Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > UNWANTED SD PVR REBOOT
Old 2017-07-19 , 11:36
4K, baby!

If anyone here is using the interactive sport, weather and news apps and experiencing these reboots then STOP using them with immediate effect. They were the cause of my numerous reboots.

Not saying this is the same problem but just may be of assistance to one or two of you. This was ocurring with both my 2U and 2P decoders.
Old 2017-07-19 , 12:19
Still gets up to change channels

Nope, do not use any of those services at all. Just regular viewing.
Old 2017-07-19 , 13:06

Dear All,
Please see below info from the Infield Support team:

3000 Abort:
This relates to a memory failure.

816D Abort:
When the decoder freezes up or stops responding for a period of time, the software watchdog will reboot the decoder with this abort code.

The EEPROM memory on the SDPVR is only guaranteed for 1000000 writes. After 1000000 writes have been processed the device is not guaranteed to work. From that point, random failures are expected resulting in issues like memory corruption, loss of settings, box lockup or random reboots. Once the memory device fails it needs to be replaced.

If the EEPROM memory fails, it could explain why the decoder is showing both of these abort codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2017-07-19 , 14:37
Changes remote batteries hourly

Feedback appreciated but there's hardly a chance that such an EEPROM type failure is affecting so many people all at once, and in my case the unit was not in use for many years as it was a spare. Something changed on MC's side has to be triggering it.

I was a little bit hopeful as for the first time since Saturday there hasn't been a reboot here or at my friend since last night, maybe something altered and not widely known about has been changed back again now?
I will post as soon as another reboot happens if it does.
Old 2017-07-19 , 14:54

That feedback for the abort code 3000 was specifically for the one customer "DPA1".

We are not expecting this error code on the other SDPVR decoders. But it won't be surprising if a few customers are experiencing such failures as most of these decoders are more than 10 years old.

We just need clarity on the error code displaying on their decoders when the reboots happen.

Old 2017-07-19 , 15:28

Thanks for clearing that up Mpho.

In my case I've seen both errors, one or the other when I've been present for the reboots, so unfortunately re the fault-finding it's not just triggered by age. Most recent ones were "3000" and I think the last one was "816d". Don't know re my friend.
Old 2017-07-19 , 17:42
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mpho View Post
Dear All,
Please see below info from the Infield Support team:

3000 Abort:
This relates to a memory failure.

816D Abort:
When the decoder freezes up or stops responding for a period of time, the software watchdog will reboot the decoder with this abort code.

The EEPROM memory on the SDPVR is only guaranteed for 1000000 writes. After 1000000 writes have been processed the device is not guaranteed to work. From that point, random failures are expected resulting in issues like memory corruption, loss of settings, box lockup or random reboots. Once the memory device fails it needs to be replaced.

If the EEPROM memory fails, it could explain why the decoder is showing both of these abort codes.

The SD PVR currently in service is 10 years old physically, but less than one year in service.

My old one exceeded that figure I am sure. The final failure code was 816D and it turned out to be a mother board failure. Mined the memory for use in another SD PVR ....
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-07-20 , 19:27
Knows how to use a remote

Angry SDPVR reboots

DSTV comparison of computers being old and not performing people are still operating on Windows XP and Windows 7 even though Windows 10 is now the norm. amazingly these operating systems were the choice of the customer because Windows went in the wrong direction with Windows 8 and only partially corrected this with Windows 10. Customer choice not supplier enforcement your subscribers are satisfied with SDPVR functionality not with Explora. These 100's of channels most probably most people only use about 30 of them and some of those are poor quality viewing or low interest. Listen to your subscribers.
Old 2017-07-21 , 08:25

Can't agree. I've got an Explora & SD PVR and prefer the Explora, though the SD PVR still has much to offer re its sharing design. Hardware on older PCs won't necessarily compare to older decoders which have more specific tasks and unavoidable newer stresses.
As for the channels, long ago it was explained that there's many different interest groups in our region that are being catered to, it's unlikely that any particular one group will find value in more than a few dozen of the channels of their choice.
But agree that MC needs to listen to their customers more, some of these changes they've made have turned out counter-productive.

Re the reboots - had the first one since it stopped @ 20:08 last night, f/p not seen at the time.
Their was very sluggish performance on the unit about an hour before.
Nothing further since.
I don't plan to feedback more, MC should have enough clues about the nature of this by now.
Old 2017-07-22 , 19:09
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Thanks for error code keys. My 816d comes for years now, some periods not rebooting for weeks and then suddenly the reboots are starting. So as suggested by other members previously, maybe rather a software problem. Tonight as usual on the past few Saturdays, it is rebooting after 18:00, now the 2nd time (19:00).

(I have given up a few years back swapping my SDPVR wasting a few hours every time in the queues, since the problems are just coming back. Now I just wait it out and the problems come and go.)