Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Explora safety net
Old 2017-03-15 , 11:08

Herewith feedback:

Please un-schedule the series recordings and reschedule again with the new (10 min) safety net settings to take effect.

Please also note that back to back recordings will not take safety net settings into consideration as the content will overlap to the next event. The recording will take effect with the next airing of the event.

Regards,
MC Mpho
Old 2017-03-15 , 11:21
Changes remote batteries hourly

Thanks from my side, Mpho.
And I think you meant for @GavinWood to keep us updated, @Tiddlywinks was assisting as well.

I've just done some experiments as we've never had the need or desire to alter the master settings again.

Changed my start safety net to 8 mins., then waited a bit.
Even after a reboot, none of the SBR related or EBR (EPG etc. based once-off recordings) scheduled recordings had their start safety nets altered.

Conclusion - no existing recording schedules can be changed via this master adjustment. The new changes will only affect any recordings that are setup after the master safety net settings have been changed.
So this is not a mistaken logic issue, but in my professional opinion it would be of best value for MC to view it as an oversight needing enhancement.

Tomorrow morning I will monitor further existing-SBR triggered scheduling for next week Thursday to see how that performs. If nothing further posted then it's the same findings as @Tiddlywinks.

EDIT: Note that MRs (Manual Recordings) are never affected by the safety nets, one has to include any safety margins in the times we choose to set.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-03-15 at 11:45. .
Old 2017-03-15 , 17:40
Technical Myriad

It has always been like that. Once a recording is scheduled it effectively become a TBR (MR on the Explora). Only new settings done after the change will take into account the new settings.

Update (2017-03-16): TBRs and MRs have limited editing facilities available, and one a recording has started, you have even less options to change things. On the older decoders you can:

Stop the recording.
Change the end time of the recording.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-03-16 at 10:59. .
Old 2017-03-15 , 18:15

It's more of a problem with the Exploras, one can't call them a sort of TBR (MR) afterwards as they can't truly be edited with new settings.

EBR - can only edit the name and manually individually adjust the safety nets
SBR - can only manually individually adjust the safety nets (name can be altered in Playlist after recording starts)
MR - no editing (I believe name can be altered in Playlist after recording starts, don't think I've tried it)

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-03-15 at 18:25. . Reason: More MR info
Old 2017-03-15 , 18:55

What I would do if I was MC;

Make the factory defaults for the safety nets the max 10 min., *can't do any harm (as known from many other threads, longer would be preferred by many).
Then, the finer structure is less of a problem - more detailed adjustments by the few users who do make them become less likely to be necessary, and those who still feel they need to do so are the more likely types to figure it out.

(* could do "harm" to those recording a lot, their harddrives will full up a little bit quicker.)

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-03-15 at 18:58. . Reason: spelling
Old 2017-03-16 , 09:58

I'll pass on your suggestion Optimist

Herewith more info:

Safety net changes should only be applied to newly scheduled recordings.

You can’t change the safety net of an existing series recording – editing is not available.

Event tracking will be applied which would remove the need to change the safety nets in the first place.

When changing the default setting values for the safety nets, the new safety net values will be applied to newly scheduled recordings as they are scheduled.

Last edited by MC Marietjie; 2017-03-16 at 10:01. .
Old 2017-03-16 , 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mpho View Post
I'll pass on your suggestion Optimist
Thanks Mpho

Just want to add that if a survey was done I'm sure it would be found that most don't keep lots of recordings for a very long time, so a 10 min. (or more) factory default would serve the majority of needs well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mpho View Post
Event tracking will be applied which would remove the need to change the safety nets in the first place.
Event tracking is great, but unfortunately its automatic choices aren't always what a user wants. That factor itself can't really be further automated of course.
I guess those of us who like to "fiddle" more for better control will always need the alternatives :-)

I'll leave it there, unless there's more.
Old 2017-03-16 , 10:24
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Thanks Mpho

Just want to add that if a survey was done I'm sure it would be found that most don't keep lots of recordings for a very long time, so a 10 min. (or more) factory default would serve the majority of needs well.
A survey was done and most customers actually keep their recordings for more than 6 months. So always important to not make yourself a sample size of 1.
Old 2017-03-16 , 10:51
Changes remote batteries daily

I agree that event tracking is great but it failed me on Tuesday see the thread at http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=37612
Old 2017-03-16 , 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
A survey was done and most customers actually keep their recordings for more than 6 months. So always important to not make yourself a sample size of 1.
Wow, I'm really surprised to learn this!
Apologies, but it must be remembered that we Forumites work with very little stats etc. info, so our beliefs will be wrong sometimes even though we do our best to base them on what is or seems to be understood