Forum > Decoders > Installation > Secondary Explora 2A Picture Snowy After Software Update
Old 2017-02-14 , 08:52
Changes remote batteries hourly

With all this now revealed I can add a bit more help, from both of us as we've been discussing it.

The cable supplying a LNB feed to decoder 2 would seem to be causing further issues, so my bet is it's the one that has been joined.

The alignment by a friend is not necessarily a bad job, if it had have been with older decoders. The newer decoders are far more sensitive.
All factors of the install will need to be checked more thoroughly. For the dish - they also need to make sure that the vertical and horizontal factors of the supporting pole are level.

Naming and shaming is not essential, but could help others in George.
I think your best bet would then be to send a PM to MC Field Services (or if unavailable to MC Marietjie) with a link to this thread - you could ask him to keep you out of it but I'm sure you'll agree that they'll guess it's you.

You could ask for further help here in getting this sorted out yourself, it may save expense if someone is willing but there's then quite a bit for you to do.
I really will have to leave it there myself.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-02-15 at 13:03. . Reason: Later change of MC PM contact
Old 2017-02-14 , 10:21
Technical Myriad

A few "Points of Order please Lady Speaker":

(1) What LNB are you using? Is it the SLNB model LMX500/501?

(2)The RF OUT distribution is not entirely clear to me. Could you confirm that all three decoders RF OUT signals are combined before distribution to the different TV sets?

Some more comments. The LNB brackets on the older antennas can be changed so that is not a good enough excuse to replace the antenna itself. A bit late but a clear indication of gross incompetence on the part of the installer. Keep that antenna, as unless it is badly rusted ( the metal brackets) it is still a better bet than the smaller antenna you now have installed.

You NEVER join cables unless there is absolutely no way out, and then you do it with connectors barrels. Any attempt to simply solder and tape the cable together should be rejected out of hand.

I will send you a PM with the alignment angles for George, which you can use to verify the antenna and especially the skew angle on the LNB.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-02-15 , 09:34
Still gets up to change channels

Hi.
Some feedback on the snowy problem.
So it turns out that Dstv call centre gave me the incorrect info regarding the TV links, even though I questioned the setting. I was told to activate all three, but this caused problems for TV 2's picture. According to the clever chap at Dstv George, (forgot his name) all three TV-links being active was pushing 24 - 36 volts through the cable, which could have damaged the splitter jobbie �� at my parents place. After hours of frustration it fortunately turned out to be a quick fix. After deactivating two of the TV- Links, everything is back to normal. Even though the primary is not directly connected to TV2 & TV3's cable, when I did disable the primary, I got a message to say that a stripe had appeared on their tv and a message saying 'buffering', so I enabled it again. I would say that decoder 2 & 3's TV-Link power was the main problem.
Unfortunately the signal strength and quality is a bit better but still very low, being 54% most of the time. I will get a quote from my installer friend about refitting the larger fibreglass dish and replacing old/damaged cables where necessary. He originally used a meter to set the signal, so he will have to bring it back for a reset.
Thank you for the input.
Old 2017-02-15 , 10:05

Regarding the Smart LNB, I cannot see the top of it where the model and spec is, but below it has an ICASA sticker with TA 2015 2357 on it. I doubt whether that helps.
Old 2017-02-15 , 11:27
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fing View Post
Regarding the Smart LNB, I cannot see the top of it where the model and spec is, but below it has an ICASA sticker with TA 2015 2357 on it. I doubt whether that helps.
How many ports on the LNB? Does the LNB look similar to this?

This is a LMX 501 SLNB with 4 ports

New_Smart_LNB_med.jpg

The LMX 500 has 6 ports and the LMX501 has 4 ports.
Old 2017-02-15 , 11:43

I only count 4 ports.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170215_11_29_25_Pro_processed.jpg (41.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 2017-02-15 , 12:20
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

I'm Back........Hello all.
That is the new LMX 501 smart Lnb
Old 2017-02-15 , 12:22
Technical Myriad

Your install first.

Okay we are getting closer to homing in on the problem. You have a LMX 501 SLNB, connected to 2 Explora 2A decoders and one HD decoder.

The LNB side of the installation should be:

1 cable from the SLNB to the LNB input on Explora 2A (TV1)
1 cable from the SLNB to the LNB input on Explora 2A (TV2)
1 cable from the SLNB to the Satellite port on the Diplexer, and 2 cables to the HD decoder, one cable on the LNB port (DC pass) and the other cable to the RF IN port on the HD decoder.

This will free up the HD decoders' RF OUT port for RF distribution to the rest of the house. The Diplexer is supposed to be marked as such and should say it is compatible with MC decoders or something to that effect. The Port used for the HB connection should not be a DC Pass port.

Here is a picture of what this diplexer is supposed to look like.

This setup assumes on of the Explora 2A's is the Primary decoder, responsible for HB generation. The other 2 decoder only receive HB and the HB signal can be received on either the RF IN port or the RF OUT port.

Now to the RF side of the decoders.

What is happening here? Are all the decoders' RF OUT signals being combined before distribution to other rooms in the home?

Or are they separate?

Only one decoder should be used to provide power for the tvLINKs, UNLESS one is using a proper SLX type splitter with 3 inputs. hence why it is important to know how the RF distribution is being done and what splitters/T-pieces are in use.

As to the picture of the SLNB --- Gut feel tells me the skew angle could do with a bit of tuning. The angle looks wrong.
Old 2017-02-15 , 12:23
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

@ Fling ,please send me a PM if you still want to report the Installer if you have not done so already.
Old 2017-02-15 , 13:10

[QUOTE=Geoff D;330990]Your install first.

Okay we are getting closer to homing in on the problem. You have a LMX 501 SLNB, connected to 2 Explora 2A decoders and one HD decoder. Correct

The LNB side of the installation should be:

1 cable from the SLNB to the LNB input on Explora 2A (TV1) Correct. SLNB to Unicable In
1 cable from the SLNB to the LNB input on Explora 2A (TV2)
Correct. SLNB to Unicable In
1 cable from the SLNB to the Satellite port on the Diplexer, and 2 cables to the HD decoder, one cable on the LNB port (DC pass) and the other cable to the RF IN port on the HD decoder. One cable from the SLNB to the RX of the Aerial King Diplexer. S1/Ant on Diplexer connected to RF In on HD Decoder. S2/Sat on Diplexer connected to the LNB In on HD Decoder.

This will free up the HD decoders' RF OUT port for RF distribution to the rest of the house. The Diplexer is supposed to be marked as such and should say it is compatible with MC decoders or something to that effect. The Port used for the HB connection should not be a DC Pass port. HD Decoder RF Out is connected to a T-piece with Secondary Explora 2A,which is connected to the cable heading to splitter, TV2 & TV3.

Here is a picture of what this diplexer is supposed to look like.

This setup assumes on of the Explora 2A's is the Primary decoder, responsible for HB generation. The other 2 decoder only receive HB and the HB signal can be received on either the RF IN port or the RF OUT port. This is possibly where the problem is. Both SLNB cables go to Unicable In on both Explora's/primary & secondary decoder's. The RF Out on the primary Explora goes to our bedroom. The RF Out on the secondary Explora goes to the T-piece connected to the HD Decoder heading off to a splitter and TV2/TV3. Both RF In's on both Explora's have nothing connected.

Now to the RF side of the decoders.

What is happening here? Are all the decoders' RF OUT signals being combined before distribution to other rooms in the home? Only the secondary Explora and HD Decoder RF Out's are connected via the T-piece

Or are they separate?

Only one decoder should be used to provide power for the tvLINKs, UNLESS one is using a proper SLX type splitter with 3 inputs. hence why it is important to know how the RF distribution is being done and what splitters/T-pieces are in use. Only the secondary Explora is providing power on the TV-Link. I don't know what splitter is being used, but it was part of the previous SD PVR feed to TV2 & TV3.

As to the picture of the SLNB --- Gut feel tells me the skew angle could do with a bit of tuning. The angle looks wrong.[/

I have attached a pic of the dish taken from below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170215_12_29_09_Pro_processed.jpg (199.5 KB, 6 views)