Old 2013-02-28 , 09:58
Still listens to the wireless

Default Low signal quality but high signal strength

I have two HD PVRs installed exactly as per the Xtraview guideline in the manual. After the second installation i needed to adjust the RF Channel values as they were very close and disrupted viewing in the rest of the house. I can now view both PVRs in the whole house but i have encountered a Low Signal Quality issue.

The signal strength remains stuck on 98% but quality ranges from 49% - 69% and the finest adjustments i have made have no improvement. The slightest wind causes further disruptions and at the first sign of rain i lose the lot.

I have checked with my neighbours during the same periods and their signal remains in tact.

I'm not sure this is linked to a software upgrade issue or the channel issue or just plain hardware problem but before i call an installer, is there advice?
Old 2013-02-28 , 10:32
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie_SA View Post
I have two HD PVRs installed exactly as per the Xtraview guideline in the manual. After the second installation i needed to adjust the RF Channel values as they were very close and disrupted viewing in the rest of the house. I can now view both PVRs in the whole house but i have encountered a Low Signal Quality issue.

The signal strength remains stuck on 98% but quality ranges from 49% - 69% and the finest adjustments i have made have no improvement. The slightest wind causes further disruptions and at the first sign of rain i lose the lot.

I have checked with my neighbours during the same periods and their signal remains in tact.

I'm not sure this is linked to a software upgrade issue or the channel issue or just plain hardware problem but before i call an installer, is there advice?
What you have on your hands at the very least is a mis-aligned LNB, where the skew angle is out.

It may even mean the antenna installation is basically incorrect, optimised on a side lobe and not on the main lobe. the first side lobe on an antenna is only 3 dB below the main lobe, and thta is well within the dynamic range of the deocder, which means it will "optimise reception on thta side lobe, report a "good signal strength" and yet the Signal Quality will be well below optimum.

If you wish , sned me a PM and I will send you a process to follow to optimise the skew angle, and if thta still does not fix the problem, will also help with basic antenna positioning.

The alternative is to get an installer in to verify the pointing of the antenna uinsg a FSM.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2014-02-24 , 18:54

Hi guys,new forum member here.

I am having exactly the same issue as Frankie had,except mine came out of nowhere. I have an HD Pvr and it has been trouble free until late December '13,when my channels all started losing signal. I replaced the LNB as I had done previously with my old standard decoder,but this didn't fix the problem. In mid Jan,I had an installer come in, and he made some adjustments and was able to get me up to a 98% strength with 60-69% quality on all channels,but no higher than an occasional burst to 80% on some SD channels. This was fine until Thursday last week,when all of a sudden,it started playing up again. Thursday also signaled the first bout of bad weather we have had here in Durban since the adjustments were made. Since Thursday,I have had constant signal disruption on almost all channels,some still showing 98% strength,but sitting on 40-49% quality,others having 0% strength and quality.I cannot understand why I would have 98% strength on some channels,and 0% on others. Today has been mostly sunny,but still the problems persisted,and if anything they have worsened. I am at my wits end here,as I am on a limited income and this is my only real luxury,so I cannot afford to fork out hundreds of Rs every time to get installers out. I have made sure that there are no plants/trees buildings etc blocking the dish's LOS,but otherwise there isn't much else I could do other than ensure the dish hadn't moved.

Geoff,would you please be so kind as to send me the specs for positioning and skew angle for my location? I can't give you a GPS reading,but can give you Lat/Long co-ordinates. They are as follows :
Lat 2950'19.97"S
Long 3058'33.54"E

SO please,if anyone can help me fix this myself I would be extremely grateful.
Old 2014-02-24 , 21:49
Technical Myriad

will do the calcs for you and send them via PM.

The classic problem would seem to point to skew angle adjustemnts thta are out. It is possible to get a very good signal strength and still have zero quality with and LNB completely out of adjustment. There is another possibility however, and that is cable damage to the outer covering which in bad weather allows water to get into the cable. te signal strength may be fine, but so badly distorted thta you end up with bad quality. Check the connectors on the cables at the LNb for any signs of water. I have seen installs where when the cable is disconnected, water runs out of the end of the cable.

You may have to check the full length of the cable for signs of damage.
There is a post by Sandtonman on the forum about what he found when experiencing the same loss of signal, which was traced to cable damaged by UV.

I will also send you the DIY recipe to assist with anything you wish to try yourself.
Old 2014-02-24 , 23:13

Hi Geoff,thanks for the quick reply and the tips.

I did notice some drips of water in the cable connectors when I disconnected them this afternoon,so I gave the connections a quick squirt of Q20. I will give the exposed sections of cable a good check in the morning(Once it stops raining...) I'm hoping that I can get it sorted with the specs,as I really don't have money to blow on replacing hardware.

As an aside,do you know if its possible to get my old LNB tested anywhere? If it's still good,I'd maybe be able to sell it to help pay for any repairs.

Cheers.
Old 2014-02-25 , 07:50
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gashead26 View Post
Hi Geoff,thanks for the quick reply and the tips.

I did notice some drips of water in the cable connectors when I disconnected them this afternoon,so I gave the connections a quick squirt of Q20. I will give the exposed sections of cable a good check in the morning(Once it stops raining...) I'm hoping that I can get it sorted with the specs,as I really don't have money to blow on replacing hardware.

As an aside,do you know if its possible to get my old LNB tested anywhere? If it's still good,I'd maybe be able to sell it to help pay for any repairs.

Cheers.

The only way to check an LNB is to put it into an antenna and see if it works.

Anything else is a bit complicated to do with out suitable test equipment. No one repairs these things anymore - it is considered cheaper to repalce than repair.