Old 2012-05-23 , 15:08
Still listens to the wireless

Default Signal Strength and Quality

I stay in a complex with 48 flats and use a single view decoder.
Signal strength 58% to 60%
Signal quality 90% to 100%

My question is whether I am receiving the best possible picture as:
1. Friends who stay in a house have almost 100% and 100%
2. I would like to upgrade to view HD channels but if the picture will not improve to any significant degree, then it is not worth the cost.

I queried the Body Corporate Satellite installers who responded (rather vaguely) as follows:

The SAT System at Marlborough Park is a normal SAT IF - Multiswitch system and does Not need any special settings. Assuming your RF output is set correctly, - away from other interfering analogue signals, you should get a clear picture, - or better still, use the A/V cables, instead for a clearer TV picture.

The Decoders will work perfectly well with signal strength as low as 45% . Signals in communal complexes are generally lower due to long cable runs and signal noise caused by amplifiers. If you experience continual Pixallation or breakup on channels, you should report this to the office and they would have to place a service call. Cable connection faults, dicky decoders or other faults inside the apartment would be for your own cost.
Old 2012-05-23 , 15:12
MultiChoice

Have moved your thread to the installation section, as the Picture/Audio Quality section deals with the quality of the broadcast, not of the signal you receive on your end. The mods and forumites who participate in this section will be in a position to assist you with some technical advice.
Old 2012-05-23 , 15:38
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

With a digital picture if it deteriorates it will break up & pixelate so it will be obvious. Low signal won't make the picture unclear or snowy
Old 2012-05-24 , 09:05
Technical Myriad

That installer is lucky that I was not the one having to sign off on the installation! He would still be waiting for payment --

This is so typical of a complex distribution system installed to only "just" work.

But at the end of the day, the decsion to go for a HD PVR, is based on what you want to do and if you have invested in a HD TV or not.

The signal quality measuremnts look okay.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2012-05-24 , 13:55

So what is the point of measuring signal strength if it has no impact on the pic quality / audio ?
Old 2012-05-24 , 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
That installer is lucky that I was not the one having to sign off on the installation! He would still be waiting for payment --

This is so typical of a complex distribution system installed to only "just" work.

But at the end of the day, the decsion to go for a HD PVR, is based on what you want to do and if you have invested in a HD TV or not.

The signal quality measuremnts look okay.
Thanks Geoff. I have a full HD Sony Bravia and just really want access to full HD channels.
Old 2012-05-24 , 14:15
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjhay View Post
So what is the point of measuring signal strength if it has no impact on the pic quality / audio ?
Decoders require a minimum signal level to "lock".
Then after achieving "lock", one needs to establish the Signal to Noise ratio, or in digital terms the Eb/No, which then determines if the signal has been received without errors.

So both values are important, but it is the signal quality measurement that determine picture/sound quality above the the decoder threshold.
Old 2012-05-24 , 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Decoders require a minimum signal level to "lock".
Then after achieving "lock", one needs to establish the Signal to Noise ratio, or in digital terms the Eb/No, which then determines if the signal has been received without errors.

So both values are important, but it is the signal quality measurement that determine picture/sound quality above the the decoder threshold.
So i should be satisfied with the Signal strength 58% to 60% and Signal quality 90% to 100% or is there a way to improve ? Please note that I am technically challenged.
I suppose the best would be to find someone in the complex who has a HD PVR and see what their picture looks like.
Old 2012-05-24 , 14:25
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
So i should be satisfied with the Signal strength 58% to 60% and Signal quality 90% to 100% or is there a way to improve ? Please note that I am technically challenged.
I suppose the best would be to find someone in the complex who has a HD PVR and see what their picture looks like.
it should be and probably could be better, but if you are in a complex and rely on their installation I don't think there is much you can do, especially if the BC are not interested or can't help.
Old 2012-05-24 , 14:31
Technical Myriad

Quote:
yes preferably someone on the same floor/distance from the antenna/place where the central MUD distribution is.

Of course if your only motive to buy a HD TV is the reception of HD TV from satellite or terrestrial and not also to be able to view DVDs BR's etc then you may not be all that impressed.

Someone who installs and maintains a MUD installatuion should provide the BC with proof of what the signal levels and quality is at EVERY single access point, and that these figures are within the values a DSTV decoder will work properly.

the values "measured" and displayed by the decoder are really onli indicative and not absolute.

I would expect EVERY channel to give a quality level of 100% on the decoder display. The variation points to a possible problem in the system