Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Explora - far remote use of new remote functions?
Old 2014-11-29 , 12:31
Changes remote batteries hourly

Question Explora - far remote use of new remote functions?

@MC - I asked this question a few days ago in a related thread, I presume it got lost in the detail;

I think it's both important to know, and for it to be allowed for if not already so - can remote recording for the Explora be initialised from a location beyond Africa?

A function such as this one, and presumed parallel follow-up tech developments in the future, needs to be that flexible to be of true worth when it comes to the international traveller. I would imagine that many who can afford an Explora etc. still travel widely.
And surely it cannot be considered related to any content rights issues as it is just a simple selection and activation process, there's no actual content relaying involved.

While I'm at it...
@Deciding Management (Business division?) - The more that's known about these developments as they evolve the more we can help ourselves and each other, that's why comprehensive user manuals are so important. (Also saves on call centre enquiries.) If not in print, at least online.
Doesn't matter if only a few read them properly, in my experience with dealing with plenty of clients who have needed help through the years, many do at least initially glance through them / refer to them when needed.

Many thanks

Last edited by Optimist; 2014-11-29 at 12:33. .
Old 2014-11-29 , 14:18
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
.........can remote recording for the Explora be initialised from a location beyond Africa? ........
Hi Brian, as when I've tried previously a couple of years ago, it's possible to log into the DSTV site, but you immediately hit the 'oops' trap shown in the pic and can get no further.
I did check with MoM at the time and was told that the DSTV site is geo-sensitive and you can't perform any functions (not even self-service), while out of Africa.

This restriction appears not to have changed. It would probably be too time consuming for MC to code the site to selectively allow management, browsing and remote recording functionality; but to exclude content streaming/downloading services which are protected by local (SA) licencing agreements.

Cheers, K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oops.jpg (48.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2014-11-29 at 14:28. .
Old 2014-11-29 , 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
It would probably be too time consuming for MC to code the site to selectively allow management, browsing and remote recording functionality; but to exclude content streaming/downloading services which are protected by local (SA) licencing agreements.
Thanks Keith, as I suspected.

One would hope that over time this will be addressed, would seem most odd to keep it so limited and if anyone should have the time I would think it should be MC.

BTW, I can't discuss it more with anyone for now as I'm just temporarily online due to load shedding
Old 2014-12-01 , 08:35
MultiChoice

@optimist
remote recording is currently only available in South Africa
Old 2014-12-01 , 08:52

Thanks for the feedback Fathima, but not sure if you're referring to it only being available for S.A. Explora accounts, or about where it can be accessed from for such accounts which was what was meant by the question?

Got the impression from other threads that such South Africans can still at least access is from elsewhere in Africa?

Thanks again
Old 2014-12-01 , 09:45
Technical Myriad

It depends on how MC decides if the function is available or not. If based on the source IP address, and that IP address is not one recognised as being somewhere in SA, the chances are you will NOT be able to access the facility.

Based on other posts about accessing other services via the Internet, the above applies.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2014-12-01 , 11:28
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
It depends on how MC decides if the function is available or not. If based on the source IP address, and that IP address is not one recognised as being somewhere in SA, the chances are you will NOT be able to access the facility.

Based on other posts about accessing other services via the Internet, the above applies.
It's incredibly shortsighted on their part imho.

Right now I'm at my company office. Our internet access egresses via various proxy servers around the world depending on how busy they are. Sometimes it's France. Sometimes it's Germany, etc. So if the above is true, it means I wouldn't be able to access the service from the office...i.e....remotely...
Old 2014-12-01 , 11:46
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt_ctn View Post

Right now I'm at my company office. Our internet access egresses via various proxy servers around the world depending on how busy they are. Sometimes it's France. Sometimes it's Germany, etc. So if the above is true, it means I wouldn't be able to access the service from the office...i.e....remotely...
Yup

What if I am overseas for a trip and I get an email (or see it on the DStv app on tablet) that x movie or x series is starting and I want to record it.

That then means I can't...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 2014-12-01 , 13:48
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt_ctn View Post

The issue is the content is licensed for a region and so regional restrictions are dictated by the studio's (content) holders. Same way you can only use the BBC iPlayer in the UK.
Old 2014-12-01 , 14:13
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

That I can understand if you're referring to watching Catch Up content online. But we're on about initiating a remote recording.

For e.g. If I'm abroad, and I want to schedule the decoder to record something while I'm away so that I can watch it on my return, that should have nothing to do with geographic location

Last edited by hilt_ctn; 2014-12-01 at 14:16. .