Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Explora safety net
Old 2017-03-16 , 11:00
MultiChoice

There is nothing wrong with your point of view. Just important to understand that your point of view might not reflect that of all customers. So for me the lesson is to always keep an open mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2017-03-16 , 11:02
Changes remote batteries hourly

Indeed, no-one has a one and only answer. I've never claimed that, but know some do in their passion to be heard.
Old 2017-03-16 , 11:12
Technical Myriad

I agree with Optimist. The current default safety nets are just about useless. Until we get a far more stable and reliable EPG, the setting of 3 minutes and 10 minutes do not get you anywhere. Every decoder I work on, I set the defaults to 10 minutes both sides and then inform the owner of the decoder that he will now have to manage what he keeps better.

Event tracking? Gave up on that facility years ago. I actively manage my recordings and sort out my own conflicts as and when they occur. I just cannot "see" the logic behind the default conflict resolution rules. ( Note I am not talking about the Explora here, as I have no experience with its rules).

Last night is a case in point. One SABC 3 (yes I know MC has no control over the SABC EPG, but it illustrates what happens with poor EPG management).

I have a TBR set on TWO decoders for the same program starting at midnight ( why two? Because one cannot rely on even the recordings working properly on either of the two decoders, what with the number of inexplicable random reboots we get), each side. Even that was not enough to cater for the broadcast time slippage and the program still ended up missing the end of the show ...... The set times are 23:40 to 00:20. The total slippage was 30 minutes which means we ended up with 10 minutes of the end not recorded.

And yes I am probably also a sample of one.

The only answer to this debate long term is:

Get the EPG right and stable. Then you can set the safety nets as tight as you want them to be.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-03-16 at 18:22. .
Old 2017-03-16 , 11:18

In the meantime, the Explora factory defaults (I think that's 1 min. each) is certainly going to the opposite extreme, so maybe we can be met somewhere in the middle?

Thanks MC, good to see that this is receiving the serious attention it deserves and needs.
Old 2017-03-16 , 11:43
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
A survey was done and most customers actually keep their recordings for more than 6 months. So always important to not make yourself a sample size of 1.
I don't want to dispute the survey but logically there are only 185 days in six months and an Explora can record around 220 hours (110 for the Explora 2a). That would mean around 1 recording a day of an hour the average time for a series episode. Yes I have a few recordings that I have not deleted because I would like to view again in a few months time and that will likely not be repeated but in general I do around 12 recordings a week which give me around 9 weeks of recording time on my Explora 2a.
Old 2017-03-16 , 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Horn View Post
I don't want to dispute the survey but logically there are only 185 days in six months and an Explora can record around 220 hours (110 for the Explora 2a). That would mean around 1 recording a day of an hour the average time for a series episode. Yes I have a few recordings that I have not deleted because I would like to view again in a few months time and that will likely not be repeated but in general I do around 12 recordings a week which give me around 9 weeks of recording time on my Explora 2a.
I've been giving this further thought, my concept now is that most keep some recordings for more than 6 months - maybe close enough to what some of us thought before. Makes more sense, and in my example I'm hanging onto a few of the recently broadcast Bond movies for quite a while.

I have to wonder just how specific the survey was, they aren't usually that detailed. So the results may be fairly open to interpretation. Although there could be some degree more that they can determine.
Anyway, MC have shown that they're looking at this with logic.
Old 2017-03-16 , 13:58
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

With the HD 2P PVR on XV we are actually using it as a storage space for those recording we would like to hang onto. Currently a few of the Bond Movies and a few recordings from Kyknet. Being Afrikaans speaking some may find it strange that we seldom watch Kyknet. (less than an hour a week).
Old 2017-03-16 , 19:32
Still listens to the wireless

So my tests

Reset safety net defaults = 3 +10
  • New single episode recording = 3 +10 - all good
  • new series recording = 3 +10 - all good
  • delete existing series recording and request series recording again (no episodes in recorded history) = 1+1 - not good ?????
so it appears if you have ever recorded something with different safety net settings you can never change these????

doesn't make sense - MC??
Old 2017-03-16 , 19:33
Still listens to the wireless

please see my post before this - tries this it didn't work.

new series recordings (and single episodes) work fine tho''

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mpho View Post
Herewith feedback:

Please un-schedule the series recordings and reschedule again with the new (10 min) safety net settings to take effect.

Please also note that back to back recordings will not take safety net settings into consideration as the content will overlap to the next event. The recording will take effect with the next airing of the event.

Regards,
MC Mpho
Old 2017-03-16 , 20:12

@MC - I tried everything I can think of, no shortcut found for this bug.
My changed start safety net setting done yesterday has no effect when redoing a SBR for a series I stopped watching over a month ago.

Gavin, check back once in a while in case there's more added by anyone.