Forum > Broadcast Errors > Broadcast Errors > Initial interruption to sound at start and after ad breaks
Old 2016-12-23 , 08:34
Changes remote batteries hourly

Exclamation Initial interruption to sound at start and after ad breaks

I think this will be the best place for this thread.
This is something I've been meaning to question for ages. Happens on my Explora I, can't say re other decoders.

On both live-broadcast TV and CU, on M-Net Group channels, almost everytime any program starts or returns from an ad break there's a momentary loss of audio. At times it's quite a bit worse than it "normally" is.
This at times causes one to miss the opening words being said.
It has nothing to do with my equipment, I've seen this happen for years under a variety of conditions and equipment used.
I'm sure others can confirm, and hope someone will here.

I believe it is some sort of splicing bug.
It needs to somehow get fixed please.
Thanks.
Old 2016-12-23 , 08:53
Changes remote batteries daily

Will have a listen. Can't say that I've noticed, although I wasn't looking for it
40Mb VDSL (ISP AH Capped Unshaped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2016-12-23 , 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke7777 View Post
Will have a listen. Can't say that I've noticed, although I wasn't looking for it
I keep forgetting about it as it's usually not a practical interruption problem, I think the subconscious ignores such things after a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
I believe it is some sort of splicing bug.
Another possibility this may be related to - a couple of years ago MC & co. were trying to find a way to deal with sections of audio that strongly peaked (are too loud), and the solution which now dampens the audio level takes quite a bit too long a period of time to recover. So if the opening scene involved is too loud then this may be the reason for the loss of initial audio.
Old 2016-12-23 , 09:09
Knows how to use a remote

I have picked it up as well and like you said as far as I can tell it's only the mnet channels.
Old 2016-12-23 , 17:06
Knows how to use a remote

I believe my primary Explora only does that when the sound is diverted via the optical interface to the home theater system. It doesn't do it on my secondary decoder where the sound goes directly to the TV.

But on the secondary Explora I do have a problem of the sound lagging the video on on certain programs on Kyknet, for example. Has anybody else experienced this?
Old 2016-12-23 , 17:28

My Explora goes as directly as possible to the many TVs here (and that is all regularly checked / adjusted for various tech needs which makes no difference), on HDMI, composite and RF. I'm certain that factor is not related here, it is a transmitted issue. Strange, perhaps your secondary's TV auto-adjusts audio.

Although not appearing widely serious, the bug can really ruin the start of some things and has had us very annoyed at times, I'm sure many others will feel the same.

Haven't experienced any sound lagging video on the whole, that issue could be related to surround sound so it may be best to put it in its own thread in the PVR Decoders section. (We mostly stopped using surround sound years ago, found it irritating too often with the way many productions over-use or poorly use it )

Happy holidays everyone, cheers!
Old 2016-12-23 , 20:08

One more thing... I better at least give an example.

Can't find any instance of it on CU anymore so perhaps they've already picked up on it.

The only recording from one of those channels still on my Explora is Friday morning's express episode of Incorporated - the opening 1 to 2 seconds are completely audio dead in this case.
Checked this on HDMI, and then on RF to an old CRT TV, same thing.

Last edited by Optimist; 2016-12-24 at 08:18. . Reason: Correct day
Old 2017-02-19 , 19:54

Happening again, please would MC check this week's broadcast episode of Suits on 101. I recorded it during its first transmission and watched that.

EDIT: I may be misremembering, it could have been the live first broadcast of this week's Elementary on 102. Can't be anything else.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-02-19 at 20:09. .
Old 2017-02-28 , 14:30
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default Been happening for years

This has been happening for years, on my current explora and on the 4 tuner Pace PVR we used to have. I'm so used to it that I use the dropout as confirmation I'm in the right place when I've fast-forwarded though an ad break!
DStv Premium. 80 cm dish, smart LNB; Explora 1 with HDMI (picture) and optical fibre (sound) connections to Marantz NR1501 5.1 AV receiver; HDMI passthrough to Sony Bravia TV with Full HD; Jamo surround speakers. Plus 4136 on XtraView.
Old 2017-03-06 , 08:53
Changes remote batteries daily

I have also noticed this. Only on Edge also only if I am behind live TV

Explora