Forum > Decoders > Installation > Secondary Explora 2A Picture Snowy After Software Update
Old 2017-02-13 , 21:50
Still gets up to change channels

Default Secondary Explora 2A Picture Snowy After Software Update

Hi.
My TV1 is an Explora 2A
My TV2 is an Explora 2A
My TV3 is a HD Decoder
They are all connected to a SmartLNB and are located at the primary TV1, with TV2 & TV3 (Diplexer) running through aerial cable, two T-pieces & using TV-Links. Each decoder has a dedicated remote in separate locations. The upgrade to the Explora's and HD Decoder were done in December 2016.

This morning when I saw my decoders, I noticed that the secondary Explora 2 was stuck on 'Load'. When I checked it, it showed a welcome to installation wizard and wanted me to select a language. I called Dstv and we loaded everything. After around 5-6 lengthy calls, we reset decoder remotes, frequency settings, etc. we still have a snowy picture on TV2.
As the 2 Explora's are connected to my TV with HDMI cables, the quality is excellent on my TV the pic is clear, but TV2 is still bad.
After about R100 worth of phone calls to Dstv, I am in the same place. Both Explora's factory reset and settings changed, but the secondary Explora picture is still snowy. Strangely TV2 & TV3 can pick up each other's signal, with both having great pic for decoder 3, but both snowy for decoder 2. When I accidentally knocked the 3rd decoder's plug out, the secondary decoder's picture improved, until I plugged in the 3rd decoder again.
What I have noticed is that decoder 2's signal strength is suddenly only at 52-54%, with decoder 1's strength fluctuating between the 60's & 80's. I had better signal before the problem, after having my signal set professionally by an installer and can only assume that the problem came after the software upgrade.
Any advice or solutions welcome.
Old 2017-02-13 , 22:02
Changes remote batteries hourly

Thanks for all the detail, but it's still not completely clear which decoder is where and which TVs use which decoder's RF feeds. Perhaps doing it in a list would help.

The diplexers are not needed for any Explora 2A as they have one built in, only needed for the 4136 HD Decoder. Removing those not needed may improve RF quality.

From your description it sounds like a possible RF clash - more than one decoder using the same RF channel, or too close on the band, or one causing harmonic disturbance on another.
This could be due to all the fiddling with different call centre agents. Try changing the RF channel on one decoder at a time (and then on the TVs of course) to see what can be done.

As for the loss of signal, quite a worry. Maybe someone else here is prepared to go into all the complexities with you further, but calling back your installer now may be the best advice.
Old 2017-02-13 , 22:08

Another possibility (maybe more so) is that the RF channel number that worked well before was a far lower number - the lower it is the better the quality (if interference free) for carrying over distance.

Doubt I could assist further.
Old 2017-02-13 , 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Thanks for all the detail, but it's still not completely clear which decoder is where and which TVs use which decoder's RF feeds. Perhaps doing it in a list would help.
All 3 decoders are in my lounge by my TV. All decoders receive fess from the SmartLNB with only the 3rd (HD Decoder) having the diplexer. An installer that checked the installation wondered why I had the diplexer due to the close location to the dish. Decoder 2&3 are connected via a 40m - 50m cable with a T-piece behind the decoders that both come from the RF-Out's of decoders 2&3. The cable runs to my parents place and split via a second T-piece to the 2nd TV in their lounge and the 3rd TV in my mom's room. Both have separate remotes using separate TV-Links
The diplexers are not needed for any Explora 2A as they have one built in, only needed for the 4136 HD Decoder. Removing those not needed may improve RF quality.

From your description it sounds like a possible RF clash - more than one decoder using the same RF channel, or too close on the band, or one causing harmonic disturbance on another.
This could be due to all the fiddling with different call centre agents. Try changing the RF channel on one decoder at a time (and then on the TVs of course) to see what can be done.I would appreciate it if someone who knows could give me the correct numbers for the frequencies as the way I was advised by Dstv is weird. That said, the lady had to give me a few options as the decoder wouldn't scan with the first frequency attempts.

As for the loss of signal, quite a worry. Maybe someone else here is prepared to go into all the complexities with you further, but calling back your installer now may be the best advice. The kid that did the installation caused problems and lied to his boss, making us out to be the liars. They refused to give us the dishes that we were supposed to get as they said that the installation vouchers did not cover their work, even though it was an existing installation and cables were already in place. Calling them back is not an option, considering the boss called my 76 year old father an idiot after believing the lies of his installer. We should have reported them, but they are not worth the conflict.
Hope this explains a bit more.
Old 2017-02-13 , 23:15

All 3 decoders are in my lounge by my TV. All decoders receive fess from the SmartLNB with only the 3rd (HD Decoder) having the diplexer. An installer that checked the installation wondered why I had the diplexer due to the close location to the dish. Decoder 2&3 are connected via a 40m - 50m cable with a T-piece behind the decoders that both come from the RF-Out's of decoders 2&3. The cable runs to my parents place and split via a second T-piece to the 2nd TV in their lounge and the 3rd TV in my mom's room. Both have separate remotes using separate TV-Links

Ok, that's much clearer, thanks.
Indeed, not sure why the heartbeat is being done that way either... unnecessary and can complicate RF use. But never mind at this stage, let's keep this simple enough.

I would appreciate it if someone who knows could give me the correct numbers for the frequencies as the way I was advised by Dstv is weird. That said, the lady had to give me a few options as the decoder wouldn't scan with the first frequency attempts.

No, I'm sure that's the user bands she's referring to. I'm talking about the RF channel numbers, absolutely not related.
I'll leave that consideration (which can be affecting what your signals are doing) alone, let's first get the whole issue on track in the next paragraph.

The kid that did the installation caused problems and lied to his boss, making us out to be the liars. They refused to give us the dishes that we were supposed to get as they said that the installation vouchers did not cover their work, even though it was an existing installation and cables were already in place. Calling them back is not an option, considering the boss called my 76 year old father an idiot after believing the lies of his installer. We should have reported them, but they are not worth the conflict.

Sorry to hear that. If an MC accredited company I would report their name here so MC can step in and get this sorted out.

The bottom line - it sounds like the install may never have been done properly. Certainly a software update shouldn't ever be capable of affecting signal values, and nobody else has reported that with the recent updates. If anything, poor or interfered with signals can mess up an update from being delivered properly, which may be why you've had such odd resetting behaviour from it.

This is not something really for the forum IMO, it looks like it needs major work. If MC can't assist you may just have to find a better installer.
But as I say someone may be willing, so if still wanting to go this route instead of through a new competent (or later disciplined) installer keep an eye on your thread for a few days.
All the best with it :-)
Old 2017-02-13 , 23:43

For interest sakes, these are the Home Network Settings:
Primary Explora 2A Decoder - TV1
LNB Type = UnicableTM/SatCR
Satellite = IS20
User Band Tuner Frequency = 1210
User Band Tuner 2 Frequency = 1420
User Band Tuner 3 Frequency = 1680
User Band Tuner Index = 0
User Band Tuner 2 Index = 1
User Band Tuner 3 Index = 2

Secondary Explora 2A Decoder - TV2
Satellite = IS20
User Band Tuner Frequency = 2040
User Band Tuner 2 Frequency = 1006
User Band Tuner Index = 3
User Band Tuner 2 Index = 4

Third HD Model 45 Decoder - TV3
Satellite = IS20
User Band Tuner Frequency = 1108
User Band Tuner Index = 6
Old 2017-02-14 , 00:14
Changes remote batteries daily

Those network settings are ok. Some might suggest putting the HD decoder on Index 5 with frequency 1057.

One thing which can cause problems:- you need to set all the indexes before setting the frequencies.

You have not said What the signal quality is on the decoders. for tuner 1 check on channel 262 and then on 405. tuner 3 should stay the same. ignore tuner 2.

That is all I can add.
Old 2017-02-14 , 00:56

Okay. I changed the settings as found on this forum.
Primary Explora 2A Decoder - TV1
Satellite = IS20
User Band Tuner Frequency = 1210
User Band Tuner 2 Frequency = 1420
User Band Tuner Index = 0
User Band Tuner 2 Index = 1

Secondary Explora 2A Decoder - TV2
Satellite = IS20
User Band Tuner Frequency = 2040
User Band Tuner 2 Frequency = 1006
User Band Tuner 3 Frequency = 1057
User Band Tuner Index = 3
User Band Tuner 2 Index = 4
User Band Tuner 3 Index = 5

Third HD Model 45 Decoder - TV3
Satellite = IS20
User Band Tuner Frequency = 1108
User Band Tuner Index = 6

As requested, the signal strength and quality for channels 262 & 405

Decoder 1
Channel 262
Tuner 1 Signal = 83% ~ Quality = 95%
Tuner 3 Signal = 67% ~ Quality = 66%
Channel 405
Tuner 1 Signal = 81% ~ Quality = 98%
Tuner 3 Signal = 67% ~ Quality = 66%

Decoder 2
Channel 262
Tuner 1 Signal = 54% ~ Quality = 95%
Tuner 3 Signal = 71% ~ Quality = 68%
Channel 405
Tuner 1 Signal = 54% ~ Quality = 98%
Tuner 3 Signal = 70% ~ Quality = 68%

Decoder 3
Channel 262
Tuner 1 Signal = 81% ~ Quality = 98%
Channel 405
Tuner 1 Signal = 81% ~ Quality = 99%

Last edited by Fing; 2017-02-14 at 07:56. .
Old 2017-02-14 , 01:24
Changes remote batteries daily

Better to now leave those settings alone for consistency, they should be fine.

On those channels tuner 1 quality should easily be 100% on all decoders. tuner 3 is far too low with strength and quality.
I would guess LNB alignment, maybe the dish as well.

The difference between the two decoders is strange. Maybe worn cables, maybe connections now bad which should only have been hand tightened.

How are the readings on the HD decoder?
Your last answer will help others to help you further but I also think your install is not in good condition..

Last edited by cdbjhb; 2017-02-14 at 01:27. .
Old 2017-02-14 , 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbjhb View Post
Better to now leave those settings alone for consistency, they should be fine.

On those channels tuner 1 quality should easily be 100% on all decoders. tuner 3 is far too low with strength and quality.
I would guess LNB alignment, maybe the dish as well.

The difference between the two decoders is strange. Maybe worn cables, maybe connections now bad which should only have been hand tightened.

How are the readings on the HD decoder?
Your last answer will help others to help you further but I also think your install is not in good condition..
I edited the previous post with the HD Decoder readings.

I've no doubt that it was a bad installation, considering my old but far larger fibreglass dish was removed due to the kid stripping the old LNB bolts and breaking the bracket, resulting in a smaller steel dish being fitted. He also drilled through an existing cable while trying to fit the third cable. A new piece of cable was joined in the roof to the existing old cable. The kid refused to glue the new third cable down from the roof down to the decoder as they would only do this with paid installations, and not voucher installations. When I asked him to have his boss come around regarding the second dish that we were supposed to receive but never did, (to be used later a later granny flat) suddenly he half-heartedly glued the cable from below the big black cable-tie he had used to where it would be visible to his boss. He never bothered to remove the glue or bothered to apologise for messing glue all over my floor or large Kenwood speaker cover.
Unfortunately they were recommended by Dstv in George as one of only two accredited installer's in George, with Potty's, the other accredited installer apparently being full about 3 months ahead. I later found out that this was not true, but obviously commissions paid must cancel out bad workmanship. Unfortunately 'Naming & Shaming' can get me into trouble, but I will gladly PM anyone enquiring about them.

That vented - I mean said, the dish alignment was done by a none accredited installer friend of mine about a week after the installation.