Old 2010-02-09 , 19:57
Still gets up to change channels

Thumbs down Weird Recordings

Over the past couple of weeks some strange things have been happening with playback. If I set a recording for Flashforward (just as an example) and then go to the playlist Flashback is there. However, when pressing the OK or play button the movie that's been recorded is something completely different and while the banner at the top says Flashforward, the three showing underneath are not Flashforward.

The same thing has happened with Desperate Housewives and Lie To Me, all on the HD Channel.

Any ideas?
Old 2010-02-09 , 20:03
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

So you set a recording for Flash Forward & it records some random movie?
When does it say it was recorded? At the top it will have a date & time

If you tried to record Lie To Me this last Friday & got something else it because they changed their schedule
Old 2010-02-09 , 20:07

Exactly that! In the very top stripe, where you have the time, movie name and date it says Flashforward but underneath that the first recording is 2 minutes and not Flashforward, the third band has 59 minutes and is some arbitrary movie, and the third band has 10 min and another arbitrary movie.

So somewhere along the line it must be registering the name of the movie that was to be recorded because Flashforward (and Desperate Housewives and Royal Pains) appears in the top strip.
Old 2010-02-09 , 20:37

ok but what is the actual recording, is it still what you meant to record?

What happens is for example
You set a recording for Desperate Housewives for 20:30 to 21:30
Then they change the schedule 20:30 to 21:20
So now the info will show
Show before Desp H/wives - 2 mins
Desp H/Wives - 50 mins
Filler - 10 mins
Show after Desp H/Wives - 10 mins
Old 2010-02-10 , 10:01
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Over the past couple of weeks some strange things have been happening with playback. If I set a recording for Flashforward (just as an example) and then go to the playlist Flashback is there. However, when pressing the OK or play button the movie that's been recorded is something completely different and while the banner at the top says Flashforward, the three showing underneath are not Flashforward.

The same thing has happened with Desperate Housewives and Lie To Me, all on the HD Channel.

Any ideas?
(1) When you set a recording from the guide, the decoder by default adds a buffer to the start (3 min), then the actual program you want, then a buffer (10 min) at the end.

[ you can change these settings if you want to, [menu] [personalise]. The above are the default values.

If you now view the recording at a later stage, you should see three lines showing what is recorded when pressing the "i" button and displaying the "i" plate.

(1) an entry for whatever was on just before the program you wanted (duration 2-3 minutes), the decoder will somethimes lose 1 min on starting the recording.
(2) an entry for the actual show you wanted (duration the show duration)
(3) an entry for whatever came after ( duration 9 -10 minutes)

THIS WHAT YOU SHOULD SEE, BUT:

There is a bug in the s/w, that sometimes does not display what was recorded, instead it shows whatever is on "live" TV at the moment, on the channel the decoder is tuned to.

ALWAYS check the actual recording by playing it and you will find almost 100% of the time, the show you originally intended to record.

There is only one time when you will not get what you wanted, and that is if the channel re-schedules the content and replaces the show you wanted with something else.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2010-02-10 , 21:44

I understand about the buffers for before and after a recording but what does record is absolutely nothing like what it was supposed to be. Maybe MC changed the programme or showed something other than what the EPG displayed.

Another strange thing is with Flash Forward. I have two HD decoders and record quite a few of the series type programmes on both decoders so they can be viewed in two different environments, depending on when there's time to watch. The Primary Decoder will not record FlashForward. I have recorded every single episode on the primary decoder and each time it only records for 1 minute. Every recording of FlashForward on the secondary decoder works like a charm.

At first I thought it might be creating a conflict somewhere because it was the same programme, being recorded at the same time, but this problem doesn't occur on any of the other mini-series, only FlashForward.

Maybe my primary decoder is going to sleep for one minute and 17 seconds
Old 2010-02-10 , 22:05

hehe, maybe it will be working in 6 months

That is a bit weird, i assume the primary decoder normally records 2 programmes without any issues?
Old 2010-02-10 , 23:00
Technical Myriad

Quote:
I understand about the buffers for before and after a recording but what does record is absolutely nothing like what it was supposed to be. Maybe MC changed the programme or showed something other than what the EPG displayed.
You need to be more specific here, give us actual examples, programs, times, dates channel etc. How do you do these recordings? EBRs or TBRs.

Quote:
Another strange thing is with Flash Forward. I have two HD decoders and record quite a few of the series type programmes on both decoders so they can be viewed in two different environments, depending on when there's time to watch. The Primary Decoder will not record FlashForward. I have recorded every single episode on the primary decoder and each time it only records for 1 minute. Every recording of FlashForward on the secondary decoder works like a charm.
Why record the same thing on both decoders, just to see it in two different environments?

How are the decoders connected together? Can't you view the recordings via RF from one environ in the other? Can you give us an idea of your installation? types of decoder etc.

I have all the Flash forwards recorded on the Primary decoder and all are okay and complete, using a TBR setting.

Quote:
At first I thought it might be creating a conflict somewhere because it was the same programme, being recorded at the same time, but this problem doesn't occur on any of the other mini-series, only FlashForward. Maybe my primary decoder is going to sleep for one minute and 17 seconds
Not possible, you can with 2 HD decoders record exactly the same thing 4 times and it will work. There has to be something else causing what you are observing.

What two decoders do you have?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2010-02-13 , 22:19

Two Pace HD Decoders connected to one Dish with ExtraView activated.

Primary decoder is connected to Sony Bravia via HDMI in the main bedroom.

Secondary decoder connected to 1 x Sony Bravia in the office.
Sometimes the secondary decoder is connected to an HDMI splitter box which is then connected to another Sony Bravia in the lounge. I say sometimes, because the splitter box causes nothing but problems and only gets connected when there is an absolute need to watch something in the lounge.

I can record the same programme ie. The Good Wife, Desperate Housewives etc. on both decoders at the same time without any problem. It only happens on FlashFoward when it will only record 1 minute of the programme on the Primary Decoder. I have an old friend who comes over to watch these programmes if her kids hog her own basic MNet decoder (not PVR) and hardly want her sitting in the main bedroom, hence the need for two recordings.

I don't watch the programme twice, if that is what you were thinking. :-)

The way the installation was done, the only way I can view DStv on either decoder is through HDMI ie. on the TV I have to select HDMI (and whatever number). If I select TV there is nothing but snow.