Forum > Decoders > Installation > Vertical channels work but not horizontal
Old 2017-02-27 , 18:59
Changes remote batteries daily

channel 100 is vertical on all decoders.
Old 2017-02-28 , 08:33
Still gets up to change channels

Hi Geoff D, I played around further last night when everyone had gone to bed. The single view decoder connected to the 5-2 switch had several channels, Cartoon Network,Disney,Nat Geo- all of them vertical. It is missing some channels compared to the Explora, like Universal (not working) and some others which don't even show on the menu. So I connected the single view direct to lnb and got exactly the same channels as I had through the switch. Surely that points to lnb or dish direction problems ? My latitude/longitude is 1745'09.3"S 3107'03.3"E
Old 2017-02-28 , 08:54
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhoro View Post
My latitude/longitude is 1745'09.3"S 3107'03.3"E
Ok, so you are in Harare, Zimbabwe...
I'm sure Geoff D will continue to assist as he can, but please note that although things are largely similar when it comes to actual installations in your country, there are some vast differences between the services there and in South Africa. This quote sums it up;

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
Hi folks, you are partly correct - our Africa and South Africa businesses operate indepently of each other with its own CEOs and management team. The offering in Africa and South Africa differs not just in terms of content eg channels offered but also in terms of services (eg Catch Up and BoxOffice not available in all countries) and also technology (being able to connect Explora to the internet, etc) and installation standards.

The teams who moderate this Forum are all SA based so we are not familiar with the details of what is and what is not available in each country outside of SA. The Africa team have also decided that the way in which they prefer to provide support in their business is though Facebook pages in each of the countries, so it really is best for someone to rather get in touch with the support team in their country to get the best advice applicable to your country.

It is for this reason that we have a geographical check as a final step in registration. Unfortunately sometimes non-South Africans do slip through. It is not a question of not wanting to help - the problem is that we could just confuse matters as there is such a vast difference between SA and the rest of Africa in almost every single aspect of the business.
Old 2017-02-28 , 10:15
Technical Myriad

As already pointed out you are North of the border, and as a result MC is unlikely to offer any help on this thread. But that does not mean we cannot assist, but to do that we need to know if you previously received any channels on HOR transponders and which channels.
You might just be chasing a fault that does not exist.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-02-28 , 10:34

Ok-long story. I moved house. Existing lnb was single and had single cable. I connected it to check while we were unpacking. I had both vertical and horizontal by swopping the cable from H/L to V/L and had all channels. Then I fitted the dual lnb and still had all channels by swopping H/L and V/L. I had to buy 2 lengths of cables as the old cable was looking old and had a join.I had 3 days to the weekend and used the single cable until then so I had time to run the two cables. I believe in that time I lost horizontal(didnt check) and when I ran two new cables, I didnt get horizontal. Then I adjusted the dish, boosting the signal up to 85%/ 100 % on vertical but still 0% on horiz.
Old 2017-02-28 , 11:21
Changes remote batteries hourly

Just to remind all of us what was said in your second post;

Quote:
We did have a bad storm around the time I lost horizontal-...
And with the rest of the info you've since posted, this can now only be either the alignments related or a partially faulty twin LNB, either likely caused by the bad storm.

Back over to Geoff, I'm sure he'll have you sorted out quite soon :-)
BTW, if you need to use the forum's PM (private message) system, click on "USER CP" near the top left of the page and you'll find it all in there.
Old 2017-02-28 , 15:05

Thanks guys. I will borrow an lnb and see where that leads ! The alignement is about as good as I can get it with a signal detector, if it is wrong, I will have to trial and error it correct or get an installer
Old 2017-02-28 , 15:36

When you look from the front of the dish at the LNB, the side with the cables should be around the 4 oclock position, if it is closer to the 6 oclock position then that is the problem.

skew.jpg

Clamps need to be tight but not too tight. After skew fine alignment when it feels like a tight enough fit then about another half turn of the screw should do.
Connections should only be hand tightened.
Old 2017-03-06 , 18:33

Hi all, some feedback. Borrowed an lnb and changed it. That lnb was also faulty but I was able to get horizontal channels by swiping cables. Bought a new lnb today and have all channels. Just fitted and adjusted skew. I now have 95/ 100 on vertical and 85/56 on horizontal with all channels working. Original lnb works on vertical on both channels and faulty on horizontal on both channels. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 2017-03-07 , 08:53

Quote:
and 85/56 on horizontal with all channels working.
That is not good enough and will give you problems later, quality should be close to 90 or higher, on both.
See the last paragraph in post 2 again.