Forum > Content > General > Dialogue - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Old 2018-01-15 , 12:08
Still gets up to change channels

Default Dialogue - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Was it just me, or was the dialog on last night's movie difficult to follow? I don't mean in terms of volume, I just found it incredibly difficult to follow a lot of what was being said by the actors.

It's not generally difficult to hear what American actors say, since they are quite, shall we say, eloquent? But Eddie Redmayne's character, man he was hard to comprehend. Most of the time, it was as if he was speaking under his breath, or off to the side, or mumbling. Had to near max the volume a _lot_ and far too frequent use of the rewind button to try and follow what was being said.

Having watched the entire movie, it wasn't until I visited the wikipedia page that I could even garner the name of Redmayne's character. Could hear the "'mander" part quite clearly, but the beginning part of the word was a mystery.

Possibly just getting old and crotchety as well, but thought I'd put it out there and hear your comments...
Old 2018-01-15 , 12:26
MultiChoice

Must say, I really enjoyed this movie - was just fantastical!

Didn't have any issues following the dialogue - was verey clear on my side. Although I did work with a lot of Brits in the past, so perhaps my ear is just tuned in to the accent?
Old 2018-01-15 , 12:28
Changes remote batteries hourly

Using Stereo or Surround Sound?

I saw this earlier, I think on Box Office and with standard stereo. Didn't seem unusually bad to me, so perhaps a later messed up soundtrack on some options else it could well be you ageing

More on the wider subject was last in this thread: British TV Series - heavy accents
Old 2018-01-15 , 17:46
Still gets up to change channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Using Stereo or Surround Sound?
Just simple stereo - HDMI out the explorer into the tv and then stereo out the tv into the music centre.

Quote:
I saw this earlier, I think on Box Office and with standard stereo. Didn't seem unusually bad to me, so perhaps a later messed up soundtrack on some options else it could well be you ageing
Could be age, or even just tired ears after all that bad news on Carte Blanche...

Quote:
More on the wider subject was last in this thread: British TV Series - heavy accents
I have no problem following the dialogue on Geordie Shore, which must be the acid test to deciding whether one can handle the Brit taal (but I'm cheating here probably, since I grew up in a Geordie household [in Cape Town])...

Could also be because, unlike all the other HP movies, I haven't read the book on this beforehand, which requires all processing and understanding of the movie plot & characters to come from the movie only. Or I could just be getting on.
To be fair, I'll record the next airing and try watching it again....
Old 2018-01-15 , 17:54
Changes remote batteries hourly

Amusing summary

I can only further suggest comparing the adult and family stereo audio tracks, even though there's likely little or no speech content difference in this case. If you post more maybe worth also mentioning your Explora model.
I'm always on adult, usually on an Explora model 1, and I presume MC Marietjie as well or similar.

Last edited by Optimist; 2018-01-15 at 17:56. .
Old 2018-01-16 , 00:04
Changes remote batteries daily

I haven't watched it yet on DStv

But I did watch it on the plane last year and on boxoffice. I didn't have a single issue

Explora
Old 2018-01-16 , 00:05
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
Must say, I really enjoyed this movie - was just fantastical!

Didn't have any issues following the dialogue - was verey clear on my side. Although I did work with a lot of Brits in the past, so perhaps my ear is just tuned in to the accent?

Fantastic right!!!!

Explora
Old 2018-01-16 , 19:31
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanP View Post
Fantastic right!!!!
I don't know Fantastic Beast wasn't for me, it tries to much be tied to Harry Porter of which I am a huge Potter fan.

That's the problem when a movie is overhyped for me, all I can't wait to do is just to bring it down to earth.

Like the new Blade Runner

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk