Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Now > Your DStv Now video experience just got a whole lot better
Old 2016-11-23 , 16:21
MultiChoice

Default Your DStv Now video experience just got a whole lot better

MultiChoiceís TV on-the-go service, DStv Now has improved its online customer experience by revamping its video player offering. All DStv Premium customers who stream content through the new native HTML video player, will enjoy the convenience of never having to download another plug-in again. Customers can watch their favourite shows instantaneously through reduced buffering and adaptive bitrates.

DStv has done this in response to technology shifts and global trends, thereby making its web services platform-agnostic.

Head of DStv Digital Media, Graeme Cumming, is excited about this new development and says, ďWe think its only natural to move in a direction where emphasis is put on the user experience and content delivery.Ē

Best in class TV series, movies and documentaries offered by DStv can be streamed natively through the built-in HTML video player across Windows; Mac; and Linux, which is supported on Firefox and Chrome. With DStvís new video player, customers donít have to worry about bloatware, along with incessant updates every few weeks.

DStvís native video player is smart enough to adapt to bitrates. It will automatically detect a customerís connection speed and adapt the video accordingly, saving unnecessary data costs. Stream quality can be adjusted manually through the settings icon on the video player within the browser. The lowest quality stream will start at 400x224 at 370kbps, and will be capped at 960x540 at 1200kbps.

DStv Now, the service that brings you sport, movies, series and so much more, now has over 60 channels available for streaming, to complement an already packed Catch Up catalogue.

DStv Now can be accessed online or through the app for tablets and smartphones. The app is free to download on the Google Play Store or Apple App Store and is available to all DStv customers. Live channels and DStv Catch Up content is only available to DStv Premium customers with an active PVR (data costs will apply when streaming content).

Downloading your favourite episodes is now available exclusively on the free DStv app (website downloads have been discontinued).

Log onto dstv.com/now and start catching up!
Old 2016-11-24 , 11:10
Changes remote batteries daily

I see that DSTV Now is about to support ChromeCast. Is there any update on Airplay support?

With this, I can finally ditch my trusty SDPVR. The third channel can then be streamed to the Apple TV as necessary.
Old 2016-11-24 , 12:34
MultiChoice

I am not sure - have asked the Group GM for DStv Digital Media to give me a response. Pls hang tight.
Old 2016-11-24 , 12:44
MultiChoice

Quick answer here: Airplay and Chromecast are already technically possible with the app - we're waiting for studio approval. We'll advice you as soon as it is available.
Old 2016-11-24 , 13:12
Changes remote batteries daily

Awesome. Thanks.
Old 2016-11-25 , 15:09
Still listens to the wireless

Since this change, I can no longer stream LiveTV or CatchUp on now.dstv.com.

Normally where you click play, there is a message "[object Object]".

What does that mean?

That error needs to be resolved with error handling.

A more user friendly error message would save everyone a lot of time trying to figure out what is wrong.

I understand that DStvís new native video player might have a few bugs.

I updated Flash.
I restarted my laptop.
But I still get the message "[object Object]" using the latest version of Chrome 54.0.2840.99 m (64-bit) and Firefox.

I figured out that apparently my 2Mbps ADSL line is too "slow".

But I never previously had a problem using now.dstv.com with my 2Mbps ADSL line.

I always used to stream LivTV and CatchUp without any buffering or waiting.

2Mbps is 2000kbps, which should be enough to stream.

I tried using now.dstv.com on a 10Mbps and everything works, and NO error saying [object Object].

Please change the software to allow me to stream on my 2Mbps ADSL line like I always used to.

I can stream LiveTV and CatchUp with my 2Mbps ADSL line using the DSTV Now Android app, and it works with the app setting for maximum video quality, "1.2 GB / hr".

If the Android app can stream over a 2Mbps ADSL line then surely the website can also.

I would guess the problem in the software code is when DStvís native video player automatically detects my connection speed, it gets stuck and generates the error [object Object].

Attached is a screenshot of the error.
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 11-25-16 at 03.05 PM.JPG (263.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 2016-11-26 , 11:03
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_ View Post
Since this change, I can no longer stream LiveTV or CatchUp on now.dstv.com.

Normally where you click play, there is a message "[object Object]".

What does that mean?

That error needs to be resolved with error handling.

A more user friendly error message would save everyone a lot of time trying to figure out what is wrong.

I understand that DStvís new native video player might have a few bugs.

I updated Flash.
I restarted my laptop.
But I still get the message "[object Object]" using the latest version of Chrome 54.0.2840.99 m (64-bit) and Firefox.

I figured out that apparently my 2Mbps ADSL line is too "slow".

But I never previously had a problem using now.dstv.com with my 2Mbps ADSL line.

I always used to stream LivTV and CatchUp without any buffering or waiting.

2Mbps is 2000kbps, which should be enough to stream.

I tried using now.dstv.com on a 10Mbps and everything works, and NO error saying [object Object].

Please change the software to allow me to stream on my 2Mbps ADSL line like I always used to.

I can stream LiveTV and CatchUp with my 2Mbps ADSL line using the DSTV Now Android app, and it works with the app setting for maximum video quality, "1.2 GB / hr".

If the Android app can stream over a 2Mbps ADSL line then surely the website can also.

I would guess the problem in the software code is when DStvís native video player automatically detects my connection speed, it gets stuck and generates the error [object Object].

Attached is a screenshot of the error.
Thanks.
Hi Bob - We've escalated your query to our support team.
Old 2016-11-28 , 12:36
Still gets up to change channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Pamela View Post
Hi Bob - We've escalated your query to our support team.
Hi Pamela,

This is not an individual issue. Countless individuals are experiences similar problems with your streaming service. Just read through the comments on social media and on various forums online. Lots of people have been experiencing issues with streaming, its almost impossible to stream any sport recently.

Last edited by ratty; 2016-11-28 at 12:39. .
Old 2016-11-28 , 13:19
Technical Myriad

So, what about MS Edge?

Does the new player/app, whatever it is called support Microsoft Edge?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2016-11-29 , 14:09
Knows how to use a remote

Guys please can you sort out the bandwidth and load problems with supersport.com and DStv now.

Last weekend I could not watch anything for longer than 5 seconds. I used different ISPs over ADSL and I even tried to use my LTE phone with no success.
It seems like this always happens now.

Last edited by bo0m; 2016-11-29 at 14:11. .
Tags
dstv now, player, streaming