Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > HD PVR > All scheduled recordings simply 'disappear' -- detailed discussion

Old 2010-02-15 , 10:01
4K, baby!

Angry All scheduled recordings simply 'disappear' -- detailed discussion

This issue is discussed elsewhere in part, as comments in other “HD PVR bug” threads. I have raised it as a separate thread here as I have taken an hour or so to provide detailed info, with supporting screen shots, plus the fact that it is such a severe issue in a PVR that it deserves separate treatment.

Would like to see similar detail from other users dedicated to this topic on this thread and comment/planned action from MC.

I Have been scheduling recordings successfully since purchase of decoder 2-weeks; schedule had never disappeared previously.

Last boot was around 36-hours prior to issue documented here and several successful recordings in interim (so a boot does not cause schedule to disappear as suggested elsewhere)

Only change prior to issue was to set “view by time” to “view by channel” in TV Guide and to schedule many more recordings which appeared fine in the schedule.

When I looked at the Playlist this morning I saw the following......
Partial recording Error 0x80004 note “recording stopped by user” -- This was not the case – we were asleep at the time! (See screen-1 &2)

Viewing the partial recording shows probable weather interruption of signal at around 22:38 last night; lots of clicks and jumps then recording stopped prematurely. (My wife said there was a storm, but I slept through it!)

Examining the “scheduled recordings” now shows three recordings, with a warning triangle, scheduled beyond their recording time. (See screen-3 &4)

All other scheduled recordings (at least 20) had simply disappeared from the list.

Note -- Was recording a non-favourite channel and favourites were selected for normal viewing at the time.

(Other quirk noticed after this issue, even after a reboot, unsure if it related but am logging it here for completeness -- I am now unable to set “favourite” or “all channels” in the normal way i.e. by “Okaying” over the appropriate box in the first screen of TV Guide then “exiting” back to normal viewing. The change of viewing environment is not stored and executed. The only way to change between environments is now to select the new environment in the first screen of the TV Guide and then “OK to Tune” on a channel in the required programme environment (i.e. Favourite or all channel). Doing this selects the required environment.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen-1.JPG (95.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg screen-2.JPG (94.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg screen-3.JPG (91.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg screen-4.JPG (100.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 2010-02-15 , 10:13
Technical Myriad

You have the latest s/w version on the HD PVR? - issue used to be uite common before upgrade in September 2009.

Are you sure the decoder did not reboot during the night? Any way ypou can verify? If you sort all the entries A-Z, after a reboot the default will in date order again.

Loss of EPG data used to also be associated with this problem.
Also when MC re-arranges channels and channel Ids - decoders tend to lose settings
Are the settings from the EPG ( EBRs) or are they TBRs set by yourself? Any of them locked?

Signal strength and quality on tuner 4?
Swop over two cable on MS and see if this does clear this issue = possible issue with one port on the MS?

Recording settings are not lost, just not visible may still be there, amd may come back when the very next one would have been triggered.

Any sign of overheating ? Are the decoders on top of each other?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2010-02-15 at 10:20. .
Old 2010-02-15 , 10:21
Changes remote batteries daily

I have had TBR's (I mostly use TBR recordings with only the odd 3-4 EPG schedules per week) disappear on my Pace in the past.
I have started locking scheduled recordings (default password = 1234) and I have not had any schedules disappear since. I think this was first suggested by Dominic.

It will also ask for this password when selecting and deleting the locked recordings from the playlist – a slight inconvenience I am happy to live with. It has also saved me from unintentionally deleting recordings in the past when I was not concentrating on which recording I am deleting!

I realize that the point is this thread is to get the problem sorted, but I have found this to be a solution in the meantime.
Old 2010-02-15 , 10:36
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

Not sure whether this is related but the last few weeks I have also had recordings not take place on Sunday nights around midnight. Last week I had 2 recordings stop at exactly midnight and last night around 23:30
Is there some sort of weekly process that gets done at that time?
Old 2010-02-15 , 10:59
It was a dark and stormy night.
(But because his installation was sound, his DStv reception was perfect.)

We had a 4 hour power outage last night and I haven't had a chance to check the status of scheduled recordings. Previously the TBRs would disappear around the beginning of the week on the UEC but almost never on the Pace.
Old 2010-02-15 , 11:00
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv G View Post
Not sure whether this is related but the last few weeks I have also had recordings not take place on Sunday nights around midnight. Last week I had 2 recordings stop at exactly midnight and last night around 23:30
Is there some sort of weekly process that gets done at that time?
I also lost a recording last night on the PACE HD PVR.
Disc HD 23H00 - 12H00 (Locked TBR, 22h50 - 12H10)

Have not tried to work out why yet, still in the list.
It is a standard daily setting, records whatever is in that timelsot regardless. Setting updated for tonight fine but Sunday recording failed.

If more of us are picking this up then it is EPG related - someone is playing around with the data streams again! , or it is a new issue to do with a change in the data structure, which the s/w does not understand.

I know my decoder did not reboot last night, as another recoding that started at 21h50 finishing at 12H10 completed, also a standing setting daily setting.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2010-02-15 at 11:07. .
Old 2010-02-15 , 11:05
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

Details on mine
Recording set for 22:57 to 23:40 - no recording took place
Recording set for 23:27 to 00:10 - recorded from 23:27 to 23:57 (no exclamation, ie showed it as a complete recording)
Old 2010-02-15 , 11:43
4K, baby!

GeoffD asked: You have the latest s/w version on the HD PVR? - issue used to be uite common before upgrade in September 2009.

Sandtonman replied: Yes, no upgrade available.

GeoffD asked: Are you sure the decoder did not reboot during the night? Any way ypou can verify? If you sort all the entries A-Z, after a reboot the default will in date order again.

Sandtonman replied: Cannot "prove" that decoder did not reboot, no indication of this. No power failure, or brownout in my apartment, I have non-related equipment monitoring this. Strongly believe this issue to be triggered by weather caused, incomplete recording with error code 0x80001, Next scheduled recording, which did not take place, was back-to-back with the incomplete recording. (screen-3)

GeoffD asked: Loss of EPG data used to also be associated with this problem.
Also when MC re-arranges channels and channel Ids - decoders tend to lose settings
Are the settings from the EPG ( EBRs) or are they TBRs set by yourself? Any of them locked?

Sandtonman replied: cannot comment on MC's actions last night. All my recordings were from EPG and not locked.

GeoffD asked: Signal strength and quality on tuner 4?
Swop over two cable on MS and see if this does clear this issue = possible issue with one port on the MS?

Sandtonman replied: 92% strength, 100% quality on tuner-4. Don't choose to swap cables at this time as incident appears a one-off & related to a specific event/cause and there is no similar related history. Don't want to introduce other variables right now by changing stuff.

GeoffD asked: Recording settings are not lost, just not visible may still be there, and may come back when the very next one would have been triggered.

Sandtonman replied: screen-3 shows first three other recordings (with triangles) that should have taken place; other "invisible" ones have also passed. New test recordings have executed successfully and the 20 plus "disappeared" have not returend. I think they are really gone, Geoff!

GeoffD asked: Any sign of overheating ? Are the decoders on top of each other?

Sandtonman replied: Good cooling, and way past the heat of the day -- almost midnight.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2010-02-15 at 11:45. . Reason: added names to comments.
Old 2010-02-15 , 12:03
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
GeoffD asked: You have the latest s/w version on the HD PVR? - issue used to be uite common before upgrade in September 2009.

Sandtonman replied: Yes, no upgrade available.

GeoffD asked: Signal strength and quality on tuner 4?

Sandtonman replied: 92% strength, 100% quality on tuner-4. Don't choose to swap cables at this time as incident appears a one-off & related to a specific event/cause and there is no similar related history. Don't want to introduce other variables right now by changing stuff.
Suggest you look at sticky giving details of what the latest s/w version should be just to be sure - the lack of an upgrade is not always suffcient to prove either way. See

Updated software now available for HD PVR (17 December)
Updated software for the HD PVR has been released today. This software has one update to DStv touch (in preparation for the launch of the SuperSport HD channel on 26 December).

To manually download the latest software, please follow the steps below :
  • Reboot the decoder. Wait for full video & audio to resume.
  • Press MENU to go to the Decoder Menu
  • Select Advanced Options
  • Enter 9949
  • Select DSD Upgrade
  • Wait for the RED button to appear, then press RED and follow the onscreen instructions.
  • Warning! Do not interrupt the download process (which could take up to 30 minutes) and wait for full video & audio to resume.
Note
If the RED button does not appear , it may be that your decoder has automatically downloaded this software. Please check the software versions (see below) and if your decoder shows different values, please try the following two options. If you are still unable to download the software, please send us the values in the fields as indicated, your contact details, installation setup and smartcard number to fieldtrials@multichoice.co.za

Option 1 : factory reset
  • Select Information Central
  • Press i
  • Press 7 (to reset all Factory Settings)
  • Wait for completion of process (you will end up on the Network Set-up screen)
  • Press BLUE to scan this network
  • Wait for scan to complete.
Try download process again. If that still doesn’t work, there is (as an absolute resort) :

Option 2 : front panel forced upgrade
  • Reset decoder
  • Wait for "DL" to be displayed
  • Press "Standby"
  • Press "Up Arrow"
  • Press "Down Arrow"
  • Press "Standby"
  • Software download should start, do not interrupt and wait for audio and video to resume.

To check if the decoder has the latest version of software :
  • Select Hardware Status
  • Take note of the value on line 6 (Appl SW). The latest version as @ 17 December is 1.14.1.148
  • Press the right arrow twice to go to the Loader Status screen
  • Take note of the value on line 3 (Load Ver/Var). The latest version as @ 17 December is 20 / 2
What is the signal strength on the other tuners, especially when a recording is taking place?

Typically the values are 98% 100% throughout for all.

At least check that the connectors are not loose.
Try locking the settings
And set a few TBRs also locked, recurring.
What you describe is typical of signal loss. EBRs by definition are all "once off" and are supposed to dissapear after the event time has passed, except for when an error occurs.

A signal loss event in the middle of a recording will terminate the recording, a signal loss before the event was started will result in no entry at all, and the settings may remain in the schedule list with the warning triangle.

Cause of signal loss: Power failure, unexpected reboot, HD decoder recordings do not re-commence as with the SD decoder, once they stop, they stay stopped.

OR bad weather.
Old 2010-02-15 , 12:42
4K, baby!

Hi GeoffD, thanks for all the info.

Cables are all tight and signals on all tuners over 92% quality typically 100% when active.

I did a "red button download" which took 1/2 hour on original install of the decoder. (UEC) 2-weeks ago
Has not offered me a red buton download since.

App SW=1.14.1.148 -- correct

!!!! load ver/var=12/2 and not the 20/2 you state should be the case !!!!

Done factory reset and blue button installation scan, successfully. "OK for new list of services" fine.

Tried reset & when DL flashing > > standby, up, down, standby -- just seemed to boot normally, no download.
Please confirm that buttons are stand alone for each button and not a combination of buttons also is an extended time press required ????

No red download upgrade available and load ver/var is still 12/2

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2010-02-15 at 12:44. . Reason: spelling fix

Tags
loss, partial recording, scheduled recordings, storm