Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > HD PVR > Static on Sony plasma screen FWD-42PV1 with HD PVR

Old 2010-05-29 , 19:36
Still gets up to change channels

Default Static on Sony plasma screen FWD-42PV1 with HD PVR

I am hoping someone can help me because this issue is driving me insane.

I have a Sony Plasma FWD-42PV1. At intermittent times throughout the day and night I seem to get terrible static on the screen which looks like snow.

It is obviousely most visible during dark scenes or when changing scenes and you see a black background.

I am using a UEC HD PVR but this issue was also visible on a normal single view decoder.

I have literally tried everything including:

1. Removing all connections from the tv except either a video connection and then also trying with a dvi connector.

2. Turned off anything in the house that might be causing RF interference including lights, cordless phones, wireless internet, cell phones, alarm antenna etc etc.

3. Tried changing tv power cords and even running the tv power through a UPS in case this is power related.

4. Tried disconnecting the AMP and DVD Recorder.

5. Tried earthing the cable from the dish/lnb to the decoder and unearthing it.

All of the above made absolutely no difference.

What is strange is that last night my wife and I watched tv until late at night and there was absolutely now snow. Now today the snow was very evident during the Bulls vs Stormers S14 final on the HD channel and all other channels.

I had my HD pvr installation done yesterday and my dstv signal quality is 94% and strength is 100% so I am not sure if this could be caused by that.

I am not sure what else to try but I want to get this resolved!

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated before I shoot this tv screen.

Last edited by MC Rory; 2010-06-01 at 12:45. . Reason: Title
Old 2010-05-29 , 22:32
4K, baby!

Nicksteroonie, please let's have more details of your your config as I have below as a signature and we'll try to assist you. need more info first to be able to offer you meaningfull advice,

Also tell us the duration and frequency of this interference. i.e. It lasts for 1 second every 2-hours.
Cheers, s

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2010-05-29 at 22:41. .
Old 2010-05-29 , 22:54
Changes remote batteries hourly.

My first reaction is power or power supply of the TV. unless you used a R3000+ on line UPS, dirty power is not always cleaned out. As you mentioned it does it on both decoders. Does it happen with other devices like DVD. it could also be electro static from lights.
Old 2010-05-29 , 23:03
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
My first reaction is power or power supply of the TV. unless you used a R3000+ on line UPS, dirty power is not always cleaned out. As you mentioned it does it on both decoders. Does it happen with other devices like DVD. it could also be electro static from lights.
Knee jerk reaction is to agree fully with Gwalker; it's independent of decoders, so looks like power or an issue with the TV itself. Also "static/snow" sounds like an analogue interference. Digital interference is normally described as "Pixellation"

But let's have detail of your config as a starting point; what is connected via what? plus a better description of the duration and frequency of the interference as requested above. Particularly interested in how your decoder is connected to the TV. i.e. HDMI, composite video, RF?? direct connection or via an HT amp? ??? What's happened re the TV feed in the change between decoders , if anything?

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2010-05-29 at 23:10. .
Old 2010-05-30 , 02:03
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksteroonie View Post
I am hoping someone can help me because this issue is driving me insane.

I have a Sony Plasma FWD-42PV1. At intermittent times throughout the day and night I seem to get terrible static on the screen which looks like snow.
I know that you mentioned changing TV power cords, but are all pieces of equipment in the chain (those that have an earth) earthed properly. I seem to remember that that TV came with a European 2 pin plug (which is actually earthed along the side).

The other possibility is that your panel is getting old! :-(
Old 2010-05-30 , 08:24

Hi everyone, thank you for your excellent responses. I really appreciate the help.

If I can try to describe the the "static/noise" in more detail: it looks like little white pixels flashing all over the screen. The static is not specific to one area on the picture but all over the screen. I would describe it as a "snowy" effect on the screen.

Here is my config:

SatCR feed with single cable to UEC HD PVR, Sony FWD-42PV1 Plasma:

UEC HDPVR connected directly to tv via HDMi to DVI cable as well as a second Video cable.
LG DVD player/recorder connected directly to tv via composite cable.
Sony AMP conneced via optical to DVD player and digital cable to UEC PVR.
All power plugs are connected to a multi plug which goes via a 2.5 kva UPS to the wall plug.

To answer everyone's questions in one go:

1. The interferance appears after the tv has been on for about 10-15 mins and then is continuous. It does not disappear.

However to add more confusion, every so often it disappears completely like on Friday night!

2. The interferance seems to be on all devices: dvd's as well as pvr.

3. I was hoping the new pvr would solve this issue as I always thought it was the result of the old decoder. Unfortunately replacing my old single view with the new pvr made no difference!

4. With regards to earthing, the TV is using a standard 3 prong 'kettle cord' plug, does that mean it is earthed?

The AMP and DVD player however are using 2 prong plugs, but I have even tried unplugging these two from the power and only leaving the TV and PVR plugged and still I get the "noise/static".

5. Also tried disconnecting the UPS, same issue.

Simon: you could possibly be right about this thing getting old, it is around 4 years old now. However what I find strange is that this static comes and goes. For example on Friday night there was no static at all.

Gwalker: With regards to interferance from the lights, I believed that could be a real possibility as we have downlights with dimmer switches with transformers.

But I have driven my family nuts and literally turned off every light and device in the house and the static continues.

What I have noticed is that the static seems to clear up if you turn the tv off for a period of time and then back on again. Then after about 10-15 mins the snow re-appears.

You mentioned you think it could be a power issue. This is also a very real possibility because my two pc UPS's often kick in in my upstairs office indicating there is an issue with the current in our area (Sundowner/Honeydew). If this is the case, is there some sort of filter or something I can get besides spending another 3k on a online UPS?

Thanks everyone, here's hoping we can get to the bottom of this!
Old 2010-05-30 , 09:53
4K, baby!

Default static in the attic .......

@ nicksteroonie, can you please take a digital pic or two of what the interference 'looks like' and post it in this thread? From how you now describe it, the nature of the interference is less clear. You appear to be describing it as both pixellation and noise/static. These are different things usually with different causes. So pictures will really help.

Remember, If it transpires to be a mains related issue, then any one of the devices most likely in your rack (but possibly indeed anywhere in the house) could be causing this interference.

Also the simple absence or presence of an earth is unlikely to cause this; I't much more likely to be a bad (sparky) connection.

The logical way to go about fault finding this is to strip the system down to a bare minimum and build it up bit by bit, testing for the fault as you go along. The starting point is to disconnect all the inputs to the TV except the terrestrial aerial. Also plug the TV directly into a wall socket, not into a distribution board and disconnect all the other devices from the mains, including the UPS. Also replace the TV's "kettle" lead to eliminate it to one with a moulded SA plug already fitted.

Watch some SABC for an hour and see if the fault presents itself.

If it does, then the problem is either the TV itself or some local interference most likely due to power. Pictures will again steer us with this.

Cheers, S

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2010-05-30 at 10:06. . Reason: detail
Old 2010-05-30 , 19:37

Hi Sandtonman, thanks again for your response. I took your ideas and spent the better part of the day trying to resolve this issue.

Unfortunately I cant seem to take a decent enough pic to upload, it just doesnt come out very clearly. Will keep trying.

I have tried removing every connection to the tv except the HD PVR as your idea of a 'sparky plug' gave me a thought that one of my connections behind the wall unit could be loose.

I also replaced all the plugs on the power cords behind the wall unit, including both connections that were using a 2 prong plug.

Again, strange results. For around 3-4 hours my Plasma functioned perfectly with no snow/static at all.

Thereafter, all of a sudden out of the blue it just returned without any changes to anything in the setup. There was also no different activity in the house over this time period so this leads me to believe that no other device in the house could be causing the static.

I find this very strange, as this leads me to believe to me that it is either the tv itself that is faulty or something someone else is doing (possibly a neighbour) that is doing something that is causing the interference.

After the static appeared I turned the tv off for around 45 mins and now the static is gone again, but it is sure to appear again later!

I am willing to pay for someone to come out and check this out. Does anyone know of someone good I could call and get them to come out and figure out what is going on?

I am losing patience

Thanks once again for your advice!
Old 2010-05-30 , 20:52

Finally some examples of what I mean by the static/noise that is appearing on my tv:

Old 2010-05-30 , 21:42
4K, baby!

Hi Nicksteroonie, we really need to try to get that pic.

But from what you describe it really sounds like the TV itself; if you've double checked the power plugs, eliminated the source (same with 2 decoders and DVD player) and there's nothing strange going on in the house.

if you are in Gauteng it's quite chilly at the moment and it would take an hour or so for the TV to really warm up. many faults only occur when the device gets hot.

Also continuous interference for hours on end as you describe is not common; plus, everyone in the vicinity would be affected and moaning. It's normally spikey or bursty interference from an electric fence or a fridge motor or a thermostat or some other inductive load or heavy switching load; None of which give continuous solid interference for hours.

Any chance in taking the TV to a mates house and hooking it up for half a day on his system? Would prove it once and for all if it occurs there.
Cheers, S

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2010-05-30 at 21:49. .