Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Safety net settings
Old 2014-10-27 , 17:30
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default Safety net settings

Hi, can anyone please explain to me how the safety nett settings work. Mine was 3min start and 10min end. Saturday my explora did not tape ep 2 & 4 of Game of Thrones due to conflick with ep 1 & 3.
Old 2014-10-30 , 09:00
Still gets up to change channels

I have had the same problem - Explora did not record 2,4, or 5
Old 2014-10-30 , 09:29
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstocej View Post
I have had the same problem - Explora did not record 2,4, or 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad95 View Post
Hi, can anyone please explain to me how the safety nett settings work. Mine was 3min start and 10min end. Saturday my explora did not tape ep 2 & 4 of Game of Thrones due to conflick with ep 1 & 3.
I see neither MC nor Explora users are responding to you, so I will try.

It is not directly about the safety net settings. It is about how the priorities work on the Explora.

Before I try and explain what happens, please tell me exactly what you were/are trying to record, when and how do the items appear on the schedule.

Also how did you program the settings?

At the time this issue first occurred, MC undertook to post a piece on how series recordings work on the Explora. (Look in the old forum before it was archived ). Needless to say that post never took place. All we have is a very technical post made at the time by a MC person which was never followed up on.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2014-10-30 , 09:42

Overall I have not had any problems with series recording.

This is the first time that I have encountered a problem, but it also might be the first time I have had back-to-back recordings.

In response to your question, I have created a series recording for Game of Thrones S1 in order to tape all episodes on the Binge weekend.
On the schedule leading up to the weekend, it did not appear that there would be a problem as all episodes appeared on the list. However, on Sunday only episodes 1 and 3 had been recorded with 2,4,5 appearing on the failed recordings list.
Old 2014-10-30 , 09:55
Changes remote batteries daily

This is the problem with having only one tuner availble to record.

If a recording is in progress and the next recording wants to start in that time frame (including safety nets) it will fail and reschedule (look for another airing).
90cm dish; ALL nailed by LIGHTNING 23 Nov ====>[[[[LMX502 ; Explora as Primary in lounge, HD-PVR2 in flat; XV heartbeat via RF outs; Samsung 60LED7000 via HDMI and Sony 42" 576p panel via composite; Flat has 32" Hi-Sense. Denon AVRX1100 configured for 5.1; Sony BluRay; WD media player; All using HDMI/optical/coax.]]]]]
Old 2014-10-30 , 09:56
Technical Myriad

These were all on the same channel one after the other? Which channel? and what was the date?

All were marked as part of a series.? They were played out one after the other on the same day? The decoder had plenty of spare capacity available?

The decoder showed in it schedule list that all the episodes would be recorded? Were there any repeats available for later recording?

Note in a situation like this ALL the decoders except for the 4T decoders would break down and fail to record every second show. In that case we have always advised that the best option is to set a TBR recording for the entire period, as this prevents the in built conflict resolution rules and the safety nets form preventing recordings taking place. The Explora sw in its present form, without any repeats being available is guaranteed to NOT record all the recordings. There are some suggestions that changing the priorities will help, but may not.

The basic should be that the decoder would have recorded 1, 3, 5, missing out 2, 4 UNLESS there was another conflict that caused 5 not to be recorded in preference to another item previously scheduled for recording.
Old 2014-10-30 , 10:24
Changes remote batteries hourly

What Geoff means by a TBR is a Time Based Recording, or known as a manual recording on the Explora, to set just one of them for the entire combined length of the required binge recordings. Seldom, if ever, fails...
Old 2014-10-30 , 10:34

Agree with you Chris. Never had this sort of problem with the old HDPVR with multiple tuners available to record. (hard drive packed up 3 months ago so replaced it with Explora)

Nevertheless one would expect the flagship decoder to be able to take advantage of the much mooted new benefits of the MNET EDGE channel with BINGE weekends playing out entire series, shows back-to-back. Shouldn't have to resort to TBR's, and Prioritisation of series WILL NOT help if it is different episodes of the same series that are conflicting ON THE SAME CHANNEL.

Geoff D for your benefit - Decoder was less than 30% full, channel was 102, time was last Saturday 25th Oct, Currently repeats are still not available, as previously mentioned that shows were scheduled to be recorded with no sign that the decoder was seeing a conflict, the breakdown occurred in the actual recording...
Old 2014-10-30 , 11:07
Still listens to the wireless

I had the same problem with the Game of Thrones recording.Fortunately I noticed that the recording had stopped on E 2 .I then had to cancel the season recording and restart again ,all the episodes were then recorded except for a partial recording of E 2.
I did notice in the week prior to the GOT's binge weekend that there was a error on the EPG regarding E 3.There was a post later on the forum that week regarding this.This was then rectified by MC a few days prior to broadcasting.
I then checked this coming weekends GOT's broadcasting of episodes 5,6,7,8. There was a similar problem in that episode 9 was inserted between episodes 7 and 8. It was also later rectified.To make sure of my recordings I have reset my series recording again and hopefully all episodes will be recorded.

But that is not all .There is a similar issue with season 1 showing of Hannibal on Sony Max .On the 31st the EPG shows that season 2 Episode 1 is showing followed by season 2 episode 2 (this episode on the EPG reflects a time of four hrs).
The following evening we have Hannibal continuing with Season 1 episode 5 and so on.

Phew! 1st time on the forum. Excuse the long explanation.
Old 2014-10-30 , 11:12
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstocej View Post
Agree with you Chris. Never had this sort of problem with the old HDPVR with multiple tuners available to record. (hard drive packed up 3 months ago so replaced it with Explora)

Nevertheless one would expect the flagship decoder to be able to take advantage of the much mooted new benefits of the MNET EDGE channel with BINGE weekends playing out entire series, shows back-to-back. Shouldn't have to resort to TBR's, and Prioritisation of series WILL NOT help if it is different episodes of the same series that are conflicting ON THE SAME CHANNEL.

Geoff D for your benefit - Decoder was less than 30% full, channel was 102, time was last Saturday 25th Oct, Currently repeats are still not available, as previously mentioned that shows were scheduled to be recorded with no sign that the decoder was seeing a conflict, the breakdown occurred in the actual recording...
Yes! So the Explora shows the items as part of a series, is expecting to find a repeat in the future, and therefore relies on the repeat being available in the future, leaves out every second recording, and does not report a conflict as a result. The user, then just gets , 1,3,5. 2,4 are still to be recorded, when the repeats become available, provided:
(a) The user does not delete the setting in the meantime, and
(b) MC does not change the series setting identifier in the interim. There is therefore NO guarantee that the recordings will ever take place.

So therefore no amount of fiddling with the priority levels will ever fix this situation.

Now I guess a few more are aware of why those of us with 4T decoders will not willingly part with their 4T decoders .....