Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Updates to our SD PVR trade-in offers
Old 2017-01-20 , 12:03
MultiChoice

Default Updates to our SD PVR trade-in offers

Hi Guys
We're making it even easier to trade-in your SD PVR!

Trade-in your SD PVR for the new DStv Explora 2
Old price R999
New price R799 (that's a saving of R700 off the recommended retail price)

Trade-in your SD PVR for the new DStv Explora 2 PLUS installation with a DStv Smart LNB and 80cm dish
Old price R1499
New price R999 (that's a saving of R1500 off the recommended retail price)

The other offer remains unchanged...

Trade-in your SD PVR for the new DStv Explora 2 plus a DStv HD Decoder plus installation with a DStv Smart LNB and 80cm dish
Price R1999

Please visit this page for more info
Old 2017-01-23 , 22:23
Still listens to the wireless

Default SD trade in

Hi, till when is this new trade in offers available?
Old 2017-01-24 , 10:12
MultiChoice

Hi, there are no end dates for any of these offers. Any queries at all - just let us know.
Old 2017-01-24 , 19:36
Changes remote batteries daily

The last offer including the HD decoder for R1999 confuses me. It's cheaper to do the R999 deal and then purchase an HD decoder with installation voucher?
Look what they made, they made it for me, happy technology.
Old 2017-02-14 , 13:01

My current SD PVR is now rebooting multiple times every hour, I expect due to some software mess up to get as many of us off the SD PVR as possible.
I pay a year in advance, including the decoder care contract.
I can swap it out for a new Explora 2...but that gets me one viewing environment. So a step backwards. I need 2...that is not negotiable.
They are also going to only connect it to one tv...I have it feeding 6 TV's...so I have to pay for the considerable installation costs?
I can buy an extra HD decoder, but that is going to cost me R2000 with the dish and installation, but again...that won't feed all the TV's..and will cost me plus extra installation.
And I need the PVR functionality on 2 channels.
Which means I have no option but to get 2 x Exploras.
So huge additional cost, huge installation cost and that is to get where I am now...2 viewing environments, with pvr functionality on both.

So what do you suggest that will get me where I am now, without getting nailed by an installer for a complicated installation, and having to pay a fortune for another decoder and hardware?

All I want is what I have now.
Otherwise, seems to me it is easier to cancel, claim my 9 months pre-payment back, and use that money to set up some form of streaming setup suing Wi-Fi, and cancel DSTV since I don't watch sport anyways, and everything else is available elsewhere.

Irritates me that I am expected to pay a fortune to get right back where I am now, and can't even use the SD PVR with the Explora since it is malfunctioning thanks to them never leaving the software alone.

Don't care about new Explora advantages or HD etc etc etc. Just want 2 channels, with PVR functionality on both...available on all the TV's in the house as I do now..and shouldn't be expected to pay thousands to get there. Why did I bother pre-paying for a year.
Old 2017-02-14 , 13:03
MultiChoice

Hi Nihonto, please will you pop me your email address via DM
Old 2017-02-14 , 13:36
Changes remote batteries hourly

Maybe MC will be able to help you troubleshoot, that's certainly not happening on all SD PVRs and there are many on the forum with an Explora combined with it who don't have serious problems.
The issue is possibly that the SD PVR is old now technically speaking so they will have started to play up.

An inexpensive solution for you may be to try find two second-hand HD PVR 2P decoders. (The 2U option is more outdated now as well so not something I recommend.)
As we all know the second-hand market has its risks, but I've bought quite a few decoders that way, been ok for me.
Old 2017-02-14 , 15:42

Optimist...that would require me to outlay cash for TWO more decoders, PLUS installation, and again...only get me where I am now. And makes use of none of the trade in options and leaves me with a useless SD PVR.

I do not believe it is hardware on my side. Signal strength varies a little, but no more than it always has. No trees, no connection problems, no change of angle, and reboots anytime, not even when doing anything. Also takes about 10 minutes to reboot, and usually requires more than one reboot.

As I said, I pre-pay for a year, but at this rate I am not going to use that year. There are only about 3 or 4 channels we watch anymore, and USB is looking like a better option except for the hassle of not having it on all the tv's when changing rooms.

Anyways...email sent to Brenda. Let's try some fault finding, which would only solve the problem until they make the SD PVR completely unuseable.

I've read about the licensing issues and other reasons why they say they can't do it, but frankly I do not buy that story why they can't bring out a 2 environment HD PVR decoder.
Old 2017-02-14 , 16:37
Technical Myriad

Well if you want to follow the fault finding route, then post the detail:

(1) Antenna size, LNB type and MS type and model.
(2) Signal strengths and quality values on at least one VER and one HOR channel. (Optimist will suggest the right ones).
(3) Number of transponders picked up by the SD PVR on a reboot.
(4) HDD fill.
(5) Have you ever checked to see if the internal fan in the SD PVR is still running at the right speed?
(6) Have you had or cleaned out the SD PVR at any stage?

The most common problem leading intermittent performance is overheating caused by a failure of the internal fan.

Easy to replace yourself with a better one with the same power spec and form factor.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-02-14 , 17:40
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
(2) Signal strengths and quality values on at least one VER and one HOR channel. (Optimist will suggest the right ones).
You could test Channels 262 & 405 which help us to understand any issues.
If you do I suggest a new thread in the Installations forum section.