Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > Remote Controls > Switching channels on onkyo with a6 remote
Old 2014-05-03 , 19:16
Still gets up to change channels

Default Switching channels on onkyo with a6 remote

Hi, I am considering purchasing an A6 remote.
In my setup I have
Samsung led tv
Onkyo surround sound speakers with the amp
Dstv explora
Ps3 & ps4
All my devices connected via hdmi to speakers & then to tv via one hdmi.

I know I can turn on/off speakers using the controller & adjust the volume, but will I beable to select the correct device, ie will it be able to change onkyo from Cbl(ie dstv) to go to ps4(game mode) on the onkyo or would I need to still use onkyo remote to select correct device.

According to other forums my onkyo surround system remote too "cheap" and thus not have universal remote on the speaker remote (remote rc-799m)
Old 2014-05-03 , 21:23
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoePa View Post
Hi, I am considering purchasing an A6 remote.
In my setup I have
Samsung led tv
Onkyo surround sound speakers with the amp
Dstv explora
Ps3 & ps4
All my devices connected via hdmi to speakers & then to tv via one hdmi.

I know I can turn on/off speakers using the controller & adjust the volume, but will I beable to select the correct device, ie will it be able to change onkyo from Cbl(ie dstv to go to ps4(game mode) on the onkyo or would I need to still use onkyo remote to select correct device.

According to other forums my onkyo surround system remote too "cheap" and thus not have universal remote on the speaker remote (remote rc-799m)
A6 only does power, vol up/down and mute. So anything else like source will be from the audio device remote
Old 2014-05-03 , 22:39

Thanks.
Sheesh, harmony remote is soooo expensive....
Any alternatives?
Old 2014-05-04 , 09:18
4K, baby!

Yes, MoePa; The Multichoice A3 Universal remote. Around R150, I think, from MC outlets. DON'T get an Ellies or other equivalent.

Can be taught to emulate the A6 commands and you have complete freedom to programme ALL your other devices. Bags of programming memory available.

I even have a reserved button to power the reciprocating fan next to the bed in my bedroom set-up.

I use A3 remotes on all my decoders and HT systems, both here and in the UK where I have no Multichoice kit.

A3 rules -- OK It's possibly the best product that MC has ever released.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2014-05-04 at 09:24. .
Old 2014-05-04 , 09:33

Oh God,
It looks just like the remote that used to control my hdpvr,
It had the worst buttons for forwarding, & rewinding....
Old 2014-05-04 , 10:15
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoePa View Post
Oh God,
It looks just like the remote that used to control my hdpvr,
It had the worst buttons for forwarding, & rewinding....
Each for his own, I love it!
How about a thanks for saving me some money and providing a full working solution.
If you don't like to look of the A3 you are welcome to fork out for a Harmony!
Cheers, K.
Old 2014-05-04 , 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Each for his own, I love it!
How about a thanks for saving me some money and providing a full working solution.
If you don't like to look of the A3 you are welcome to fork out for a Harmony!
Cheers, K.
Thanks, it is an option, espesially since I cant seem to find logitech remotes & quite cheap too. Seems like logitech has stopped supplying these remotes in SA, ?Amazon import or maybe buy one when im in transit in dubai.
Old 2014-05-04 , 13:09
Changes remote batteries daily

The a6 can switch the hifi. I do it with mine. If I recall correctly you hold down arc and 1 until the LEDs flash then record the hifi remote by pressing it's button. You can record multiple codes into a macro. When done press help. To play back the macro hold arc then press the macro key 1. You can record 1-9 macros. v+/-, mute and power can also be trained but these don't need the arc to play these macros.

The a5 remote that comes with the Explora doesn't have these features. It looks the same except the tv button is black unlike the a6 which is white.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk
Old 2014-05-06 , 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRay View Post
The a6 can switch the hifi. I do it with mine. If I recall correctly you hold down arc and 1 until the LEDs flash then record the hifi remote by pressing it's button. You can record multiple codes into a macro. When done press help. To play back the macro hold arc then press the macro key 1. You can record 1-9 macros. v+/-, mute and power can also be trained but these don't need the arc to play these macros.

The a5 remote that comes with the Explora doesn't have these features. It looks the same except the tv button is black unlike the a6 which is white.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk
THANKS got remote today, good price at takealot, macros switch between modes ... YES NOW I HAVE 1 remote to rule them all...
Tags
dstv a6 onkyo