Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > I-Plate Funnies
Old 2017-02-14 , 11:39
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
Also have this occasionally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD View Post
Don't think its got anything to do with the hard drive. Mine has been doing it for as long as I can remember. When you change channels the proper time at program are listed for a second or so. Then the iPlate randomly changes to something different. Mostly the same channel just a much earlier time but I have also seen a different channel and time. Bit frustrating but learnt to live with it.
The "i-plate" issue is a different one, very dependent on how the decoders are set to respond to remote commands. Jumping around in the buffer is related to what is going on, on the HDD.

The I-plate info is sent to the decoder with the channel info and is not part of the EPG download. the I plate gets updated all the time when compared to the EPG.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-02-14 , 16:50
Still gets up to change channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
So when you mention playback - do you only get this when you are in playback?
No, I haven't seen it happen during playback. It happens when channel hopping live tv. There are two scenarios that I've seen.
One is as described by other posters, quick display of the live info, then the i-plate info switches to displaying data from earlier in the day, then switches back to the correct data (sometimes. At other times the i-plate closes while still displaying the 'old' data). eg. Changing at 20:05 shows channel data from 02:43 (or 03:47 or 12:19 etc.).

The second one I've seen is where the i-plate shows data from earlier in the playback buffer, e.g. bar 1 shows 0min, bar 2 and 3 shows 1m (all with the little left arrow between the time and program description). It then jumps back to displaying live tv data in the i-plate. This is the one that happens to me the most frequent and is the one that I solve with a quick clearing of the buffer.

Possibly related to how I channel surf, lots of:
P+, read the i-plate before it disappears, see nothing interesting coming up, P+, read the i-plate before it disappears, hit the grid button, jump over a few channels, press ok to tune to an interesting channel, watch for a few minutes, then P+ and so on and so on to the point where my status bar usually resembles the mouth of a great white shark, lots of jagged little white lines in a sea of blue....

It happens reasonably often enough that I'm sure I could record a short video of it.
Old 2017-02-14 , 16:55
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbw View Post
I get this regularly. It appears to be hopping to some random point in the playback history, then (sometimes) hops back to 'now'. The only way I've managed to stop it is to put the decoder quickly into and out of standby (clears the playback buffer). Stops it for a brief while....
In and out of STBY clears the playback buffer?

The EPG is a much better way to "see what is on at the moment". The processor in these decoders is not all that hot BTW! And what you are doing is pushing your luck.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-02-14 at 16:57. .
Old 2017-02-14 , 17:25

Quote:
It happens reasonably often enough that I'm sure I could record a short video of it.
That wasn't too hard.
Watch the i-plate as the channel changes from 183 to 186.
First it displays the correct data, then flashes something from the buffer (very quickly), then jumps into the future (or the past, who can tell) and displays data from 20:45 until the i-plate closes.

Sorry about the video quality etc. Videography is not my forte...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
In and out of STBY clears the playback buffer?
Yup, provided I'm using the correct terminology.
Attached Files
File Type: wmv 20170214-dstv-i-plate-hopping-640x480.wmv (6.16 MB, 11 views)
Old 2017-02-14 , 17:59
MultiChoice

So a quick non-technical explanation of the iPlate - line 1 and 2 comes in with live TV. Line 3 onwards is stored on your decoder with your TV Guide. So this could point to issues with a tuner - you sure all ok with signal strengths and quality? Is your Cath Up and BoxOffice delivering as it should?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2017-02-14 , 19:12
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
So a quick non-technical explanation of the iPlate - line 1 and 2 comes in with live TV. Line 3 onwards is stored on your decoder with your TV Guide. So this could point to issues with a tuner - you sure all ok with signal strengths and quality? Is your Cath Up and BoxOffice delivering as it should?

It does it with line 1, 2 and 3 on my Explora. My mothers Explora 2 doesn't do it and my HD Decoder is also fine.

Signal strength is on average at 99% and signal quality on average 98%.

Full new installation with SmartLNB and 85cm dish.
Old 2017-02-15 , 08:16
MultiChoice

Can you also post a pic or video like @linoman did? Then I can pass that to the techies.

Old 2017-02-15 , 13:46

Quote:
So this could point to issues with a tuner - you sure all ok with signal strengths and quality? Is your Cath Up and BoxOffice delivering as it should?
I think so, but strength could be better. Strength is between 71/85% with quality at 100% across all 3 tuners (checked t2 while recording). The only odd thing I've noticed with the quality is that t1 drops to 55/60% when I'm on a couple of the BBC channels. Visually it's rock solid as there's no picture break up or anything, in fact I hadn't noticed it until last night when you suggested checking the signal and I happened to be on BBC Brit at the time. Different transponder maybe?

Don't use boxoffice, but shows some 30 odd titles available and VOD lists 150+ for catch up, so I guess tuner 3 is fine.
Old 2017-02-15 , 13:56
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Different transponder maybe?
Yes, but the main difference may very well be between Vertically and Horizontally polarised transponders. That's usually the LNB skew angle being off.
60% quality is far too low, under any circumstances, it needs to be closer to 90%+. That will cause future problems, if not already.

If you want DIY help with it then you can start a new thread in the Installation section, with the results of testing channels 262 & 405. But you would probably end up needing to send a PM to Geoff D anyway for his alignment recipe.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-02-15 at 13:59. . Reason: Detail
Old 2017-02-16 , 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Yes, but the main difference may very well be between Vertically and Horizontally polarised transponders.
I thought that at the time, but saw 100% on other horizontals. Took a pic last night of BBC Brit at 60% and then two channels further on, Comedy Central at 100%, both horizontal.

All a bit bizarre really, but otherwise no noticeable visual problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
If you want DIY help with it then you can start a new thread in the Installation section, with the results of testing channels 262 & 405. But you would probably end up needing to send a PM to Geoff D anyway for his alignment recipe.
Appreciate the offer, but my install is now about a year old and apart from the blank screen issues recently fixed by the sw update in Jan, I've had no real problems to speak of, so I'm heavily reluctant to attempt to 'fix' what isn't broken...