Old 2010-11-16 , 19:50
Still gets up to change channels

Default hd pvr upgrade

Help been give wrong information please
i wanted to up grade to a hd pvr from a std single view decoder so i phoned dstv and enquired about the upgrade, i was told that i could have the functionality of the hd pvr to record on my existing lnb and dish. turned out i was wrongly informed bt dstv. spoke too two call centre ladies and was told the following i could have full functionality on a std lnb cable ie record and pause live TV. the other lady told me that on my existing installation ie std lnb and cable i could not record or pause live tv .well she is right i cannot record but i can pause live tv bit according to her that is impossible. but i can how is that possible?
So what are my options here? Sat cr cable does that plug into a std lnb or do i need a sat cr lnd and cable? do i put in a dual lnb and run two cables to the decoder. can i split the one existing cable with a splitter just before the decoder and will the have two cables to plug in the decoder or do just admit defeat and take the bloody thing back to dions ps what is the difference between a satcr cable and a std cable can i use sat cr cable with a std lnb any help greatly appreciated ta Harry
Old 2010-11-16 , 20:04
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satigger View Post
Help been give wrong information please
i wanted to up grade to a hd pvr from a std single view decoder so i phoned dstv and enquired about the upgrade, i was told that i could have the functionality of the hd pvr to record on my existing lnb and dish. turned out i was wrongly informed bt dstv. spoke too two call centre ladies and was told the following i could have full functionality on a std lnb cable ie record and pause live TV. the other lady told me that on my existing installation ie std lnb and cable i could not record or pause live tv .well she is right i cannot record but i can pause live tv bit according to her that is impossible. but i can how is that possible?
So what are my options here? Sat cr cable does that plug into a std lnb or do i need a sat cr lnd and cable? do i put in a dual lnb and run two cables to the decoder. can i split the one existing cable with a splitter just before the decoder and will the have two cables to plug in the decoder or do just admit defeat and take the bloody thing back to dions ps what is the difference between a satcr cable and a std cable can i use sat cr cable with a std lnb any help greatly appreciated ta Harry
You have been advised badly.

You cannot split the signal.
You either need a SatCR or a Dual LNB, a cheaper option. The HD and PVR is a worthwhile upgrade!

G
Old 2010-11-17 , 09:17
MultiChoice

True, all LNB tuners need to be fed with signal from the dish, if you have a 2P PVR you need a Twin LNB or a Sat CR LNB, if you have a 4 tuner PVR you can still use a Sat CR LNB or twin LNB with a MultiSwitch.
Old 2010-11-18 , 20:12
Still gets up to change channels

Default hd pvr

Thanks guys for the replies Just one qqquestion g walker says you cannot split the signal. sifiso from multichoice says you can use a four way splitter if you have the record 2 watch 1 pvr with either a satcr lnb or dual land are you not then splitting the signal then from 1 into 4 (satcr) or 2 into 4 (dual lnb) then you are effectively splitting the signal some input would be appreciated ps i read somewhere that channels are either vertical or horizontal polarization what does this mean and which channels are which
Thanks in advance!! Harry
Old 2010-11-18 , 20:29
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking but basically channels are both 2 polarities as you mentioned, so you generally need at least 2 inputs (dual LNB) & then you can split those into as many as you want.
A SatCR combines vertical & horizontal into 1 cable so there is no need to split at all
Old 2010-11-18 , 20:38
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satigger View Post
Thanks guys for the replies Just one qqquestion g walker says you cannot split the signal. sifiso from multichoice says you can use a four way splitter if you have the record 2 watch 1 pvr with either a satcr lnb or dual land are you not then splitting the signal then from 1 into 4 (satcr) or 2 into 4 (dual lnb) then you are effectively splitting the signal some input would be appreciated ps i read somewhere that channels are either vertical or horizontal polarization what does this mean and which channels are which
Thanks in advance!! Harry
Harry

This is a massive difference between splitting and switching.
A multiswitch needs 2 feeds, a vertical and horizontal feed which then is switched to the decoder per polarisation needed.

To split one inbound connection which can do either horizontal or vertical not both which a PVR needs

G
Old 2010-11-19 , 10:13
MultiChoice

You can split from twin LNB using a Multiswitch, not from a single LNB.