Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Explora safety net
Old 2017-03-14 , 20:06
Still listens to the wireless

Default Explora safety net

I noticed the other day that the safety net recording i had set 3 to min + 10 min had stopped recording and there was only 1min + min recording.

Checked settings and it refelected 1 + 1 - changed back to 3 + 10 but recordings continue to only have 1 + 1 safety recording.

Tried cancelling series recording and requesting again but it doesnt seem to help.

Any advise?

Last edited by GavinWood; 2017-03-14 at 20:22. .
Old 2017-03-14 , 20:30
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

If the safety net was 1+1 when the Record season was started. It stays that way forever. You have to delete the Series recording and start it again with 3+10 and then that will be locked in.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Old 2017-03-14 , 20:40

I think i tried that.

Cancelled series recording and for a particula program and then re requested to record season

Any other ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddlywinks View Post
If the safety net was 1+1 when the Record season was started. It stays that way forever. You have to delete the Series recording and start it again with 3+10 and then that will be locked in.

Old 2017-03-14 , 20:42

Try again it has worked for me.

Old 2017-03-14 , 20:44

I would leave the settings at 1+1. I found that changing to the 3+10 settings on the Explora results in recording conflict errors where you schedule two or more consecutive series recordings like Chicago Fire, Chicago PD and Chicago Med.
Old 2017-03-14 , 20:47

1 +1 a bit short sometimes and results in cutoffs in some programs

[ QUOTE=Jan Horn;335632]I would leave the settings at 1+1. I found that changing to the 3+10 settings on the Explora results in recording conflict errors where you schedule two or more consecutive series recordings like Chicago Fire, Chicago PD and Chicago Med.[/QUOTE]
Old 2017-03-14 , 21:31

I think this that this post by Geoff D best sett out what I was trying to say earlier on. This was a reply to a query very similar to yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
You have to appreciate a few things:

(1) The Explora decoders are only able to record ONE programme at a time.
(2) Two back-to-back recordings WILL cause the in between safety nets settings to be eliminated. (Because, unlike with the 4 tuners HD PVRs, only ONE setting can be active at any one time).
(3) Three back-to-back recordings one after the other WILL eliminate the safety net between each of the recordings, which means the "centre" recording will have no safety nets at all.
(4) The settings that are operational are the ones that were set at the time the setting was loaded into the decoder.
(5) A switch over time of about 1 minute between recordings is as good as it gets.

(6) I have found over the years, that a safety net setting of 10 minutes front and back works the best.
(7) IF there are two programmes one wants to record on the same channel THEN it is best to set a TBR (MR) instead of trying to make use of serial settings. TBRs (MRs) offer the best control of what happens even when conflicts occur with other recordings as TBRs (MRs) always take precedence over the in-built conflict resolution rules.
Old 2017-03-15 , 08:40
Changes remote batteries hourly

Us advising each other of "best" safety net times is not likely to be of much help as we all watch different channels / programs with their varying needs.
The best to recommend IMO is set the start and end to 10 minutes each for safest available results.

The problem itself - it looks to me that how it works is not being fully understood.
You can either set the changes you want in the menu which will then always affect all these recordings' safety nets in that same way. (Settings \ User Preferences \ Recordings)
Or you can alter them individually, adjusting any number of recording schedule entries in the way that suits you (for each one, as it's highlighted, in the OK button's pop up menu select "EDIT"). Unfortunately this option is sometimes reset by changes MC make, so one has to keep an eye on it.
You can't make one safety net setting separately for a whole series in advance.
Old 2017-03-15 , 09:24
Changes remote batteries hourly

Re my last sentence in the last post;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddlywinks View Post
This is something I haven't tried.

@MC - Surely changing the master user default setting in the menu should override all past settings, even those associated with SBRs (series recordings) and their future activities?
Not to do so seems like mistaken logic to me, it undermines the purpose of a master setting.
Please could you confirm / expand on the details of this here, many thanks.

Has any Forumite found value in the way this SBR factor works?
Old 2017-03-15 , 09:32

Thanks everyone for the responses you have provided.
I have also escalated to the Infield Support team and will post more feedback should they have anything further to add to the above.

Tiddlywinks, please keep us updated.

Regards,
MC Mpho