Forum > Decoders > Installation > 3 Decoder Xtraview?
Old 2017-01-08 , 09:06
Changes remote batteries hourly

My answers again in blue.
Your installer should be able to advise, but this will help you at least have an idea about what is being done.
Please note that my time is currently limited so not sure how much I can assist further if wanted, I think more of the others with tech knowledge are expected back next week or the next :-)

Just so I am on the same page, is the below basic setup the way the 3 way Xtraview works?

BASIC SETUP

- Dish with Smart LNB
- Unicable 1 to Explora 1
- Unicable 2 to Explora 2
- Unicable 3 to Explora 3*
* (Will also need to output content from one of the Explora's to a separate environment via RF cable, as stated above)
Correct, although which decoder gets which feed makes no difference.

1. Does the primary decoder need to be in the Unicable 1 slot?
No

2. I take it that the heartbeat is done at the SLNB so there is no need for the HB cables linking the three decoders?
Correct. However your original Explora will need to have a diplexer fitted for heartbeat (H/B) via SLNB which the installer should supply. The two new Exploras will probably be the new 2A model, they don't require diplexers.

3. Is the Unicable different to the other cable that connects to the decoder? (If I do a DIY setup, will I need to buy a different type of cable + different connectors for the unicable connection?)
Same RG6U cable, same connectors.

4. What is the max distance that the unicable can be used at? My furthest decoder will probably be +-45m away from the dish when running the cable in the ceiling, etc.
Here you have a problem;

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Field Services View Post
...just remember make the explora 2a primary if using diplexers and stay within 20m on each leg to the slnb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Field Services View Post
it will work up to max 30m when explora 2a is primary. I just prefer to keep the standard of 20m . make sure explora 2a is primary...
The solution is likely to be to connect just that decoder's H/B conventionally via a RF port to a RF port on the primary, which would then require the extra cable for that connection.
Such a distance for a H/B cable is usually ok, but suggest you still use the higher quality RG6U to further ensure this.
I believe that 45m will be ok for the basic function of receiving the satellite signals from the SLNB, but I can't confirm.

==================================================
ADD-ON TO THE ABOVE BASIC SETUP

If the above setup is correct, I would also need to have one of the decoders out put its channel to a separate location via RF signal (as well as its HDMI signal to the TV where it is located), and have a TV eye to change the channels in the new location.

Would doing the above simply mean connecting a cable from the Explora to the RF port on the required TV, connecting the TV Eye to the cable, and activating the TV Link on the Explora decoder in order for the TV Eye to work?
Correct. If the decoder concerned is one of the ones which will be using an RF port for the extra needed H/B cable then that H/B connection should use the RF In port so that the TV with the TV Link can use the RF Out port.
The only complication would be if you have a terrestrial antenna that needs to feed into that RF In (but not difficult to sort out). It doesn't sound like that's a factor.

Lower RF channel numbers work best for signal quality, if not receiving any interference of course. Make sure both the decoder and the TV are set for the "PAL I" standard.

I Hope my above explanations are understandable, if not, please ask and I will clarify.

Thank you for reading.

Glad to help.

Note that each Explora's Home Network settings will need to be set so that each of their tuner 1 and 2 userband indexes and corresponding frequencies are different. Tuner 3 is often shared which is fine. The one user manual booklet gives details of this and the correct frequencies. For changes required all Indexes should be set first, then frequencies, to ensure that the decoders save the settings properly.

All the best with it.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-01-08 at 10:04. . Reason: Tidy up
Old 2017-02-20 , 15:28
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
My answers again in blue.
Your installer should be able to advise, but this will help you at least have an idea about what is being done.
Please note that my time is currently limited so not sure how much I can assist further if wanted, I think more of the others with tech knowledge are expected back next week or the next :-)

Just so I am on the same page, is the below basic setup the way the 3 way Xtraview works?

BASIC SETUP

- Dish with Smart LNB
- Unicable 1 to Explora 1
- Unicable 2 to Explora 2
- Unicable 3 to Explora 3*
* (Will also need to output content from one of the Explora's to a separate environment via RF cable, as stated above)
Correct, although which decoder gets which feed makes no difference.

1. Does the primary decoder need to be in the Unicable 1 slot?
No

2. I take it that the heartbeat is done at the SLNB so there is no need for the HB cables linking the three decoders?
Correct. However your original Explora will need to have a diplexer fitted for heartbeat (H/B) via SLNB which the installer should supply. The two new Exploras will probably be the new 2A model, they don't require diplexers.

3. Is the Unicable different to the other cable that connects to the decoder? (If I do a DIY setup, will I need to buy a different type of cable + different connectors for the unicable connection?)
Same RG6U cable, same connectors.

4. What is the max distance that the unicable can be used at? My furthest decoder will probably be +-45m away from the dish when running the cable in the ceiling, etc.
Here you have a problem;

.....The solution is likely to be to connect just that decoder's H/B conventionally via a RF port to a RF port on the primary, which would then require the extra cable for that connection.
Such a distance for a H/B cable is usually ok, but suggest you still use the higher quality RG6U to further ensure this.
I believe that 45m will be ok for the basic function of receiving the satellite signals from the SLNB, but I can't confirm.

==================================================
ADD-ON TO THE ABOVE BASIC SETUP

If the above setup is correct, I would also need to have one of the decoders out put its channel to a separate location via RF signal (as well as its HDMI signal to the TV where it is located), and have a TV eye to change the channels in the new location.

Would doing the above simply mean connecting a cable from the Explora to the RF port on the required TV, connecting the TV Eye to the cable, and activating the TV Link on the Explora decoder in order for the TV Eye to work?
Correct. If the decoder concerned is one of the ones which will be using an RF port for the extra needed H/B cable then that H/B connection should use the RF In port so that the TV with the TV Link can use the RF Out port.
The only complication would be if you have a terrestrial antenna that needs to feed into that RF In (but not difficult to sort out). It doesn't sound like that's a factor.

Lower RF channel numbers work best for signal quality, if not receiving any interference of course. Make sure both the decoder and the TV are set for the "PAL I" standard.

I Hope my above explanations are understandable, if not, please ask and I will clarify.

Thank you for reading.

Glad to help.

Note that each Explora's Home Network settings will need to be set so that each of their tuner 1 and 2 userband indexes and corresponding frequencies are different. Tuner 3 is often shared which is fine. The one user manual booklet gives details of this and the correct frequencies. For changes required all Indexes should be set first, then frequencies, to ensure that the decoders save the settings properly.

All the best with it.
Thank you for the detailed reply Optimist.

How do I go about connecting the diplexer? I have a SLX 2x2 splitter in my current setup, will that work instead of the diplexer?

As an aside, can I connect an Explora2 + Explora1 + Old HDPVR to get a threeway XV setup?
Old 2017-02-20 , 15:32
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Thank you for the detailed reply Optimist.

How do I go about connecting the diplexer? I have a SLX 2x2 splitter in my current setup, will that work instead of the diplexer?

As an aside, can I connect an Explora2 + Explora1 + Old HDPVR to get a threeway XV setup?
The SLX splitter is only for use on the RF side of the decoders for RF distribution. It cannot be used on the LNB side of the decoders at all.

No, the current 3 decoder combination does not allow any of the older decoders to be part of the combination, only Exploras and the HD decoders.

The Diplexer is placed right behind the Explora 1. The SLNB cable is connected to the port marked LNB or SAT IN.

A cable then goes form the SAT port on the Diplexer to the LNB in port on the Explora, and a 2nd cable goes from the port on the Diplexer that does not have DC path to the RF IN port on the Explora 1.

The 45 m length is going to be a challenge for HB reception from the Primary decoder. It may or may not work.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-02-20 at 15:42. .
Old 2017-02-20 , 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The SLX splitter is only for use on the RF side of the decoders for RF distribution. It cannot be used on the LNB side of the decoders at all.

No, the current 3 decoder combination does not allow any of the older decoders to be part of the combination, only Exploras and the HD decoders.
Hi Geoff

Thank you for the speedy reply.

Ok cool, that helps me out quite a bit, as I had these decoders laying around and thought I could make use of them again.

Can you provide me with a little bit more info as to how to use the diplexer to connect my old explora to the SLNB?
Old 2017-02-20 , 15:44
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Hi Geoff

Thank you for the speedy reply.

Ok cool, that helps me out quite a bit, as I had these decoders laying around and thought I could make use of them again.

Can you provide me with a little bit more info as to how to use the diplexer to connect my old explora to the SLNB?
Sorry I was busy with the previous post. I have added some detail there for you.

I presume that very distant decoder will NOT be required to remote control the other 2 decoders?
Old 2017-02-20 , 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post

All the best with it.
Correction - tuner 3's settings cannot be shared between an Explora 1 and an Explora 2a. It can only be shared between two of the same model Exploras.
But sharing won't be necessary with a SLNB anyway.
Old 2017-02-22 , 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Sorry I was busy with the previous post. I have added some detail there for you.

I presume that very distant decoder will NOT be required to remote control the other 2 decoders?
Thank you for the detailed reply Geoff.

Yeah, the distant decoder won't be needed to control the other decoders.
Old 2017-02-22 , 17:16
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed reply Geoff.

Yeah, the distant decoder won't be needed to control the other decoders.

Okay. If you have problems with HB reception on the distant decoder, connect it to one of the RF ports on the Primary decoder.

We have in the meantime established that while the Explora 1 can be kept as the Primary, it is better to make the Explora 2A the Primary decoder when a diplexer is used for the HB connection. That means the RF IN port on the Primary decoder will be available to use to distribute HB to that very distant decoder, via a second cable.
Old 2017-02-27 , 16:53
Still listens to the wireless

Default 3 Explore set up

Hi Guys

Thanks for this thread, i think i should have most of my questions from this thread, just want to confirm a few things please? Will be as short as possible

My current set up is as follows:

SD PVR
HD PVR
Quad LNB
2 coax cables run from LNB to SD PVR in Lounge
2 coax cables run from LNB to HD PVR in Bedroom 1
1 coax heartbeat cable from HD PVR in Bedroom 1 to SD PVR in Lounge
1 coax cable from HD PVR RF IN to TV 2 in Bedroom 2 affording the third independent viewing environment

I wish to maintain 3 independent viewing environments. I have an Explorer 1 and 2 x Explorer 2

Regarding the set-up:

1) Unicable will run from the new smart LNB to each decoder and a heartbeat from either Explorer 2 to the Explorer 1?
What is a diplexer and is it absolutely necessary i need one?

2) Do I need to replace any of my existing coax/RF cables?

Thanks guys!
Old 2017-02-27 , 19:28

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabzo View Post
1 coax cable from HD PVR RF IN to TV 2 in Bedroom 2 affording the third independent viewing environment
This part can't be correct, or you have misunderstood the term independence, for true third independence you would have the SD PVR's RF Out going to BR (bedroom) 2.
Either way, the RF feed for BR 2 would at least initially be coming from RF Out on one of the decoders.

Quote:
I wish to maintain 3 independent viewing environments. I have an Explorer 1 and 2 x Explorer 2

Regarding the set-up:

1) Unicable will run from the new smart LNB to each decoder and a heartbeat from either Explorer 2 to the Explorer 1?
No regarding the heartbeat (HB) - only ONE Explora will be the primary, and it MUST connect (somehow, see next set of answers) to both of the other two Exploras.
For best general results we now recommend using one of the Explora 2A decoders as the primary.

Quote:
What is a diplexer and is it absolutely necessary i need one?
It allows the RF-port-delivered/received HB to be shared with the LNB feed's cable, so that the HB can be distributed via the Smart LNB (SLNB).
You could instead connect an Explora 1 RF port to one of the RF ports on the designated primary Explora 2A.

The 2A's now have a diplexer built in, so they can automatically use either option.

Quote:
2) Do I need to replace any of my existing coax/RF cables?
Only if they are more than about 5 years old or show signs of deterioration.

Quote:
Thanks guys!
Glad to help, but personally I'm now limiting my help posts due to other personal needs. Sorry

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-02-27 at 19:45. . Reason: Tidy up