Forum > Decoders > Installation > 3 Decoder Xtraview?
Old 2017-01-03 , 12:51
Knows how to use a remote

Default 3 Decoder Xtraview?

Hi Guys

I'm not too sure if this is the right section for my query.

I received a call this morning from a company called On Air TV (www.onairtv.co.za) regarding my SD PVR.

They said they can offer me an alternate package that will replicate my existing 3 viewing environments (Xplora + SD PVR). I have tried to do a quick check on the DSTV website, and don't see anything regarding this setup.

I just wanted to know if this is a legitimate company offering a legitimate service?

Anymore info will be highly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 2017-01-03 , 12:57
MultiChoice

Hi, it's a legitimate offer.
The DStv Explora can be linked to two other decoders in XtraView.
The other two decoders need to be Exploras or the latest DStv HD single view decoder.
Monthly cost is your normal subscription, plus 2 x Access Fees of R85.
You'll then have HD viewing in 3 environments.
Keep in mind, your installation will likely need to be upgraded as the requirement for the Explora is an 80cm dish (SD PVR worked on 60cm) plus a DStv Smart LNB.
Hope this info helps.
Old 2017-01-03 , 13:19
Still gets up to change channels

Hi,

I had the exact same call.....

The package they offer also includes an installation with a new Smart LNB and a 80cm dish.

Because a am a bit of DIYer, I did a temp installation with my previous dish, and happy with the result. Now just waiting for the accredited installer to add the new dish and slnb so that I have less cables running over a long distance.

But, all is fine and if you take the package from ONAir, you will be more than satisfied. (If you still require 3 viewing envirenments)
Old 2017-01-03 , 22:26

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Just to clear things up for me:

1. Can I have 3 Exploras connected in the Xtraview setup?

2. If I take out the Price Lock offer that is currently at R949 (And purchase another decoder separately), would I still need to pay the second Access Fee of R85?

3. Can you please point me in the direction of how to setup the 3-Way Xtraview installation?

4. My current setup has an Explora connected to it, so I think I just might get away with my current dish. However the SLNB will need to be added into my setup.

5. Is MC still running the trade in special regarding the SD PVRs?

6. The installation that is included with the ONAir special, is it a limited installation; as in, do they do a simple installation in an optimum environment, and if there is any extra work required, then you are charged separately for it? And can I get any accredited MC installer to do it, or will I have to use the installer that is provided by ONAir?

7. Are the Exploras that are provided in the special the latest Explora 2 decoders, or the older Explora decoders?

Cheers

Last edited by curly; 2017-01-03 at 22:28. .
Old 2017-01-04 , 09:34
Changes remote batteries hourly

Hi, my answers are in blue;

Yes

2. If I take out the Price Lock offer that is currently at R949 (And purchase another decoder separately), would I still need to pay the second Access Fee of R85?
Yes.

3. Can you please point me in the direction of how to setup the 3-Way Xtraview installation?
The supplied installer will look into your needs and advise, each installation is different.

4. My current setup has an Explora connected to it, so I think I just might get away with my current dish. However the SLNB will need to be added into my setup.
Agreed

Yes they are, but I don't know how that would work in conjunction with the Price Lock offer - perhaps best to enquire with them.

6. The installation that is included with the ONAir special, is it a limited installation; as in, do they do a simple installation in an optimum environment, and if there is any extra work required, then you are charged separately for it? And can I get any accredited MC installer to do it, or will I have to use the installer that is provided by ONAir?
When installations are included in special offers they are always basic, so yes an extra charge would be levied for anything beyond that required.
They would supply an accredited installer, best to discuss this kind of detail with them as they are contracted to handle all the details.

7. Are the Exploras that are provided in the special the latest Explora 2 decoders, or the older Explora decoders?
I'm sure only the Explora 2A decoders as the original Explora is no longer available from retail suppliers.

That's as much as I know (and probably can't help you further today), believed accurate and I'm sure a Mod will correct anything I may have misunderstood. But for any more detail your best bet is to ask ONAir.
Enjoy! :-)

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-01-04 at 11:11. . Reason: Answer to point 2 wasn't accurate
Old 2017-01-04 , 11:05
MultiChoice

Hi
see below and let us know if there's any other info you need.

1. Yes
2. The second R85 only kicks in when you have three decoders linked. You can link other decoders even if you have price lock.
3. We really recommend the use of a DStv Accredited Installer - it really does depend on what you want. The nice thing with the DStv Smart LNB, is that you can have the decoders in different rooms, close to your TVs. An accredited installer can give you recommendations together with pricing.
4. Depends on your dish size - you need 80cm with Explora. Again an installer can advise.
5. Yes - there are three offers. See more info here
6. Depends on which deal you take. If you only buy one decoder, the installation includes connection to one point only and 25m of cable. There is also a total of 25kms travel. Any additional work / costs needs to be paid directly to the installer at the time of the installation. You will need to use the installers that we recommend - they are all accredited installers.
7. All deals are for the new DStv Explora 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Just to clear things up for me:

Cheers
Old 2017-01-07 , 06:23
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Anymore info will be highly appreciated.
Remember, it's going to cost you R85 a month more (that's R1020 a year) to get less functionality than you currently have. XtraKludge does not allow you to share content.

The remotes for the new Exploras have different (colour based) functionality to your current Explora making it confusing to view content on the separate decoders.

However, if each decoder is for a separate environment and you never record content in one environment to watch in another, then the new Explora is a better device. But, give it some good thought before you go down this expensive route.
Old 2017-01-07 , 09:29
Changes remote batteries hourly

One also has to note that;

1. The SD PVR is not future proof, it will not be able to get some or all of the new future services, especially anything delivered on the Hi Band transponders which will be on the new additional satellite.
That said, it can still be fully used for quite a long time to come. But already no further software development is being done and it can no longer be repaired / replaced by the MC service centres. The model is many years old now.

2. The new arrangement allows for all available HD content within every factor of the 3 decoders' usage.

3. I too would prefer the more international standard of content sharing that Simon loves with overseas decoders, but adequate setups do allow for any decoder's content to be watched and controlled from any TV (as is the case in my setup).
There are theories that MC may be planning some sort of future shared between decoders content using the Smart LNB (SLNB), but as I say... just theories, so far there's been no concrete proof or any such mention.

4. Moving in the direction MC is moving is well recommended to keep up with personal usage requirements as any changes develop.
Old 2017-01-07 , 18:29
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
3. I too would prefer the more international standard of content sharing that Simon loves with overseas decoders, but adequate setups do allow for any decoder's content to be watched and controlled from any TV (as is the case in my setup).
IF you can remember which colour is linked to which decoder linked to which channel number on your TV. ;-)

Remember, this "functionality" will cost you one thousand rand a year.

Edit : I wonder if this was mentioned to the original poster.

Last edited by Simon; 2017-01-07 at 20:43. .
Old 2017-01-07 , 22:02

Thank you all for the replies everybody.

My main reason for going the 3-way Xtraview is that my SD PVR is giving me problems by having frequent reboots during primetime viewing, which is causing me headaches because the people that watch at that time in the house are getting frustrated with it. For example, it will reboot at 9pm, and then reboot at 9:30pm everyday without fail. It takes a good 10-15 minutes to do the rescan before I can view the live broadcast again! Frustrating to say the least.

My current setup (Explora + SD PVR) allows for me to view all the recorded content from both decoders via RF cable on my TVs. Though I think if I get a dedicated Explora for the three main viewing environments, I would not need this feature; as I only make use of this when my SD PVR is rebooting, and I need to switch to the Explora to carry on watching live TV.

However, my main concern going the 3-way XV is to have at least one of the Explora decoders to output simultaneously via HDMI to the TV where it is located (Lounge), as well as outputting via RF feed to a "Fourth" TV in a different room (Parents room) with the ability to change channels with a TV Link Eye.

===========================================
I have a few more installation queries that I need clarified.

Just so I am on the same page, is the below basic setup the way the 3 way Xtraview works?

BASIC SETUP

- Dish with Smart LNB
- Unicable 1 to Explora 1
- Unicable 2 to Explora 2
- Unicable 3 to Explora 3*
* (Will also need to output content from one of the Explora's to a separate environment via RF cable, as stated above)

1. Does the primary decoder need to be in the Unicable 1 slot?
2. I take it that the heartbeat is done at the SLNB so there is no need for the HB cables linking the three decoders?
3. Is the Unicable different to the other cable that connects to the decoder? (If I do a DIY setup, will I need to buy a different type of cable + different connectors for the unicable connection?)
4. What is the max distance that the unicable can be used at? My furthest decoder will probably be +-45m away from the dish when running the cable in the ceiling, etc.

==================================================
ADD-ON TO THE ABOVE BASIC SETUP

If the above setup is correct, I would also need to have one of the decoders out put its channel to a separate location via RF signal (as well as its HDMI signal to the TV where it is located), and have a TV eye to change the channels in the new location.

Would doing the above simply mean connecting a cable from the Explora to the RF port on the required TV, connecting the TV Eye to the cable, and activating the TV Link on the Explora decoder in order for the TV Eye to work?

I Hope my above explanations are understandable, if not, please ask and I will clarify.

Thank you for reading.