Forum > Decoders > Installation > Vertical channels work but not horizontal
Old 2017-02-27 , 12:03
Still gets up to change channels

Default Vertical channels work but not horizontal

Hi all, got a problem with my dstv. I lost all horizontal channels. So far I have replaced the cables and tuned the dish. Signal is 83 %quality 100% on vertical and 0 on horizontal. I swopped the two cables and still vertical is working with no horizontal. That surely means the two channels on the lnb are working ? Voltage is 19.6 v on horizontal cable and 11.6 v on vertical cable. I am thinking that either the lnb or the DSTV switch 5-2 have developed a fault but I guess it could be the decoder ? Does anyone know how to test which part is at fault ?
Old 2017-02-27 , 12:13
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhoro View Post
I swopped the two cables and still vertical is working with no horizontal. That surely means the two channels on the lnb are working ?
Both ports supply either VER or HOR, depending on what the decoder currently asks for on each port, so swapping the cables makes no difference and can't help with fault finding in this case.

A decoder or switch fault is possible, or even a LNB fault. But maybe the LNB got jolted, and you've now possibly misaligned your LNB's skew angle further and maybe the alignment of the dish itself as well.
You would need to take the decoder and switch to MC or a friend to test.

You can send a PM to Geoff D for his alignment recipe.
I don't know when he'll next be here, so maybe this thread can help a bit for now: Dish and LNB angles

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-02-27 at 12:27. . Reason: Detail & typos
Old 2017-02-27 , 12:26

I am pretty sure the dish alignment is good and the skew. I started with 80 % quality and now have 100 % on vertical. Horizontal is still 0 on signal and quality. As I understand, the decoder chooses horizontal or vertical with phantom voltage ? I have checked with a signal checker and both cables have signal and Voltage is 19.6 v on horizontal cable and 11.6 v on vertical cable. That suggests that horizontal channelis damaged somewhere-lnb/switch or decoder. We did have a bad storm around the time I lost horizontal-Is the only solution to start changing lnb then switch then decoder ?
Old 2017-02-27 , 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhoro View Post
That suggests that horizontal channelis damaged somewhere-lnb/switch or decoder. We did have a bad storm around the time I lost horizontal-Is the only solution to start changing lnb then switch then decoder ?
Possible, but not certain.
I edited in more about that and what I think you should do, else you may end up wasting money on a replaced LNB etc.
Old 2017-02-27 , 12:38
Technical Myriad

Okay, You did swop over the cables between the 5-2 switch and the LNB so it is unlikely there is anything wrong with the LNB.

The LNB voltages are okay ( very good actually).

So the next thing is to check that you have connected the cables to correct ports on the 5-2 switch. Must be connected port H/L and V/L.

Next would be to try and see what you get with an old decoder connected to universal ports on the 5-2 switch.

But the easiest would be to try and verify the decoder works either by taking it in to MC or to connect your decoder to a neighbours 5-2 switch.

If the decoder is okay then the only problem would be the 5-2 switch.

Did you do a factory reset maybe? Sure the network settings on the decoder are still correct?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) build 1607, version 14393.351
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2017-02-27 , 12:41

Thanks Optimist. I think I can borrow a dual lnb from my Father in law and swop in. I also have a couple of old single lnb's that I could try. I would assume that I test the 2 connections at the disc and connect the 19 V wire to the single lnb to check horizontal channels ? Either if those should prove lnb is working or not.

I will also check your link on skew, I am certain that my signal is better after adjustment but not certain on skew. The 0 % signal on horizontal just made me think of equipment failure.
Old 2017-02-27 , 12:44

Some of what you suggest makes sense, but suggest you take the advice given rather than keep coming up with your own other solutions.

An "improvement" on one polarisation does not mean the skew or dish alignment is correct.
Old 2017-02-27 , 12:55

Thanks Geoff D. The two cable are connected to H/L and V/L.

I will connect another decoder to the universal ports as I have one available. I can also change out the lnb as I have one available as well. Basically it looks like a process of elimination.
Old 2017-02-27 , 13:14

Thanks Geoff D. I have checked the connection to V/L and H/L.

It looks like a process of elimination as you suggest.I have a single view decoder that was connected as extraview which I will use to test. I will start here this evening.

For the lnb, can I take the old single lnb and use the 19 V cable to test horizontal ? I have a single lnb and it wont cost me anything. Otherwise I need to trek across town and get a dual lnb from my father in law.
Old 2017-02-27 , 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post

An "improvement" on one polarisation does not mean the skew or dish alignment is correct.
Can you get 100 % quality on vertical with 0 % horizontal by adjusting skew ? I used the meter to set the dish and then adjust skew for maximum signal strength and quality. I assumed that with 85 % strength and 100 % quality Vertical, I would register something on the other polarization ?