the "centre" recording will have no safety nets at all.
(4) The settings that are operational are the ones that were set at the time the setting was loaded into the decoder.
(5) A switch over time of about 1 minute between recordings is as good as it gets.

(6) I have found over the years, that a safety net setting of 10 minutes front and back works the best.
(7) IF there are two programmes one wants to record on the same channel THEN it is best to set a TBR (MR) instead of trying to make use of serial settings. TBRs (MRs) offer the best control of what happens even when conflicts occur with other recordings as TBRs (MRs) always take precedence over the in-built conflict resolution rules.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2016-10-17 at 17:39. .
Old 2016-10-17 , 16:13

The issue is with the scheduled recordings. For example, a scheduled recording that has no programme being recorded within, say, an hour before/after shows a start/end safety net of 1 minute. The scheduled recordings with the problem are the ones I setup before I changed the safety net to 3/10 mins. I have deleted the season recording and setup it up again but it seems to remember the default safety net of 1/1 minute.
Old 2016-10-17 , 16:22
Changes remote batteries hourly

A huge nuisance I know, but perhaps the best thing is for you to delete all SBRs (after noting them down), do a reboot, then set them all up again.

To make extra sure that everything resets it may even be a good idea to delete the individual scheduled events themselves first.

I'm sure MC will be investigating the problem now.
Old 2016-10-17 , 16:29

Thank you all for your replies. I did do a re-boot between deleting a SBR and then re-setting up again but it still showed the 1/1 minute default. I'll try your suggestion of deleting all recordings and setting them up again.