Forum > Decoders > Installation > Dstv Explora + 2 X HD's
Old 2017-03-01 , 14:55
Still gets up to change channels

Default Dstv Explora + 2 X HD's

Good day,

I have an explora as a primary decoder with a HD as an xtraview, now I want to connect another HD decoder in another room, how do i go about it, can i split the 1st HD signal cable and heart beat with a T-piece or do i have to use a SLX or amplifier?

Thank you.
Old 2017-03-01 , 15:44
Changes remote batteries hourly

Welcome @Nees :-)

You can't just split signal feeds from the dish's LNB.

First thing you need to do is explain exactly what you have in far more detail;
Type of LNB - twin, quad, Smart LNB (SLNB), or something else?
Where are the two decoders?
Where will the third decoder be specifically, for reference purposes? In other words, please mention with this factor for each decoder if it's for the lounge, bedroom 1, bedroom 2, guest room or the like.
Do any of the decoders share with other TVs, or do you want them to? If so, will you be using RF for that or somehow sharing the HDMI cabling?
Do you use a Remote Blaster or TV Link for distant remote control from anywhere, or will need to?
Please add anything else that may be of relevance.

Another way - you can consult with a professional installer when asking for a quote.

I'm not sure if I'll be assisting further. Others who do should be here within a day or two.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-03-01 at 15:59. . Reason: Added rooms detail
Old 2017-03-01 , 15:56

Also please mention if you have the original Explora or the new 2A model.
Old 2017-03-01 , 16:10

Thank you, sorry for my incomplete information, ok, so its an explora 2 as the primary decoder, i have the big dish with smart lnb, 2 cables running from it, 1 to the explora and the other to my xtra view (HD1) decoder, then the heart beat sent from the explora to HD1, now i want to add a 2nd HD to a 3rd room, the 3rd room is closer to HD1 than the dish, so instead of running the signal cable all the way from the dish, can i split the signal?, I just realized that i can use the heart beat from HD1, RF out/in correct?
Old 2017-03-01 , 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nees View Post
Thank you, sorry for my incomplete information, ok, so its an explora 2 as the primary decoder, i have the big dish with smart lnb, 2 cables running from it, 1 to the explora and the other to my xtra view (HD1) decoder, then the heart beat sent from the explora to HD1, now i want to add a 2nd HD to a 3rd room, the 3rd room is closer to HD1 than the dish, so instead of running the signal cable all the way from the dish, can i split the signal?, I just realized that i can use the heart beat from HD1, RF out/in correct?
Sure thing, and thanks to you too, that's clearer, and I'm still here so a bit more from me.

You cannot just split a LNB feed, only with special equipment (if it's a Unicable type) that isn't worth the cost in this case. A third cable needs to be put in from either another Unicable or Universal port on the LNB to HD2 (Universal is likely easiest in your case, else the User Bands settings would need further adjustment).

The HB (heartbeat) must one way or another also come directly from the primary decoder, which has to be the Explora.
It is possible for the existing HB cable to be split near the HD1 and a new leg then get fed to the HD2.
It may even be possible to use the HD1's other RF port to feed HD2, as I think you were suggesting, but I'm not certain of that as it may not then be a strong enough HB signal (or could even be stronger) - let's see what others say about it.
Cable distance could be a factor, but it doesn't sound like it.

I'm now presuming that each decoder is only uniquely for use at its own TV.

Perhaps the best next thing to do is to get the HD2 and start trying to set it up, then come back with any further questions. Practical discussion is better than theory.
But note that it's not guaranteed that someone will be here to help you further...

Hope this works out well for you :-)

EDIT: There are other methods for the HB setup, I'm giving you the simplest for your install.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-03-01 at 16:57. . Reason: Tidy up
Old 2017-03-01 , 17:01

Thanks for your feedback, yes you are correct, each decoder will have its own tv, my question is can I use a t-piece to split the cable from hd1 or will I have a loss?
Old 2017-03-01 , 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nees View Post
my question is can I use a t-piece to split the cable from hd1 or will I have a loss?
A HB (RF cable) split is normally ok, it will depend on distance which sounds possibly long from what you've said. Measure the cable's distance from the Explora to the HD1 and add the distance to HD2, if up to 20m or maybe 30m total it should be ok. RG6 cable is still best for lowest losses, and could help increase that distance.

If no good, a powered SLX splitter at the join instead would do it.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-03-01 at 17:16. .
Old 2017-03-01 , 20:16

Thanks, I would say +- 10m, so shouldn't be bad, will see where I can get the t-piece.
Old 2017-03-02 , 09:00

I am not very clued up so please excuse my ignorance, what is a multi switch used for, can i use that to maybe split the signals?
Old 2017-03-02 , 10:43
Technical Myriad

(1) You MUST run a second cable form the SLNB to the location for the 3rd decoder. It is the only way implement the three-decoder combination under one subscription using XV.

(2) With regards to HB connection, it depends on what you want to do with the RF signals from each decoder. IF you are trying to distribute RF to other viewing points, and/or you want to be able to view the other decoders from the existing locations, THEN you need a proper RF distribution setup via a SLX splitter. A Multiswitch cannot be used for this purpose.

(3) If you just want to get the HB signal from the Primary Explora 2A THEN you could this WITHOUT any RF cable distribution setup. The HB signal will be able to get to each of the decoders via the LNB cabling BUT you must get 2 diplexers installed behind each HD decoder.

(4) The alternative is to use a RF cable connection from the Primary decoder to the RF IN ports on the other decoders. A simple T-piece mightwork on the existing HB cable cable going to the existing HD decoder.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-03-03 at 10:22. .