Forum > Value Added Services > BoxOffice > Big Screen Movies I'd watch again on BoxOffice
Old 2015-02-06 , 09:45
4K, baby!

Default Big Screen Movies I'd watch again on BoxOffice

Please Don't Post any plot spoilers in this thread without covering them using the Forum spoiler feature.

BACKGROUND

MC Nic has kindly afforded us this opportunity to discuss movies, currently or recently on the BIG screen, which we would recommend to others, or which we'd likely watch again when they get to Box Office.

Apart from the simple conveniences of watching in the comfort of ones own home, being able to pause to pour a drink, or take an important call, BoxOffice is an excellent and cost effective way to watch newish movies.

Many of us also now have large wide-screen TVs and half-decent surround sound systems, so the near-theatre experience can be obtained in the home.

The big advantage that Box Office has over the BIG screen is that one can rewind a few seconds to pick up that missed bit of dialogue or innuendo that slipped quickly by, half noticed, due to the points I've noted below.
  • Movie plots have generally become increasingly complex and convoluted over the years IMHO
  • There are often intricate little plot hints in the dialogue which can be easily missed
  • Regional accents both British and American now feature very strongly in most movies and again IMHO may the dialogue harder to understand
  • Some of us are simply getting older and our hearing is deteriorating
  • All of the above
So, this thread provides us the opportunity to talk about BIG screen experiences and to make BoxOffice recommendations to other Forumites.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2015-02-06 at 10:33. .
Old 2015-02-06 , 09:59
4K, baby!

Default Interstellar

I saw this Movie in IMAX at the BFI Theatre in London just before Christmas.
It's a true Sci-Fi spectacular that has been likened to 2001.
With a running time close to 3-hours, an intermission would have not been a bad thing.
Great Cast, great acting, great story, great direction; spectacular cinematography and sound!
9/10 in my book.

I will most certainly watch it again on BoxOffice, though I fear that it will lose some of massive impact of the IMAX experience; but at least I'll be ale to have a couple of comfort breaks!

Cheers, K.
Old 2015-02-06 , 10:06
Changes remote batteries hourly

We here tend to only go to the cinema very rarely these days, but with IMAX back and some other wonders will be doing so more now. Certainly those few movie choices are things we'd like to see again and again, for which Box Office is most helpful of course.

Maybe tell us about this new premiere type Sandton cinema Keith, or I can post specific links from your original mention of it in The Lounge.
Old 2015-02-06 , 10:11
4K, baby!

Default The Imitation Game

A wonderful, yet incredibly human and sad story about the life of Alan Turing, the mathematician and code breaker who designed a machine to decipher the codes of the German "Enigma" machine in WW2.

He is credited as the father of modern computing and it is considered that, as a direct result of his work, he shortened WW2 by at least 2-years saving the lives of several millions of people in the process.

It's a must see for anyone with the remotest of interest in 20th Century history.

Seeing this movie on the big screen added nothing really over watching it on BoxOffice as it is shot 90% indoors and has no special effects.

I simply wanted to watch it early and in comfort; I saw it at Cine Prestige (Cine-8) Sandton, and would recommend this theatre for anyone prepared to pay a little extra to watch the move with home comfort levels. Cine Prestige has a private lounge, waiter service and an exceptionally comfortable movie experience. http://www.sterkinekor.com/prestige/

My rating 9/10
Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2015-02-06 at 10:14. .
Old 2015-02-06 , 10:13
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
I saw this Movie in IMAX at the BFI Theatre in London just before Christmas.
It's a true Sci-Fi spectacular that has been likened to 2001.
With a running time close to 3-hours, an intermission would have not been a bad thing.
Great Cast, great acting, great story, great direction; spectacular cinematography and sound!
9/10 in my book.

I will most certainly watch it again on BoxOffice, though I fear that it will lose some of massive impact of the IMAX experience; but at least I'll be ale to have a couple of comfort breaks!

Cheers, K.
Don't forget GREAT soundtrack.
Old 2015-02-06 , 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
BACKGROUND

MC Nic has kindly afforded us this opportunity to discuss movies, currently or recently on the BIG screen, which we would recommend to others, or which we'd likely watch again when they get to Box Office.

Apart from the simple conveniences of watching in the comfort of ones own home, being able to pause to pour a drink, or take an important call, BoxOffice is an excellent and cost effective way to watch newish movies.

Many of us also now have large wide-screen TVs and half-decent surround sound systems, so the near-theatre experience can be obtained in the home.

The big advantage that Box Office has over the BIG screen is that one can rewind a few seconds to pick up that missed bit of dialogue or innuendo that slipped quickly by, half noticed, due to the points I've noted below.
  • Movie plots have generally become increasingly complex and convoluted over the years IMHO
  • There are often intricate little plot hints in the dialogue which can be easily missed
  • Regional accents both British and American now feature very strongly in most movies and again IMHO may the dialogue harder to understand
  • Some of us are simply getting older and our hearing is deteriorating
  • All of the above
So, this thread provides us the opportunity to talk about BIG screen experiences and to make BoxOffice recommendations to other Forumites.
Sir, you should please edit with a big NO SPOILERS rule.

I tend to steer clear of discussions like this in fear of spoilers.
Old 2015-02-06 , 10:29
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankie View Post
Sir, you should please edit with a big NO SPOILERS rule.

I tend to steer clear of discussions like this in fear of spoilers.
Done, at the Very Top; excellent point! Cheers, K.
Old 2015-02-06 , 11:15
Changes remote batteries hourly

Just a reminder of how to use the Spoiler Tag:

[spoiler]Insert hidden text here[/spoiler]

The above won't work in this instance due to an adjustment I made, but normally it produces the following result;

Old 2015-02-08 , 07:27
4K, baby!

Default Jupiter Ascending -IMAX 3D. (No Spoilers).

Jupiter Ascending (The Wachowski siblings) released on Friday and we saw it last night at the (packed) IMAX, The Grove, Lynwood Road Pretoria. We'd booked a week ago and had the best seats in the house (Lovenest Seats, Row C 13, 14)*

This movie has received some pretty scathing reviews, mainly from "professional" film critics. Of course it will be compared to the Wachowskis hugely successful matrix Trilogy and cannot hold a candle the classic trilogy.

Simply put, it's a love story and a massive space romp for a newly royal, Chicago cleaning lady. Frankly, the plot is all over the place, leaping around the galaxy with breath-taking speed and frequency, through portals and with amazing flying craft.

However (like most real sci-fi fans) we thoroughly enjoyed the evening; the breath-taking IMAX 3D experience was spectacular indeed. But here's the rub, would it have held our attention, on a first viewing, in good-old HD on a 42 inch LG, even with a half-decent Tannoy 5.1 speaker system and a good bottle of wine? I'm unsure. IMHO This movie is truly a BIG screen experience.

We'll watch it again when it comes to BoxOffice, just to compare the two experiences, and to pick up on missed dialogue. But I'd recommend that any sci-fi buffs, who are considering this movie, make the effort to watch it in 3D and in IMAX, if possible.

My rating: Plot and acting 6/10 (just)
Special effects, sound, 3D production, score, IMAX presentation: 10/10
Overall: 7/10

Cheers, K.

* Rows C and D are the best positioned seats in the theatre IMHO; just far enough from the back of the cinema to get the full effect of the massive rear channel sound; and not too close as to be overwhelmed by the size of the screen and the speed of the action. Middle of the row is always best. Lovenest seats are our personal preference. -- k

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2015-02-08 at 09:04. .
Old 2015-02-08 , 16:48

I actually watch a fair number of movies on the Big Screen.

However, in answer to the title of this thread, there are none that I'd pay to watch again on BoxOffice (or any other rental service). If the movie was that good that I'm likely to watch it again, I would buy it and I do have a growing collection of Blu Ray titles. If it's not that good, then I might watch it again when enough time passes. Strangely, that coincides with when I get it for "free" as part of my premium subscription.

I see the thread has become more about good movies seen recently. I'll add some here.

Dracula Untold
The Art of the Steal
The Equalizer
The Maze Runner
Jersey Boys
Predestination
Edge of Tomorrow
Autómata
The Zero Theorem
Tokarev

I spend a lot of time on Emirates. They have a great selection of movies. You might notice my Sci-Fi and Action genre bias ;-)

As to the place to sit in the cinema. That depends a lot on the size and shape. Watched Fury in Chicago recently on a giant (curved) screen. I could sit anywhere and the middle of the cinema worked really well. For South African cinemas, I find a third to a quarter from the back are your best bet.