Forum > Decoders > Installation > Vertical channels work but not horizontal
Old 2017-02-27 , 14:11
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

which decoder are you connecting to and if its a single view decoder are you running the cable straight into the single view decoder by passing the switch.
Old 2017-02-27 , 14:12
Changes remote batteries hourly

@Nhoro, not impossible. As I edited into my first post, your setup could possibly have initially been jolted out of alignment by the storm's winds.

What meter are you referring to, the decoder readings or do you have a professional FSM? If it's an inexpensive signal finder, they're usually not capable enough.

But, you still need to follow our ordered processes of elimination, Geoff especially has a lot of professional experience. So please start reading the thread again and find somewhere to test the decoder, and please answer his questions.

I'll be leaving it there, all the best with it :-)
Old 2017-02-27 , 14:21
Still gets up to change channels

MC Field Service- It is an Explorer with Multiswitch. Geoff D suggested checking the install with another decoder, I have a single view decoder and will check the signal.
Old 2017-02-27 , 14:59
Technical Myriad

I would not do anything with the LNB at this stage. It looks as if it is working fine.

First check out the installation as is by disturbing none of the cabling and connections. Just us the single view decoder connected to one of the universal ports on the 5-2 switch.

Check a few channels VER and HOR and see what you get. It does not matter if the decoder is activated or not and you can ignore error messages on the screen. Tune to the channel you want and see what the signal and quality values are.

If you good quality values, you can safely eliminate the LNB as the source of your problem for now.

Unfortunately you will not be able to completely eliminate the 5-2 switch because the MS part could be working but not the circuitry feeding the SATCR ports.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-02-27 , 15:06
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhoro View Post
Thanks Optimist. I think I can borrow a dual lnb from my Father in law and swop in. I also have a couple of old single lnb's that I could try. I would assume that I test the 2 connections at the disc and connect the 19 V wire to the single lnb to check horizontal channels ? Either if those should prove lnb is working or not.

I will also check your link on skew, I am certain that my signal is better after adjustment but not certain on skew. The 0 % signal on horizontal just made me think of equipment failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhoro View Post
I am pretty sure the dish alignment is good and the skew. I started with 80 % quality and now have 100 % on vertical. Horizontal is still 0 on signal and quality. As I understand, the decoder chooses horizontal or vertical with phantom voltage ? I have checked with a signal checker and both cables have signal and Voltage is 19.6 v on horizontal cable and 11.6 v on vertical cable. That suggests that horizontal channelis damaged somewhere-lnb/switch or decoder. We did have a bad storm around the time I lost horizontal-Is the only solution to start changing lnb then switch then decoder ?
Send me a PM with your coordinates at the town where you live and I can calculate the angles for you.

The way a universal LNB works is controlled by the voltage applied to the LNB ports. The lower voltage switches the LNB to VER polarisation and 18V switches the LNB to HOR polarisation. So from that point of view everything looks in order at this stage.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-02-27 , 15:15

Thanks Geoff D- As you say, I will start with putting in a single view decoder and checking vertical and horizontal channels. If they are working then the switch and lnb are next. I would probably borrow the lnb from my father in law and check it next. Meanwhile I will see if I can find someone i know with a switch or if I can take my decoder over and plug in. thanks for your help, I will proceed with the process of elimination and post the solution when I am done.
Old 2017-02-27 , 15:25

please confirm what satellite setting did you setup the explora with in the menu.
it should be on unicable\satcr and not Smatv
Old 2017-02-27 , 15:27

if the decoder is set to Smatv you will only get the vertical channels and none of the horizontal channels , change the satellite setting back to unicable and scan
Old 2017-02-27 , 15:34

Thanks MC Field Services for your feedback. I will check when I get home. I am pretty sure the settings were all correct. I had the decoder,switch and lnb running in my previous house. The current house had a dish with an old single lnb so now I have changed across to my original lnb + Switch + decoder with brand new double cable. I did re-scan but I think left it on default settings-still worth checking I didnt do something daft, will check it is set to unicable
Old 2017-02-27 , 18:38

Connected the single view decoder and it is stuck on channel 100. It will not change channels at all. But it does have picture and sound