Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > HD PVR > What do I need for HD PVR installation? (Already have single view decoder and dish)

Old 2010-05-30 , 12:06
Still gets up to change channels

Question What do I need for HD PVR installation? (Already have single view decoder and dish)

Hi everyone, I'm a total n00b and am busy figuring out how to do this the cheapest way.

I've currently got a DSD1110 and a non-HD TV and my own dish / cabling (lots of unused cabling).

I want (need) to buy an HD PVR for my degree, specifically the record 2 watch 1 - long story.

So, questions:

- What do I need in order to connect the PVR to my TV? I know about the Quad LNB, is there anything else?

- How much is the new LNB and do I need to change the dish (it's a brand new 65cm / 70cm one).

- Can I get an installer to do the LNB thing or can I do it myself?

- If I do have to get the installer to come and do it, how much are they usually to just do the LNB / Cabling?

- Can I buy an HD PVR from somewhere like gumtree or do you recommend buying it directly from Multichoice - if so why / why not?

Thanks for your *ongoing* help.

Last edited by MC Rory; 2010-05-30 at 12:20. . Reason: Title
Old 2010-05-30 , 12:18
It was a dark and stormy night.
(But because his installation was sound, his DStv reception was perfect.)

Whereabouts do you live?
Old 2010-05-30 , 19:42

The quickest and most simple option is to install a SatCr LNB on your existing dish, run a second cable from the dish, one going to the 1110 and one to the HDPVR.
As you have a non HD TV you will connect your PVR to your TV either by RF our by RCA.
If you want to watch both satellite environments and only pay one subscription then you will also have to set up the Xtraview/Heartbeat cable between the two decoders.
I would buy a new HDPVR as you will get a full 1 year warranty.

Good luck.
Old 2010-05-31 , 10:40
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernadine.jones View Post
I've currently got a DSD1110 and a non-HD TV and my own dish / cabling (lots of unused cabling).

I want (need) to buy an HD PVR for my degree, specifically the record 2 watch 1 - long story.

So, questions:

- What do I need in order to connect the PVR to my TV? I know about the Quad LNB, is there anything else?

- How much is the new LNB and do I need to change the dish (it's a brand new 65cm / 70cm one).

- Can I get an installer to do the LNB thing or can I do it myself?

- If I do have to get the installer to come and do it, how much are they usually to just do the LNB / Cabling?

- Can I buy an HD PVR from somewhere like gumtree or do you recommend buying it directly from Multichoice - if so why / why not?

Thanks for your *ongoing* help.
(1) You DO NOT have to replace your TV at this stage, all that will mean is you will not get the full HD experience when watching the 3 HD channels.
(2) In your case I would NOT advise doing this yourself, so get in an accreditted installer to help you. BUT BEFORE you make the selection, ask for and check out the references
(3) Make it absolutley clear that you DO NOT want a new antenna and that the installer must if possible use the existing cabling that is in place. BUT at the same time, listen to his advice if the cabling is in a bad shape and needs replacing.

NOW it is up to you to take some rational long term decisions.

(1) You already have a 1110 decoder, which can be combined with the HD decoder to give you View 2 and Record 2 at NO extra cost, because to get access to the PVR record functionality you are already paying the extra cost.

(2) You need to decide WHICH decoder to buy the UEC or the PACE. Indications are that the new UEC is better than the PACE and the price is the same. BUT NOT the small Baby one as it is view 1 record 1 only.

(3) THEN it is about WHERE you want to install the decoders in separate rooms OR in the same room. This is very important because it influences Which of the installation options you choose. And is only required if you have a second TV anyway fro simultaneous viewing. ( There are other innovative ways to use dual view with only one TV also.)

(4) THEN you need to decide IF, as you are bringing in an installer anyway, IF you want to upgrade the antenna or not. And this decision is dependent in the main on YOUR tolerance to poor performance in bad weather conditions. If you do not care about bad weather effects, KEEP the antenna you have, if you are going to be bothered by bad weather then decide, there IS a cost penalty and is it worth it to you or not, its that simple.

(5) Now we get to the LNB choice.

(a) you cannot use the current single LNB option, it HAS to be replaced.

(b) The choices are:

(i) TWIN LNB plus a MS (2x6) MS IF you want to add the 1110 to the HD decoder with XV
= 2 cables from the antenna to the MS, and easy IF the decoders are in the same room.

(ii) SATCR LNB, with at least 1 legacy port. (I would strongly suggest taking one with 2 legacy ports because it will allow more flexibility in the future)

An easy install IF the two decoders are in separate rooms, one cable to the HD decoder, and the other to the 1110 decoder in another room.
Just as easy IF you are installing both decoders in the same room. = 2 cables to the same point.

Both the above require 2 cables to be run from the antenna to the decoders

(iii) A Quad LNB for for more future flexibility - overkill for you at the moment, especially if you are in rented accommodation.

This solution requires 4 cables to be installed from the antenna to the decoder position/s

In order of reliability: Quad the best, SATCR, then TWIN with MS. MS's are turning out to be a common failure point of late, especially IF some of the cables to the decoders are long and others are short.

Thats it.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2010-05-31 at 10:45. .
Old 2010-06-01 , 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
(1) You DO NOT have to replace your TV at this stage, all that will mean is you will not get the full HD experience when watching the 3 HD channels.
(2) In your case I would NOT advise doing this yourself, so get in an accreditted installer to help you. BUT BEFORE you make the selection, ask for and check out the references
(3) Make it absolutley clear that you DO NOT want a new antenna and that the installer must if possible use the existing cabling that is in place. BUT at the same time, listen to his advice if the cabling is in a bad shape and needs replacing.
Thanks Geoff D! You answered all my questions. So are you saying that I don't need to replace the dish if I want the PVR?

I'll probably go with the Twin LNB + MS as I only need this set up for 5 days at the most - I only need to record so many channels for my degree and can't really afford all this cost so I'm trying to do it as cheaply as I can.
Old 2010-06-01 , 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethM View Post
Whereabouts do you live?
I'm in Rosebank, Cape Town. Why do you ask?
Old 2010-06-01 , 19:24
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Just off topic, bernadine, you are the one that needed to record a whole lot of channels for your MA research ? What did the MC representative do to help you ? I remember reading your post some time ago.
Old 2010-06-01 , 19:59
It was a dark and stormy night.
(But because his installation was sound, his DStv reception was perfect.)

Bernadine, the reason I asked is because there are some reputable installers and other nice people on this forum who could help you if they knew more or less where you lived.
Old 2010-06-01 , 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm001 View Post
Just off topic, bernadine, you are the one that needed to record a whole lot of channels for your MA research ? What did the MC representative do to help you ? I remember reading your post some time ago.
I got an email from the MC rep who was very nice in sending me an entire list of contacts of all the channels on the DSTV platform. Although very nice of her, it doesn't help me directly. As DSTV do not "own the copyright", they cannot record for me, and have directed me to the channels I need directly. Sadly, the channels aren't able to help me either as they don't archive "unedited" news footage, which is what I am after.

So, TL DR - very nice but not useful.
Old 2010-06-01 , 21:38

Kenneth:
Oh I see :-) That's a good point... I'm a forum newbie so I'm not really up on what's needed... just stumbled here looking for some info coz I'm a wee bit desperate at the moment!

I think I'm settling with buying a PVR to record 2 and watch 1 (which I will record by hook or by crook... can you hook up a VCR to the TV and record that 3rd channel? Is that how it works?). I've also discovered internet-cap-destroying Live Streaming which I'm investigating...

Tags
installation, pvr