Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > Bbc knowledge - clarkson's car years
Old 2009-01-01 , 15:22
Banned

Angry Bbc knowledge - clarkson's car years

Due to the continual unreliability of BBC K adhering to their published EPG schedule times, I set my PVR with Time-Based Recording entries for ALL of the eight episodes of 'Clarkson's Car Years' (CCY) that were scheduled for transmission today (1 Jan 2009).

This is what I preset:

09h25 to 10h40 - TBR for the first TWO episodes of Clarksons Car Years

This should have recorded the following episodes, as per the BBC K EPG schedules as @ 14h00 yesterday:

09h30 to 10h00 - Episode 1 - Supercars
10h00 to 10h30 - Episode 2 - Japan

What did we get instead of these published episodes? The i-plate displays the following entries for this first recording:

5:13 mins - Top Gear - S10/E01 -
Where the trio drive three supercars across Europe to Switzerland

30 mins - Clarkson's Car Years - S1/E1 - Supercars -
BUT WE GOT PART OF AN EPISODE OF TOP GEAR, INSTEAD OF THE SCHEDULED EPISODE!!!!

29 mins - Clarkson's Car Years - S1/E2 - Japan -
BUT WE GOT PART OF AN EPISODE OF TOP GEAR, INSTEAD OF THE SCHEDULED EPISODE!!!!

With only 30 mins left of my TBR, we FINALLY NOW GET THE START OF CLARKSON'S CAR YEARS, with Episode 2 - Japan - What happened to Episode ONE????

With 9 mins 45 secs remaining on my TBR, when the i-plate shows we SHOULD be watching Top Gear S10/E2 (their amphibious assault across the Channel in a Nissan 4x4), we are STILL seeing the tail end of Clarkson's Car years - Episode 2 instead!! This episode continued until only 5 mins 35 secs remained on my TBR - when we should ALREADY have been 5 minutes into Top Gear S10/E2!!!

This episode of Top Gear only started with 4 mins 50 secs left on the TBR.

What the heck happened to Episode ONE of Clarkson's Car Years???

Then it gets even better with the Second TBR that I set as follows:

10h25 to 11h40 - Clarkson's Car Years - Episodes 3 ((Why do People Like British Sports Cars) & Episode 4 (Who Killed the British Car Industry?)

What do we GET INSTEAD of this scheduled programming?

THE EXACT SAME episode of Top Gear (Where JC races a Range Rover Sport across fields against the British Army in a Tank and Richard hammond plays soccer with a team of Toyota Aygo's) that was on in place of the first episode of Clarkson's Car Years!!!

THIS IS JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR WHAT IS CONSTANTLY ADVERTISED AS by BBC Worldwide as being 'The planet's best television' from a 'world-renowned broadcaster'!!!!!

What pathetic excuse and platitude will be trotted out by the minions @ BBC Worldwide for this latest in a long line of continuing scheduling and programming debacles?
Old 2009-01-01 , 18:52
Changes remote batteries daily

yeah me too, just as episode 1 was about to be shown, a message appeared on screen saying "We are unable to bring you the scheduled programme" apologies blah blah

so I assumed (wrongly) that none of the clarkson shows would be broadcast, but when i turned over again, episode 5 was playing grrrr....
Old 2009-01-02 , 09:33
Banned

Default No luck either - second time around

As far as I can tell, the programme compilers at BBC Knowledge ALL appear to be suffering from a combination of the following ailments - Alziemer's, Attention Deficit Disorder and Chronic Substance Abuse - as this can be the ONLY reason for their total incompetence and continuing lack of being able to stick to their advertised schedules!

BTW, these episodes of Clarkson's Car Years ALL appear in the January 2009 DISH magazines listings for 1 January 2009 for BBC Knowledge - and as you know, DSTV continually inform us that the lead time for publication of this magazine is about SIX WEEKS or so - so in fact BBC Knowledge ALREADY KNEW AT LEAST SIX WEEKS AGO that these programmes were on their schedule for transmission on 1 January 2009!

Yet, even with this MASSIVE LEAD TIME for compiling their schedules in advance, once again BBC Knowledge failed dismally in being able to deliver their published content - and they also did NOT even have the common decency or courtesy of informing DSTV beforehand, so that the DSTV EPG listings for BBC Knowledge could have been updated accordingly beforehand, to prevent us from becoming frustrated and disappointed when, as is becoming the norm with ANY BBC-sourced channel, they fail to deliver as advertised (and published)!!!

So just what wil be the excuse from BBC Knowledge this time - were there perhaps 'screening rights issues' with countries such as Uzbekhistan or Tajikistan again?
Old 2009-01-02 , 12:38
Still gets up to change channels

Angry Get Yer Act Together MC.

I must agree with the noble lord. I would have thought that MC and it's planners would have pulled a little finger to provide an improved service over the break. After all, that is when they could expect increases in viewing figures.

But do we get it ? Not a bit of it. Continued repeats of the same tired old tat that we have watched umpteen times already, padded with self congratulatory footage of the delights to come. (Sorry, that might come, but not at the time you expect). An EPG that is as much use as a chocolate teapot, preventing recording of what you might actually want to record at the time it is actually scheduled to be on.

MC ac\tually make a barrowload of money.

Consider an audited viewing membership of around 1 Million, each paying an average of R200 per month,

R200 Million per month is enough I guess to buy in a reasonable bouqet or two of up to date and unrepeated programming, a call centre that isn't staffed by small furry creatures from the Planet Zob and an EPG that acccurately reflects what is to be broadcast.

Come on, is that too much to ask ? Apparently it is.
Old 2009-01-02 , 14:27
Banned

Default Clarksons car years - repeat screenings

I noticed that there were repeats scheduled this morning for these episodes of Clarkson's Car Years as follows:

01h00 to 01h30 - CCY - Episode 1
01h30 to 02h00 - CCY - Episode 2

Then another repeat episode of Top Gear from 02h00 to 03h00,

03h00 to 03h30 - CCY - Episode 3
03h30 to 04h00 - CCy - Episode 4

So I set TBR's on my PVR (with 5 mins before & 10 mins after) to record these repeats, in the somewhat optimistic hope that BBC K would perhaps manage to get it right second time around! Was I disappointed in this assumption?

You Bet Your Life I Was!!!

The programming that appeared on screen bore ABSOLUTELY NO CORRELATION to the published start and end times as reflected on BOTH the DSTV EPG or in the DISH magazine - in some instances an episode of CCY had already been on for about 10 minutes or so BEFORE its advertised start time - and we got 10 minutes of Risking It All at the tail end in place of the scheduled episode of CCY!

This is JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

The ENTIRE team of programme compilers & schedulers @ BBC Worldwide should be hanging their heads in collective shame at the realisation that these "BBC-branded" channels have just become a complete and utter parody and antithesis of their completely unfulfilled "fluff & nonsense" promos constantly touting themselves as being 'The Planet's BEST Television' from a 'World-Renowned Broadcaster"!!!

I doubt that even Zimbabwe TV has such a bunch of mindless, complete & utter incompetents and cretins on their payroll - they would ALL have been lynched by "Uncle Bob's" militia a long, long time ago!!!

Yet apparently it is OK for DSTV management to tolerate and put up with this abject level of continuing 'unbridled inefficiency and patheticness' from BBC Worldwide - and us as DSTV subscribers just have to put up with this shoddiness and repetition ad infinitum without getting frustrated or having to resort to venting our frustrations on these forums:

Just Pay Up and Shut Up!!!

Be grateful for what we are providing you under the guise of "Premium" content!!!!

Let's see just how soon I am banned / censored / smothered on this forum for putting DSTV Management (and BBC Worldwide Management too for that matter) under a bad light with these 'negative comments and observations' against their so-called 'world-class' service!!!

Last edited by Lord Fauntleroy; 2009-01-02 at 14:35. . Reason: Spelling & FGrammar errors!
Old 2009-01-02 , 18:17
Still gets up to change channels

MC?, any comments?
No, we're not asking. We are demanding an explanation
Old 2009-01-03 , 13:04
MultiChoice

Your comments and complaints have been forwarded to BBC and we will post feedback as soon as we receive a reply from them. Regards and best wishes for a great 2009. Anne-Marie
Old 2009-01-06 , 14:08
MultiChoice

We have had the feedback below from BBC. Regards, Anne-Marie

Apologies that some episodes of Clarkson's Car Years were not shown on 1st and 2nd January. This was due to last minute delivery issues too late to update the EPG. Viewers were informed of the change via on-screen announcements, nevertheless we apologise for this error.
Clarkson's Car Years will be shown in full weekly from 25th February at 21:30
Old 2009-01-07 , 15:49
Banned

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC AnneMarie View Post
We have had the feedback below from BBC. Regards, Anne-Marie

Apologies that some episodes of Clarkson's Car Years were not shown on 1st and 2nd January. This was due to last minute delivery issues too late to update the EPG. Viewers were informed of the change via on-screen announcements, nevertheless we apologise for this error.
Clarkson's Car Years will be shown in full weekly from 25th February at 21:30
My question to BBC K is - just what 'last-minute delivery issues' were there @ BBC Worldwide that prevented them from screening some of these episodes in the first place?

Was Santa perhaps delayed due to bad weather over the Atlantic Oceanl?

As ALL of these episodes of Clarkson's Car Years have ALREADY been screened before on BBC Prime (about a year or two ago), these episodes SHOULD have been ready-at-hand in BBC Worldwide's 'pokey little broom closet' of an archive, next to the musty old tapes of Hetty Waintrhropp Investigates, Masterchef, Pole to Pole, SAS - Are You Tough Enough? and One Foot In The Grave!!

So we get ANOTHER in an extremely long line of belated apologies (once again AFTER the fact) from 'the planet's BEST television from a WORLD-RENOWNED broadcaster'!!