Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Signal strength / quality on Explora
Old 2015-06-21 , 11:16
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by faf_za View Post
Hi all,I installed my Explora today coming from a 2 Tuner HD Pvr. 80cm dish with smart LNB. Signal strength on both tuners on the HD Pvr was 98% with quality on 100%. On the Explora tuner 1 is on 89% strength with quality only 83% and tuner 3 is only 72 strength and 60% quality. I am not sure why the values are so different between the 2 decoders. Should I align my dish better for the Explora to improve the signal values?
Hi, see this post: http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php...627#post248627
Old 2015-10-18 , 14:52
Knows how to use a remote

Default Tuner 2 status on Explorer Decoder

A while back I asked about the Explorer Tuner 2 Status, but I haven't had a chance to try and sort it out until now.
From what I can pick up on a search of the forum (I can't find my message), it seems that the Tuner 2 will only show percentages during recordings.
Please can you confirm if this is still correct,as all references quoting this directly are old.
Old 2015-10-18 , 15:42

Yes, you need to start a recording before checking tuner 2. Values displayed beforehand, if any at all, seem to be inaccurate "fading ghosts" of previous recording activity.

Any further help will have to wait for others, all the best with it.

You can find you old posts by clicking on your name at the top of any one of your posts, then you get this sub menu;

Find posts.jpg
Old 2015-10-18 , 20:45

Default Tuner status

Great Thanks.
Old 2016-05-09 , 08:55
Changes remote batteries daily

The call centre staff need to be informed about the issue with singal levels on the Explora. I spent an hour sorting out my new Explora thinking it was in another country but the support staff kept hinting the issue was with my set-up.

What is really frustrating is that Tuner 1 is strength 95% quality 100% but tuner 3 is strength 60% quality 80%. I don't have issues getting catch-up but any issues and the support staff almost don't want to help unless the strength is 80%+ and Quality is 100%
Old 2016-05-09 , 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRay View Post
What is really frustrating is that Tuner 1 is strength 95% quality 100% but tuner 3 is strength 60% quality 80%. I don't have issues getting catch-up but any issues and the support staff almost don't want to help unless the strength is 80%+ and Quality is 100%
Those signals may appear good enough to you, but the Explora is more sensitive and lots of forum experience says otherwise for longer term usage, and our findings are on a parallel with what MC has posted about it before.
I have nearly 40 years of on and off experience, I am sure that the "slightly" better values suggested below make enough of a difference.

The best way to test that we regularly present Forumites recommend;
To test tuner 2 always start a recording first (recording the same channel as the one it's suggested you view live for each tuner 1 test).
Test channel 262 (vertical polarisation), and then 405 (horizontal polarisation) for tuners 1 & 2. For tuner 3 just take the readings.

Recommended:
Strength 80%+ on both horizontal & vertical polarities on tuner 1 & 2, 65 to 70%+ on tuner 3. Quality for all tuner results on 90%+, perhaps 1 or 2% less would do.

Last edited by Optimist; 2016-05-09 at 10:00. . Reason: Clarity
Old 2016-05-09 , 16:41
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Those signals may appear good enough to you, but the Explora is more sensitive and lots of forum experience says otherwise for longer term usage, and our findings are on a parallel with what MC has posted about it before.
I have nearly 40 years of on and off experience, I am sure that the "slightly" better values suggested below make enough of a difference.

The best way to test that we regularly present Forumites recommend;
To test tuner 2 always start a recording first (recording the same channel as the one it's suggested you view live for each tuner 1 test).
Test channel 262 (vertical polarisation), and then 405 (horizontal polarisation) for tuners 1 & 2. For tuner 3 just take the readings.

Recommended:
Strength 80%+ on both horizontal & vertical polarities on tuner 1 & 2, 65 to 70%+ on tuner 3. Quality for all tuner results on 90%+, perhaps 1 or 2% less would do.
Case of "Nothing has changed"
Tweaked the skew angle and altitude angle to sort out sagging. 100% quality all round. (Possibly the original installation was not as accurate as the Dualview decoder didn't need it to be as accurate in 2002.)
Old 2016-05-09 , 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRay View Post
Case of "Nothing has changed"
Tweaked the skew angle and altitude angle to sort out sagging. 100% quality all round. (Possibly the original installation was not as accurate as the Dualview decoder didn't need it to be as accurate in 2002.)
It's caught quite a few by surprise, quite a bit more sensitive a machine
Old 2016-05-09 , 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
It's caught quite a few by surprise, quite a bit more sensitive a machine
Especially the Explora in combination with the Smart LNB!
Old 2016-05-10 , 14:23

Not always so straight forward though, don't miss this interesting developments thread in the CU section: bates motel